• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

DCS Out of Control

Micdalen

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2012
Middle TN
We have had custody of grandchildren for over 5 years. Two we have had for 7 years, and two for four. Yesterday I get a call from DCS. They had a call over concerns of the children being raised in a safe environement. The first and foremost concern was me taking the granddaughter to the local gun show last month, and the other was us letting them watch scary things on TV. I asked the investigator if gun shows were against the law, she replied" No, but the concern was I was using the gunshow as intimidation." I really had to control my temper there, and then she proceeded to ask about what we let the watch, if there were unsecured firearms in the house, and a whole list of questions.

This is tending to be a little nerve wracking. This is the second time this year, we have had them intervene because of their complaint line, and the 14th time in less than a year. The other grandmother who did not want to raise them wants to control the whole thing, and her junkie addict son encouraging the kids that if they complain, they can come live with him. The numb nutz lives in a rehab program, and is facing 3 years when he completes it.

Short of filing a defamation/harrassment suit against DCS, and the grandparent parent, this is going to be my life till they are grown. There is no winning. Give up everything in my life just about to keep grandchildren safe, and DCS jumps everytime one of the junkies makes a phone call.

Record everything, it is a pain, but really record everything. Document every visit. Go to office max or whatever and buy a really small digital recorder for any interaction. DCS has no option even on false calls. However, if you can show a pattern you may have some chance against these false allegations. I feel for you, I really do as it is not a fun position to be in. Part of the oposing parent/junkie's issue is they probably want some kind of state money. Otherwise their happiness is just making you miserable with b/s allegations. And when one doesn't have a job all they have to do is make calls. Watch your back and your temper.

As a side note, any time you take them to a zoo, museum or other place save a receipt. Keep on brother. Thank you for raising good children.

T'wer it me I would be looking for a good secure spot in another state. DCS, or by any other name can just walk into your house, with cops, anytime, unannounced, and seize the children, and there is nothing you can do. Cover your ass.

I've heard it said that 25 percent of all children in this country are being raised by their grandparents. I wish you luck with your grandkids, that is a very tall order to take on late in life. Maybe you'll get lucky and he'll OD.

Good luck,and good for you for taking care of your grand kids. Take the junkies to a gun show and express your concern for the direction their poor choices are taking them. I am not being sarcastic, they need to wake up and get their head out of their a$$.

Maybe a restraining order preventing them from seeing the kids until they clean up. That is a tough road. I went thru it with my nephew several years ago,his mother was a mess and I took him in for a couple years, everybody is good now but I believe it was a function of enough time passing by and breaking a crappy cycle of life.

We have had custody of grandchildren for over 5 years. Two we have had for 7 years, and two for four. Yesterday I get a call from DCS. They had a call over concerns of the children being raised in a safe environement. The first and foremost concern was me taking the granddaughter to the local gun show last month, and the other was us letting them watch scary things on TV. I asked the investigator if gun shows were against the law, she replied" No, but the concern was I was using the gunshow as intimidation." I really had to control my temper there, and then she proceeded to ask about what we let the watch, if there were unsecured firearms in the house, and a whole list of questions.

This is tending to be a little nerve wracking. This is the second time this year, we have had them intervene because of their complaint line, and the 14th time in less than a year. The other grandmother who did not want to raise them wants to control the whole thing, and her junkie addict son encouraging the kids that if they complain, they can come live with him. The numb nutz lives in a rehab program, and is facing 3 years when he completes it.

Short of filing a defamation/harrassment suit against DCS, and the grandparent parent, this is going to be my life till they are grown. There is no winning. Give up everything in my life just about to keep grandchildren safe, and DCS jumps everytime one of the junkies makes a phone call.

I had a good friend named Brian who was in a similar situation. Brian developed a plan. Brian told no one his plan. He calculated the first day he was eligible to retire. He signed his house to be listed with a realtor as of that day. On that day he moved with his grandchild and left no forwarding address. No one around here has heard form him, his wife, or their grandkid since. That was over ten years ago.

This is much the same as Friend of the Court, who managed the split of the marital union, while simultaneously destroying the family unit.

You might be able to have a judge order an injunction against further harassment but it would require going to court at least a handful of times. Judges are going to be hesitant to file such a thing since child services are "supposed" to be looking out for the best interest of the child but child services are easily one of the worst groups of power hungry self important assholes in any city. I know an ex of mine was able to get an injunction against Albuquerque's child services after it become pretty obvious that the ex-husband was using "anonymous calls" to child services to harass her over and over and over and over and wouldn't stop. Apparently the judge warned the ex husband and made it so that any further 'investigations' of the mom had to be approved by a judge.

My grandkids get to do and see things only others dream of. They go to museums, science shows, and all kinds of things. They have their passports stamped with trips all over South and Central America. They have traveled the Caribbean extensively. Only two states they have not visited in the Union is alaska and hawaii and trips are planned for both in the next couple of years. I want them to see that there us a bigger world than right here in TN. Then they can be well rounded and informed. And to top it all off they are extremely well mannered and behaved compare to other kids out there now days.

We have appointments with an attorney next week, and are going to try and put a stop to this crap. Discussion are in the works to permanently adopt them, since the parents have lost all superior parental rights.

I thank everyone for the support. It gets hard at times, and my health gets in the way at times, But there is nothing I will not do for them and no sacrifice to big. Thanks.

What region of TN are you in? I know a person or 2 that work for DCS in TN. They lost a big law suit a few years ago and it really "shook up"their SOPs. I'm sure a letter from a lawyer would get some attention. Feel free to PM me.

My grandkids get to do and see things only others dream of. They go to museums, science shows, and all kinds of things. They have their passports stamped with trips all over South and Central America. They have traveled the Caribbean extensively. Only two states they have not visited in the Union is alaska and hawaii and trips are planned for both in the next couple of years. I want them to see that there us a bigger world than right here in TN. Then they can be well rounded and informed. And to top it all off they are extremely well mannered and behaved compare to other kids out there now days.

We have appointments with an attorney next week, and are going to try and put a stop to this crap. Discussion are in the works to permanently adopt them, since the parents have lost all superior parental rights.

I thank everyone for the support. It gets hard at times, and my health gets in the way at times, But there is nothing I will not do for them and no sacrifice to big. Thanks.

All the very best of luck and I hope you won't need an ounce of it.