• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deal Alert. Better grab one of these YETI Cast Iron Skillets while they last.

The tumblers beat the shit out of all others, because the lids actually work.

I’ve got half a dozen roto-mold coolers that work just as well as a Yetti.

Lodge is sintered crap cast in a sand pit. They suck to season. The old stuff is the best, but there are several companies making new pans that are good.
Staub
Smithy
Star Gazer
Are pans that season fast and will last a lifetime.
I had to take a grinder with a buffer wheel to my Walmart Lodge.

It has it's good days and bad when it comes to frying eggs but I didn't have to put it on a finance plan to pay it off and had money left over to put groceries in it.

1686752238906.png

I got this one for $50. So I beat Yeti and the poors!

• Haha
Reactions: adubeau
Cookware is like any other tools. The heirloom stuff that was hand-made costs real money. It did even back in the day when a pan was made. Even with the advent of machine-made cast iron in the '50s it wasn't as cheap as a Lodge is today.

35bbef179156b8ad8299b14d1cfe62db.jpg

That was a bunch of money back then.

My wife says cast is too heavy for her to use, so the majority of mine is stacked up in the basement and comes out when we're car camping. We use a professional set of coated aluminum pans for every day use. They work fine, but if it was just me I would only use the cast. I've got six antique Dutch ovens from 2q to a 24q monster chili pot. I love Dutch oven cooking either over the fire or using briquets depending on what's going on.

We have a bunch of enamel coated cast Staub casserole, paella, and baking dishes (we got as wedding presents) that we use all the time.

A sharpened set of Walmart knives up will cut shit up just as good as a block of Shun's, but I swear that every time I pull a knife out to cut something there is a detectable smile on my face. Is it worth it just to not have to sharpen them as much? No. It's worth it because they're beautiful, it's something I use every day, and it makes it makes me happy to use them like a set of mass produced knives wouldn't. Sometimes it's the little things.

This is no different than shooting matches with a $10k-$15K rifle, or spending money on anything else that makes you happy. Sometimes the price doesn't simply reflect the calculus of functionality. Other stuff I could give a shit about, so give me the Harbor Freight one.

Eating and shooting are really high on my list of values.

@Fig I took my mom's skillet on a campout when I was 13 without asking, left it in an abandoned shack because it got too heavy to pack and came back to find it gone.

I finally confessed and never heard the end of that. She would always say "And I just got it seasoned!"

• Haha
Reactions: Fig
I thought spending $100 was too much for cast iron pan. Yeti will probably get some people to buy it. As for their coolers no thanks. I have Rtic coolers less expensive than Yeti, but still not cheap.

We laugh but look at some of the dumb shit sold in this hobby. How many bought ammo at $40+ for box of 20. 5 boxes in and ya coulda had a Yeti pan…. At least you can cook and club a fucker with it…

And then clean the pan with the FREE scraper…

Well, some of us could buy ammo.

If they were smart they would have marked it at normally $800 BUT NOW 50% OFF - ONLY $400! People eat that shit up for some reason.

Can't recall his name, but once heard a comedian say, "A woman will buy a $2 item she doesn't need if it's marked down to $1. A man will pay $2 for a $1 dollar item if he needs it."

Do you get a big sticker for the back window of a $90K pickup where the farthest off road it'll go is a driveway?
You should be able to request a color to match the truck and the Costa sticker

• Haha
Reactions: Fig and EddieNFL
Cookware is like any other tools. The heirloom stuff that was hand-made costs real money. It did even back in the day when a pan was made. Even with the advent of machine-made cast iron in the '50s it wasn't as cheap as a Lodge is today.

35bbef179156b8ad8299b14d1cfe62db.jpg

That was a bunch of money back then.

My wife says cast is too heavy for her to use, so the majority of mine is stacked up in the basement and comes out when we're car camping. We use a professional set of coated aluminum pans for every day use. They work fine, but if it was just me I would only use the cast. I've got six antique Dutch ovens from 2q to a 24q monster chili pot. I love Dutch oven cooking either over the fire or using briquets depending on what's going on.

We have a bunch of enamel coated cast Staub casserole, paella, and baking dishes (we got as wedding presents) that we use all the time.

A sharpened set of Walmart knives up will cut shit up just as good as a block of Shun's, but I swear that every time I pull a knife out to cut something there is a detectable smile on my face. Is it worth it just to not have to sharpen them as much? No. It's worth it because they're beautiful, it's something I use every day, and it makes it makes me happy to use them like a set of mass produced knives wouldn't. Sometimes it's the little things.

This is no different than shooting matches with a $10k-$15K rifle, or spending money on anything else that makes you happy. Sometimes the price doesn't simply reflect the calculus of functionality. Other stuff I could give a shit about, so give me the Harbor Freight one.

Eating and shooting are really high on my list of values.
Wonder what year that Montgomery Ward ad was? MW was my familie's go to store in the 60's.