• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision DBAL A2 (AN/PEQ 15A) questions

They are restricted to Mil/LE only. There is a civ version, the D2, which has a low power pointer (.7mW IIRC) and a LED IR illuminator, quite usable for most individuals, good to about 200m.

They are restricted to Mil/LE only. There is a civ version, the D2, which has a low power pointer (.7mW IIRC) and a LED IR illuminator, quite usable for most individuals, good to about 200m.

The Laser Devices DBAL D2 has the same IR laser power as the PEQ15 on "low" setting. All that's missing is the high laser setting, which most people don't need or use anyway because it causes excessive bloom in your NVGs. The high position is usually used for target marking at long range, not CQB. Fire a PEQ-15 up on high even at 100 yards and you won't see the target for the bloom.

The DBAL-D2 is a great unit and Camille at Mod Armory has them in stock. It also has a visible laser available in red or green and a good IR illuminator.

I use the CQBL-1 IR/red dual beam laser and a stand-alone IR/white illuminator (Surefire M-720V Raid) so that I can detach the illuminator and use it as a hand-held light without disturbing my laser alignment.

I also highly recommend the Luna Optics Extended Range IR Illuminator, which despite coming from Belarus is the most powerful IR illuminator I've ever seen, and highly reliable too. Gives a nice tight clean usable beam out past 800 meters.

The A2 is a great laser, if you can get one. Do you know which version it is? Is the "fire" button on top of the unit round or rectangular ?

I have a nvec vital-2 if you have something to trade. Only thing is the ir on those is for close in use. It's hardly used

The A2 is a great laser, if you can get one. Do you know which version it is? Is the "fire" button on top of the unit round or rectangular ?
I just bought one. It's on the way. It has a round button in the photo. Why? Is there a difference?

It's been my experience that the newer version(round fire button) has better performance from the illuminator than the earlier version.

Someone just snagged an actual legit one off of eBay for a cool price of $2700. Skypup, was the you?

If you want to look super awesome without having any more real world practicality than a good class 1 ir laser it sure as hell is a steal.

Your right about some of that. I wouldn't want it for the laser, the illuminator is simply amazing on it! It will blow the dbal d2 out of the water hands down.... You can focus the beam in so tight that you can make shots way out past the d2.

I know a guy that just got one that's like new with a dual pressure switch for a sure fire light and all factory accessories. For $2150 shipped. It is the boss hawg of all lasers/illuminators I've ever used.

I doubt if one is able to come by a legit one for less than $2000. It looks like your friend got a deal.

This one is legit.... Came with everything from the factory. It was contractor aquired property. All serial numbers in tack and not scratched off or painted over.

Your right about some of that. I wouldn't want it for the laser, the illuminator is simply amazing on it! It will blow the dbal d2 out of the water hands down.... You can focus the beam in so tight that you can make shots way out past the d2.

I know a guy that just got one that's like new with a dual pressure switch for a sure fire light and all factory accessories. For $2150 shipped. It is the boss hawg of all lasers/illuminators I've ever used.

Yeah I'm just being a goober. The illuminator is as stout as any, with the exception of some restricted handheld units, or the surefire Hellfighter with IR filter. The high setting is just so stinking bright though, that its not that useful for MOST aiming. It is useful for target designation though. However, since Im not in the service anymore, Ive had a hard time getting any apache's to respond to my call for fire requests on my Motorola walkabout. It's like they just leave you swaying in the breeze when you get out!

Screw the hellfire. I want the new Fenix RC40 handheld with 3500 lumens. It's only a few hundred, and includes a rechargeable battery. Sure the Hellfire would be the one to get if you are hunting hogs with a 50bmg machine gun. Both of these models have more flood than reach so they would only be good for a few hundred yards.

Yeah I'm just being a goober. The illuminator is as stout as any, with the exception of some restricted handheld units, or the surefire Hellfighter with IR filter. The high setting is just so stinking bright though, that its not that useful for MOST aiming. It is useful for target designation though. However, since Im not in the service anymore, Ive had a hard time getting any apache's to respond to my call for fire requests on my Motorola walkabout. It's like they just leave you swaying in the breeze when you get out!

That's fucking funny. I called for an A-10 airstrike the other night, neighbors were partying too loud. Fuckers never showed up, I had the target lased and my buddy was pulling rear security. We sat there ALL night! Had to didi mao at stand to though. We thought they were in the AO at one point, we tried to signal but wound up lasing a 787 instead. FBI came to check it out, they just left when we told them we were on a mission, OPSEC and all, and that they'd have to contact our command stationed at the local VFW (a good cover).

Just kidding, couldn't resist.

The high beams are mostly for designation. The class1 works pretty well (well, the low setting on a PEQ2A) to accurately hit targets to 300m. I know this because about half the students had the safety blocks on when we did it. Even on low, the illuminator on the PEQ is the tits. It can be focused much better, it's collimated light (basically a wide angle laser). Still, the soft glow of the surefire IR lights is much more useable under normal conditions, so I use one of those grip lights (the 720v is the same but no grip). I usually just leave the laser on low. Like was said, on high, it just blooms the shit out of everything. So I'll likely get one of those civvie lasers myself one day, since they are smaller.

Be careful buying PEQ's off ebay. They report all this stuff to the army. I know because they told me when I tried to post some old armor on there (which can be bought by the stack at surplus stores here, so I doubt it's stolen --CID makes regular visits I hear). Then when they have time, two or three years later, they'll come looking for IT. They won't want you, just their shit back. I read about that on other forums. One guy gave the NCIS his NODs, when they were actually looking for a stolen 3x magnifier he bought. He got 'em to come back and swap it out.

Hahaha y'all crack me up! I'm gonna borrow the PEQ from my buddy to go hog hunting with some good friends of mine. I'm not gonna tellem I have it. Ill say there's a hog, "where", riiiight there and light it up with that 2000,000 mega watt laser on the PEQ and listen for the..... Wooooooooow

Lol

Hahaha y'all crack me up! I'm gonna borrow the PEQ from my buddy to go hog hunting with some good friends of mine. I'm not gonna tellem I have it. Ill say there's a hog, "where", riiiight there and light it up with that 2000,000 mega watt laser on the PEQ and listen for the..... Wooooooooow

Lol

It'll light 'em up, but know that some animals have much higher IR detection than we do, meaning if you hit 'em in the eyes, they'll feel it and spook. Not sure which animals that would be and the degree to which they detect it, but worth knowing beforehand.

The Atilla, I think, is the nicest one. But there's at least one handheld that goes 43km! It's a class 4...

The Izlid 1000P: if you absolutely, positively MUST illuminate every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes!

Yea I bet if a hog got hit right in the eye with it they would feel/ see something. If not I can hold it in his eyes for a minute then just run his blind ass down and grab him!

I've heard about the atilla, it's supposed to be amazing.

Reactions: WilliePete-
Yeah, but the thing is some animals are just like us, some can feel it, some may be able to see it. I forget where I read this. We don't get a blink reflex from that spectrum, but some animals do. I bet it feels a lot like getting stuck in the eye with a fork or a hot needle, if it causes a pain response, so I bet they spook if they can feel it. Just worth knowing and looking into. Would suck to wonder why they always run away. But then you could fuck with your buddies even better!

Strykervet, don't ever tell the VA phsyc that your calling for air support, they don't find it as humorous as some here. LOL

I have had yotes and pigs scatter when hit with high intensity ir illuminators. They tend to get shot at anyways though, and with 30rds of 6x45' there is a slight possibility that I may hit one.

If you can get your hands on one, get it! Ive used one fore about 3 years and absolutely love it. The fact its made from aluminum instead of the insight peq 15, makes it tougher and the newer ones have one switch to control the Hi/lo functions and flood. These dudes saying they are restricted to Mil/law are correct if they mean that the actual company cant sell them to you, but going through a dealer, hard to find but you can get one. DHS recently did some anti proliferation operation and seriously scared the hell out of the people on these forums who were selling them. Just don't sell them to the enemy and you are square with the gov.

It'll light 'em up, but know that some animals have much higher IR detection than we do, meaning if you hit 'em in the eyes, they'll feel it and spook. Not sure which animals that would be and the degree to which they detect it, but worth knowing beforehand.

The Atilla, I think, is the nicest one. But there's at least one handheld that goes 43km! It's a class 4...

]The Izlid 1000P: if you absolutely, positively MUST illuminate every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes!

I agree wholeheartedly about the Atilla, it's still hands down one of my favorite units of all time. Having the ability to independently and precisely control the output of both the illumination and laser is something all unit should have incorporated.

As for your B.E. Meyers product claim, I would make that your new sig line of the absolute truth about that bad boy. They've been the best of the best to light up country sides for years now.

Vic

I have to agree with everything above.

Personal exp I.e. client called and said CID left card on door. I got involved and they dropped the issue. Seems they could not produce documents that I wanted and my client never talked to them.

The laser on high is about useless for most of what I and my friends use it for.

I have extensive experience with the peq-2a, DBAL A3, I2 and D2.

the D2 is just about the most useful laser I have? It does most everything well in the environment that I using it.

The LED illuminator just works. The IR laser is useable to 200 yards.

The I2 is great when paired with an appropriate IR illuminator.

The mil/LE lasers biggest drawback, in my opinion, is the complete and total lack of factory support.

Not to high-jack the thread but do those with experience with a PEQ15 know if it will fit around a Magpul MBUS front sight? I.E. will the front sight imped the laser or block the light?

^ I'm 95% sure it will. I haven't seen it not work with any front sight yet. But.... If you can get your hands on a legit peq15 get it and then buy whatever front sight will work. Not get the front sight and buy whatever laser will work.

Just wanted to point something out, those wanting a class 3 laser don't necessarily do so because of the high power aiming laser, but rather the illuminator. I have a DBAL-I2 and Insight WMX200 light mounted on my personal carbine, which is pretty close to my work setup (LA-5 and WMX200). A couple of times this year I've been unable to see iron maidens at 150-200m due to overcast skies and low illum (targets that are normally easily spotted). The aiming laser was perfectly visible, but it became just a dot on a hillside with no way of telling when it was hitting one of the targets. The IR illuminator on the WMX light is basically the equivalent of a headlamp and useless for aiming. Rather than being able to do everything with those two units, I have to look at getting a separate IR illuminator and changing the way my rifle is set up, which is something I don't want to do.