• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors DD MK18 Supressor

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
What Suppressor would you go with for the DD MK18. I currently have no experience with any of these, so I'm looking for some guidance. I like the Surefire SOCOM 5.56..anyone have one of these? Not too worried about the price, just want a good one for this rifle.

Alan

I run a Surefire SOCOM on mine and a buddy runs an AAC M4-2000. Both of these need the adapter with the wrench flat or collar behind the teeth to have clearance on the rail.

I run a Surefire SOCOM on mine and a buddy runs an AAC M4-2000. Both of these need the adapter with the wrench flat or collar behind the teeth to have clearance on the rail.

AAC has a tool now (linked below) that fits in the flash hider for installation. I don't know if works on other flash hiders or not. I wish they would've had this years ago.

BLACKOUT™ Flash Hider Tool

The 556 SOCOM RC in dark earth is the exact suppressor SOCOM is running on their issued MK18 uppers. If you are not planning on doing a spec build then that is a different story and you can get whatever is in your budget.

My SOCOM RC arrives Thursday and it's going on a 11.5" dedicated suppressed gun. I'll have some feedback on this suppressor by the end of this coming weekend, hopefully. The mounting and repeatable poi is what sold me on the Surefire.

Surefire RC. Whether you are doing a clone or not, it is the best choice in my opinion.

My Socom-RC arrived today and I shot it on my 11.5" build :)

First Impressions while fingering it was that it was very well made and robust. The thing just looked and felt like it would survive an IED blast. The locking mechanism was the second thig that impressed me. I really like the newer line of SOCOM's mounting. Its an improvement from the 762SS/AL I used to play with. It's not that much different but the new SOCOM mount is an improvement.

Its deffinately shorter in person, at least IMHO. As far as suppression, it was good. Its definately not the quietest but it serves its purpose and thats ok with me. I'm extremely pleased with my SOCOM and cant wait until my paperwork comes through. My smiths last NFA item from January cleared in about 4 months so hopefully mine will as well. Hopefully I get to run it on my SPR before long, it should be alot more quiet on that rifle.

Last edited:
So will the Surefire Socom RC fit on the DD MK18 10.3 barrel without needing a spacer?

There is a chamfered spacer and shims that come with the SureFire SOCOM adapter but other than this no you do not need anything additional to mount it on a DD MK18.

My Socom-RC arrived today and I shot it on my 11.5" build :)

First Impressions while fingering it was that it was very well made and robust. The thing just looked and felt like it would survive an IED blast. The locking mechanism was the second thig that impressed me. I really like the newer line of SOCOM's mounting. Its an improvement from the 762SS/AL I used to play with. It's not that much different but the new SOCOM mount is an improvement.

Its deffinately shorter in person, at least IMHO. As far as suppression, it was good. Its definately not the quietest but it serves its purpose and thats ok with me. I'm extremely pleased with my SOCOM and cant wait until my paperwork comes through. My smiths last NFA item from January cleared in about 4 months so hopefully mine will as well. Hopefully I get to run it on my SPR before long, it should be alot more quiet on that rifle.

What brand of suppressor is the quietest for the MK18?

I actually have no clue. My opinion, the M4-2000 is actually quieter but the mounts suck, unless you have someone modify it which is rediculous if your paying $1000 for a can and mount.

The HTG Aris is freaking quiet but it's a direct thread on can and I don't know if they make them anymore.

There are several cans that are more quiet but they are longer or heavier and are usually thread on precision cans. If you want a QD can, I think the Surefire his the best choice overall. It's tough, great suppression, and great mounting options. SOCOM chose them for a reason. On an SBR you wont notice if its a few DB quieter anyway.

Thanks, I'm going with the SOCOM 556 anyways, just was curious as I'm completely new to these. I doubt this will be my only suppressor lol..just like AR15's, I keep saying I'm done :)

I actually have no clue. My opinion, the M4-2000 is actually quieter but the mounts suck, unless you have someone modify it which is rediculous if your paying $1000 for a can and mount.

The HTG Aris is freaking quiet but it's a direct thread on can and I don't know if they make them anymore.

There are several cans that are more quiet but they are longer or heavier and are usually thread on precision cans. If you want a QD can, I think the Surefire his the best choice overall. It's tough, great suppression, and great mounting options. SOCOM chose them for a reason. On an SBR you wont notice if its a few DB quieter anyway.

That is not an accurate statement at all. Just because a can is thread on does not make it more precise or more quiet. That is a stigma that most end users believe in. Just because you want a good shooting suppressor/rifle combo does not mean you need to go with a thread on can.... in actuality I would prefer a QD can on an SBR or semi auto rifle. They have less chance to back off during rapid fire.

For size and suppression the KAC NT4 (while its ugly) is one of the best hard use best suppressors out there. They are heavy but robust and they can take a severe beating. They are very quiet for being so small. One of the best performers to sound ratio cans is the AAC M4-2000. Yes, the mounts are not very good, but a few minutes of your time spent can make them great again.

I wish I would have known about the fix to the AAC mounts before I bought my SF. I had a chance to pick up some M4-2000's for $700 piece.

I run an OPS INC 12th on my SPR style AR and I have yet to hear another suppressor that is quieter.

I run an OPS INC 12th on my SPR style AR and I have yet to hear another suppressor that is quieter.

You can't really run a 12th model on a 10" barrel though. That collar would be behind the gas block lol.

You can't really run a 12th model on a 10" barrel though. That collar would be behind the gas block lol.

You may be able to run a 16th model on a 10", which sounds pretty close to a 12th. I would run a 12" barrel instead of a 10" so I could run the OPS INC 12th. The AAC M4-2000 that I own is used on my 10.5", but even when that M4-2000 is run on an 18" barrel, it does not come close to the same level of suppression as the 12th. Also when run on an 18" barrel the AAC extends further past the barrel than the larger and quieter 12th model. If I could only have one 5.56 suppressor, it would be the OPS INC 12th model. I would build my firearms (SBR, SPR, etc.) so they could utilize this great suppressor.

I am resuscitating this thread as I just received my DD MK18 upper (awesome!) and mated it up with my Noveske N4 registered lower and now want
to start a Form 4 on a QD can. I am leaning 556 SOCOM RC but I see two opinions on clearing the RIS II hand guard. I was at a shop in L-ville yesterday that sells both brands
and I tried to butt up all three pieces of the puzzle and left with no definitive outcome.

Can someone verify that this will work via pics?

So, despite the cool link, you know for sure that the two components will mate flawlessly via the SF brake or flash hider?

I am about to drop +$1400.00 for a suppressor and tax stamp and my Dremel skills leave a lot.

Last edited:
You should check into availability of the KAC QDC. It's ridiculous on the MK18 with MAMS. I saw one on GB a few weeks ago.

When I finally decide to do my pistol build, it'll be running a 7.62 saker