• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Dead deer-but not from a hunter

Adam B

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 7, 2005
    grand rapids, michigan
    www.adamboynton.com
    In the last few weeks my Father has found several deer around his farm dead with no signs at all of injury. After doing some research we found that there is a small outbreak of a fly called a midge that spreads a virus that casues the deer to die a week after they are bitten by the fly. Here is one of his latest finds, it is a damn shame he didnt last until hunting season

photo-1.JPG

photo.JPG

Re: Dead deer-but not from a hunter

What a buck. At least it was not poached, and nature got the best of this one.

That is a shame it didn't make it to hunting season...that would have made someone very happy indeed!

Are the ponds starting to dry up or what up there? About 2 seasons ago we went through the same thing and I believe it only affects the older deer.?. Ya people started to find lots of mature deer dead all over down here and that's what they claimed was the cause. When ponds and streams start to dry up these flys are a problem. Mother nature sure can be a bitch.

That's too bad for a nice buck to go out like that. At least you found the horns and got to know about him.

We are having a pretty big kill in central MO also. Another outbreak of EHD is what people are thinking. Had an outbreak a few years ago and took out alot of deer. A local deer farmer has lost close to 100 that he knows of. Lost a few of his big bucks including his largest one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the ponds starting to dry up or what up there? About 2 seasons ago we went through the same thing and I believe it only affects the older deer.?. Ya people started to find lots of mature deer dead all over down here and that's what they claimed was the cause. When ponds and streams start to dry up these flys are a problem. Mother nature sure can be a bitch.</div></div>

the summer really wasn't that dry at all, we are pretty baffled by it, we just hope no more big bucks turn up dead. We have found a total of 11 so far.

Were most of the deer found near water, like a pond or creek? And did any have blood around their mouth or nose?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn that would have been a nice shooter. </div></div>

Ya if one stayed in his stand instead of goin and takin a sh!t...
    laugh.gif

I find them like that (not that big) in the bean fields because the bastard spot lighters can't find them until the beans are cut.

Only thing you find around here from poachers is a headless body of the deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn that would have been a nice shooter. </div></div>

laugh.gif
    </div></div>

Now now... You dont know for sure it would have walked past his stand....
    cry.gif
    laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn that would have been a nice shooter. </div></div>

laugh.gif
    </div></div>

Now now... You dont know for sure it would have walked past his stand....
    cry.gif
    laugh.gif
    </div></div>

When you gotta go you gotta go. I cant wait til you have to shit and i whack a big buck.

We had that here three years ago. They found a dead 14-pt P&Y quality buck near my tree stand
    frown.gif

EHD as far as I know does not affect humans. The virus is transmitted by the midge fly to the deer via the nasal canal (the fly crawls in and does the deed). The outbreaks are seen frequently when the conditions are very dry. It is a sad sight to witness. Hope it rains for you all soon.

There is quite a bit of reading on EHD if you google it. It pretty much sucks with all the deer being found dead around here. So far I haven't heard of any big deer, other than on my friends deer farm, that have been found dead. Mostly does and young bucks. It really sucks for the friend, he has lost a lot of money with the deer that have died. One of the bucks scored, I believe around 350" SCI.

Blue Tongue...!

Takes Whitetail on a regular basis...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blue Tongue...!

Takes Whitetail on a regular basis... </div></div>

Yep! That swept through Southern IL several years back and killed off a larg portion of the herd.

I see you are in Michigan. If you don't mind me asking, where abouts is this farm at? I'm over in Lansing and we haven't had anything like this that I'm aware of, and we've also been pretty dry.