• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dave Ramsey is a Fag

biggame10683

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2009
DFW
Ya I said it, I just have this big issue with this clown. Dave Ramsey is on all the time telling people exactly how to do things like he has something locked away that the rest of us wish we had. Without going into this big rant I just wanted to see if anyone other is upset with him?

Re: Dave Ramsey is a Fag

LOL I don't know about his sexual preferences but I think his cold hard truth on getting and staying out of debt is spot on.

The doc says not to push when you take a shit or you will get hemroids. Like Daves advice it is spot on but who the fluck can shit without pushing. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he is a douche as well, he never mentions that he claimed bankruptcy </div></div>

That's a incorrect statement the little that I have listened to him on the radio he has mentioned his own bankruptcy a handful of times. Most people that have a hard time with what Ramsey says are in the denial stange.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he is a douche as well, he never mentions that he claimed bankruptcy </div></div>

That's a incorrect statement the little that I have listened to him on the radio he has mentioned his own bankruptcy a handful of times. Most people that have a hard time with what Ramsey says are in the denial stange. </div></div>

really, so what am I in denial of?

I have been to one of Dave Ramsey's meetings and all of his advice is basically commonsense that our grandparents and mothers and fathers grew up on. Stay out of debt, don't cosign, save up to buy, buy used cars etc... Following his principles will keep you out of trouble. In his talks he mentions his bankruptcy and I saw an episode on 60 minutes or something and he appears to live what he preaches..so he is good by me. The only thing I don't follow that he advocates is that I do own one credit card...I mostly use a debit card. Biggame, I am curious to what you don't like about him...have you listened to any of his radio shows for any length of time? One more thing I like about him is that he does a lot of work with military families that often struggle financially..He often does it for free or for a very reduced charge...

Re: Dave Ramsey

I saw a video of one of his presentations. He is very honest with his past - making riches and then falling on his face. His basic message of getting out of debt is a no-brainer. Its the 'application' of that statement that is extremely difficult in our society. I want to see one of his his complete video seminars next year to get the full picture before commenting further, as my first hand experiece with his info is limited.

I think people getting into debt because they bought too much stuff (as opposed to losing job, emergency medical stuff, etc) are mostly a function of poor self-esteem. Most poeple buy crap they don't need for no reason than to show other people and their reaction/envy makes them feel good.

The easy access to credit enabled this 'I want to live like a rock star on a janitor's salary' and now people are getting their financial asses handed to them.

I've spent a lot of cash on the few firearms I have. To me, each one is a near top of the line or top drawer item. But each time it's been with money I've had left over from contributions to the 401k, to the home deposit fund, the baby-on-the-way fund and sundry bills. A little bit aside, regularly adds up and you'd be surprised what's affordable without needing to dip into debt.

When you force yourself to take out vanity from your primary expenditures, a LOT of money gets freed up. That's what I found anyway.

Good luck to all who are working their way out of debt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillyLo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to eat more fruit, fiber and stay hydrated. </div></div>

This is in regards to the question who doesn't push when you need to shit. lol

He is a stand up guy that has helped people get out of debt due to living past their means. I have heard him many times tell of his failures and the way he lost everything including bankruptcy.

We're DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Wow, I didn't even know the guy was controversial enough to make someone dislike him. I guess there are haters for everybody
laugh.gif

I retract my previos statement, I only listened to him a handful of times, I always got the impression he just spoke what everyone else already should know, common sense. I had no idea he helped out military personell, that is a pretty stand up thing to do.

Allot like Dr. Phil. He just has no compassion and thinks he knows it all. Have listened to his radio and TV show but he was just on Neil Cavuto and it pushed me over the edge, just happened to be on the Hide at that min. The overall point is staying out of debt and if he helps some people thats great but he makes me angry( just like the biggest looser show)
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...like he has something locked away that the rest of us wish we had.</div></div>

Based on books sales apparently, he does.

Hes a smart cat. Obviously hes got something going on, as hes making bank after he lost it all (which he mentions often).

Just because someone sells books and making bank dont say anything for them ie OPRAH that HO.

To keep it all in perspective, I look at Dave Ramsey as a financial entertainer first and expert second. Just like Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, etc...political entertainers first, experts second or third or fourth...

People who live their lives based on the advise of a voice on the radio or a talking head on TV are fools. They can provide good information and entertainment, but NOTHING replaces talking with true professionals who are not selling a product (ratings in this case).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think people getting into debt because they bought too much stuff (as opposed to losing job, emergency medical stuff, etc) are mostly a function of poor self-esteem. Most poeple buy crap they don't need for no reason than to show other people and their reaction/envy makes them feel good.
</div></div>

That does seem to be the common thinking, however it is a lot more involved than than. A lot of it has to do with the cost of housing and education and also all the whole financial industry trying to bleed people dry and people wind up trapped before they even know what happened.

An interesting watch is this interview / documentary featuring Obama's Consumer protection Czar, she actually spells out quite a bit of details on how exactly people go bankrupt.

Interview Video
Lecture Series

While the basics of spend less than you make and always save and don't go into debt always are vaild, sometimes it's very helpful to actually see where the hits happen.

Dave's plan makes sense and his course gives you all of the tools you need to get out of debt and stay out of debt! I've taken Financial Peace University and will be one of over 500 facilitators for his course through my Church in February. I'm not out of debt yet but the only debt I have left is a second mortgage on my house and the house itself (House is not bad debt but second mortgage is...). Cars are paid for, credit-cards are gone! He's very forward and aggressive because that's what most of us need to get our heads out of our asses! He shows you step by step what to do and how to do it. I completely understand if that rubs you the wrong way... It did me too. But I realized that even if I wanted to go about getting out of debt by my own means it would take me years to figure out what really works and what doesn't. Dave has already done the leg-work and covers all of the bases. When you understand the big picture you realize how the pieces all fall into place with Dave Ramsey's system and he explains every step.

Yes, I drank the Kool-aid... And I like it!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To keep it all in perspective, I look at Dave Ramsey as a financial entertainer first and expert second. Just like Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, etc...political entertainers first, experts second or third or fourth...

People who live their lives based on the advise of a voice on the radio or a talking head on TV are fools. They can provide good information and entertainment, but NOTHING replaces talking with true professionals who are not selling a product (ratings in this case). </div></div>

applause-3.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To keep it all in perspective, I look at Dave Ramsey as a financial entertainer first and expert second. Just like Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, etc...political entertainers first, experts second or third or fourth...

People who live their lives based on the advise of a voice on the radio or a talking head on TV are fools. They can provide good information and entertainment, but NOTHING replaces talking with true professionals who are not selling a product (ratings in this case). </div></div>

Wow Dave... I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment here. Dave Ramsey is definitely an expert on getting out of debt first. If you went through the course you would understand but you'll probably never go through the course because he charges you $99.00 for it and that only fuels your problem with it in the first place. It's kind of a double-edge sword. I'm sure Dave Ramsey is making Millions on what he preaches but that's OK with me. He has put together a no-nonsense approach to getting out of debt and living a more comfortable, less stressful life and it really works! I wish I had thought of it but I'm just not that smart.

The other guys you mentioned are different in that they're on the outside looking in when it comes to their thoughts and opinions. Dave Ramsey is on the inside looking out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I retract my previos statement, I only listened to him a handful of times, I always got the impression he just spoke what everyone else already should know, common sense. I had no idea he helped out military personell, that is a pretty stand up thing to do. </div></div>

You hit the nail on the head....he is not preaching anything revolutionary or magical...just common sense. The sad commentary lies in the vast number of people who need to hear it because they either have no common sense or think that the common rules of economic reality don't apply to them. It truly is amazing the huge number of people who cannot grasp the fact that if you spend at a faster rate than you earn, there will be problems
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To keep it all in perspective, I look at Dave Ramsey as a financial entertainer first and expert second. Just like Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, etc...political entertainers first, experts second or third or fourth...

Wow Dave... I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment here. Dave Ramsey is definitely an expert on getting out of debt first. If you went through the course you would understand but you'll probably never go through the course because he charges you $99.00 for it and that only fuels your problem with it in the first place. It's kind of a double-edge sword. I'm sure Dave Ramsey is making Millions on what he preaches but that's OK with me. He has put together a no-nonsense approach to getting out of debt and living a more comfortable, less stressful life and it really works! I wish I had thought of it but I'm just not that smart.

The other guys you mentioned are different in that they're on the outside looking in when it comes to their thoughts and opinions. Dave Ramsey is on the inside looking out. </div></div>

Please re-read my post. I'm not anti Ramsey or Beck or Hannity or Limbaugh or [fill in the blank] I've listened to Ramsey alot and agree with just about everything he says. The problem is when people buy into programs instead of professionals. Most of these guys have some kind of step-by-step program with clever names attached. Slick three ring binders, DVD's, bumper stickers, welcome mats, place mats, ...the list goes on and on. Most of these guys take a hand full of basic principles and put together a marketing scheme that hocks over priced bling. Ramsey's advise is painfully simple. Get out of debt and live within your means. There, I said it without selling books and bling. I think Ramsey and the boys have done a great service to America by pulling the blinders off and preaching a simple, logical, factual message. My problem lies with the mindless masses, not the messengers. (Not implying that you are one of the mindless masses
wink.gif
)

I did work for banks a long time ( Loans ). I will never do that work again and dislike with a passion all things bank. I dont even keep $50 bucks in anymore. The hole system is corrupt and set up to make <span style="font-weight: bold">you</span> fail. I will be the first to tell anyone have no debt ( you can not serve 2 masters ). Im not against the message just the messenger. O and just an FYI all debt is bad --- If you bought a home 2005 and still have it chances are you are in a upside down 20+ year loss pattern.

Debt is a tool. Like any other tool, it can be used intelligently, or stupidly.

I have debt, at an interest rate that is less than what my investments are making. That's an example of a good use of debt, especially when, should it be necessary, I can write a check to pay off the debt.

Saying all debt is bad is as stupid as blindly incurring debt.

Lindy it might be good for you but all debt is exactly that. Many have used it as a tool and taken off a leg and/or arm. On a time scale it is 100% fact that it will always cost you money every time. ( lots of examples from rich to poor )

Debt & leverage are poortly understood by most. Used correctly it is a valuable method to enhancing wealth and / or security. Biggame is correct, it will cost you money every time but few good or services are free but at current levels debt is as cheap as its ever been, albeit more difficult to access than its been for a long time.

Debt can't be recommended to everyone in every instance but used smartly it can be an awesome weapon in your armoury.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biggame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lindy it might be good for you but all debt is exactly that. Many have used it as a tool and taken off a leg and/or arm. On a time scale it is 100% fact that it will always cost you money every time. ( lots of examples from rich to poor ) </div></div>

I also have to point out that if you wait to save up enough money to start your own business instead of borrowing the money, you'll die before you get started. It costs money to make money over 90% of the time. If you make smart decisions and work hard, those will come back to you and you'll be prosperous.

Dave Ramsey has excellent advice if you follow it. He's taken something very simple that makes sense and made a lot of money from it. He helps people who are willing to make the effort to climb out of their debt, and his system works if you play by his rules. I don't think there's anything stupid or holier-than-thou about it. If it wasn't him saying it, it would be someone else. Apparently, he's good at what he does or he wouldn't be so well known.

Funny thing listening to Dave Ramsey. Did all the stuff he said and I only have 'house' or good debt. As of this morning I am essentially free of any other debt outside of our house payment. The basic monthly bills of fiberoptic cable(CDE power, TV, 'net), insurances, food and gas I now have an average of $180 a month to just sit on if we want.
Funny thing Mr. Ramsey's advice, it comes very close to what we were told by our financial advisor and fuduciary. Now we have a little to save each month to rebuild the savings, and at tax time we will have next year's Christmas funds, a little savings, and a few more shares to divirsify our long terms with.
Only a real douche would discredit Ramsey's basic philosophies. They are the fundamentals of what it takes to be financially stable, and allow the ability to enjoy retirement without social security. Like a 'Money' magazine, just take what you read, and what Ramsey speaks about and use what actually applies to YOU. The rest is obviously not for your situation and is not needed, but you cannot say with accuracy that all his information is garbage when he only speaks to the basic fundamental's that apply to a general population

Following Dave's advice helped us pay our way of pretty heavy credit card debt. While I don't know his sexual preference, I don't care. But his financial experience is pretty good.

Here is the deal with Dave Ramsey. People who follow his program vastly improve their financial lives and this country would be WAY better off if most people would follow his advice about living within their means. Not sure why the OP has a problem with a guy advocating PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. If people didnt need his advice he would have no market.
He is "extreme" as someone put it about debt because it has destroyed a lot of lives in this country. It can be a tool for people with a lot of discipline, but the simple fact is that the financial statistics any one can find out about in a couple of minutes of research prove that the vast majority of people dont have that discipline.
Think of debt as a weapon. It can be a tool for good purpose or a danger. Which one it is depends on your discipline and training. Dave Ramsey is the DI doling out that training to an American public in dire need of it. If you have already been through basic training and have that knowledge feel free to ignore him.

Dave's job (on the radio) is to generate ad revenue for stations. He does this with a simple, yet effective message and some mild entertainment value. If the message didn't work, he wouldn't have the staying power he does. Again, there isn't enough entertainment value to keep people coming back if the message was BS.

That said, you simply can't go wrong with Dave's advice. If you follow his steps to the letter, it's idiot proof. HOWEVER, you could go "more right" if you are willing to use debt as a tool as others have referenced. But then you run into risk/reward scenarios that most people don't want to deal with or aren't smart enough to use properly.

Final point, if the US government lived by Dave's savings and pay-go rules...the Chi-coms wouldn't have us by the balls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think people getting into debt because they bought too much stuff (as opposed to losing job, emergency medical stuff, etc) are mostly a function of poor self-esteem. Most poeple buy crap they don't need for no reason than to show other people and their reaction/envy makes them feel good.
</div></div>

That does seem to be the common thinking, however it is a lot more involved than than. A lot of it has to do with the cost of housing and education and also all the whole financial industry trying to bleed people dry and people wind up trapped before they even know what happened.

An interesting watch is this interview / documentary featuring Obama's Consumer protection Czar, she actually spells out quite a bit of details on how exactly people go bankrupt.

Interview Video
Lecture Series

While the basics of spend less than you make and always save and don't go into debt always are vaild, sometimes it's very helpful to actually see where the hits happen. </div></div>

Why doesn't she talk to Obama and the Legislative Branch since they are bankrupting our country? Dave should send his books to every member of Congress as well as BO.

What I find most amazing is that he is a millionaire today for giving financial advice that is on par with 'never let the muzzle cover anything that you don't intend to destroy'.

Really? Is that where we are as a society? Is there is such a shortage of common sense in this country that if you can dispense a little, you can have seven or eight figures to your name?

Or is it that we have a nation that may intellectually know the common sense answer but because we have been coddled to death we need a professional handholder / cheerleader?

Good luck

ps - we've all got some food / water / gas / spare parts set aside - right? (Some more of that common sense stuff)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave's plan makes sense and his course gives you all of the tools you need to get out of debt and stay out of debt! I've taken Financial Peace University and will be one of over 500 facilitators for his course through my Church in February. I'm not out of debt yet but the only debt I have left is a second mortgage on my house and the house itself (House is not bad debt but second mortgage is...). Cars are paid for, credit-cards are gone! He's very forward and aggressive because that's what most of us need to get our heads out of our asses! He shows you step by step what to do and how to do it. I completely understand if that rubs you the wrong way... It did me too. But I realized that even if I wanted to go about getting out of debt by my own means it would take me years to figure out what really works and what doesn't. Dave has already done the leg-work and covers all of the bases. When you understand the big picture you realize how the pieces all fall into place with Dave Ramsey's system and he explains every step.

Yes, I drank the Kool-aid... And I like it!!!</div></div>
Well said! We are in his training as well. It's just plain common sense. If you want to stay in debt by all means continue charging and taking loans for everything you own.... But I tell you there is a better way.......
.....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there is such a shortage of common sense in this country that if you can dispense a little, you can have seven or eight figures to your name?</div></div>

Common sense is an uncommon commodity.

I really like Dave Ramsey, been listening to him for years. He has some great information and if I could only do 1/2 of what he preaches I would be a lot better off.

It's funny, my parents and grandparents took years to obtain the things they have. It seems that people from my generation don't want to wait to earn these things, they want them right now.

We all need to teach our children what Dave Ramsey teaches or at least a version of it.

Little known fact is that after Dave Ramsey became a millionaire again, he went back and repaid all his creditors from his bankruptcy.

Somebody tell me how they can hold that against him. A rich guy with some integrity as well, hmmm.

His advice in his books goes a lot deeper than just a "don't buy what you can't pay for" message. He goes into creating a multiple step program for getting out of debt, an easy plan that people can stick to. My wife and I are on the plan and doing really well. Won't be long and we'll have only the house payment.

Branden