• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dealing with a piss poor self control....

Oddball Six

Commander of Meh
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
40°25′N, 104°43′W
There are some people out there that just struggle with self control where food is concerned or in forcing yourself to put in the time for exercise.

If you are that person, or you have been there, what strategies, tools, whatever worked to deal with that over time? What motivated you or changed to help you help yourself?

Re: Dealing with a piss poor self control....

Start small.

I've had those <span style="text-decoration: line-through">days</span> months where it is all I can do to go to work and be a husband and daddy, let alone workout or eat right. The tool that has always been most effective for me is to select one thing that I can do very quickly and force myself to do it everyday. For example, I will start with something as small as 25 pushups before I can get in the shower. After a couple days of doing this, I might add in "drink more water". Usually by the time you will be ready to find a third thing to add, you will be much more enthusiastic about the whole process.

Also remember that God made food to taste good. It is natural to want to eat things that you love. So don't beat yourself up over it. Start small and realize that fitness is a lifelong <span style="text-decoration: underline">pursuit</span>. Not a destination. It does not matter if you actually arrive at a certain number on the scale. It is the work that we put in along the way that will make you feel good.

I cook 10 lbs of chicken on Sunday. I eat chicken throughout the week instead of ????? when I am hungry.

(I am also consuming about 250+ grams of protein a day)

Having something to eat when you are hungry is better than grabbing crap to eat.

I have two techniques that have worked well for me.
One is to take every little step as seriously as the whole process.
What I mean is when I don't feel motivated to eat right or hit the gym I ask myself if skipping the gym, or getting the milkshake is really what I want most. Inside of you you want to be healthy and that is why you are asking for techniques. When you reduce it down to decision by decision it becomes easier than saying I am going to eat perfect this week.

Another technique I use is cheating in moderation. If I meet my goals for the week I will go get the biggest size of my favorite fries 1 time per week. Its only 600 ish calories and keeps me from feeling deprived when I am eating mostly brown rice, oats, and chicken breast.

No matter what you do fitness follows the law of the harvest. What you put in is what you get out. Start with moderate but possible changes and pretty soon you will find that your routine and desire has changed. Once you see a difference in the mirror it is pretty motivating to keep going, for me the hardest part has been getting to see results at the start of an objective (whether bulking or cutting), once I see a difference it is a reward that I will continue to seek.

i have been there and done that. As a freshman in college, i got up to 235-240, and i only stand at 5'9" on a good day. I love food, i hated exercise.
Long story short, if you want bad enough, you will succeed.
When i go to the grocery store i dont buy anything i wouldnt eat on my everyday diet. Throw all other shit food away. AND DO NOT GO TO THE STORE HUNGRY. that was one of my biggest weaknesses.
As far as hitting the gym... set goals and ease into it. dont weigh yourself at first, get into a groove. if you havent worked out in a long time, your initial weightloss from change in diet and exercise will shed weight quickly. its the last bit that takes forever to lose.

I am now a senior in college, weigh in at 190. I bench press 275, deadlift 450, and squat 375. I am not skinny, and i still struggle everyday with food.
currently, i am on the paleo diet (google it, its awesome) and love it.

good luck, stay focused.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sierrabravo45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having something to eat when you are hungry is better than grabbing crap to eat. </div></div>

I think this is HUGE!

I'm ~20lbs heavier than I was leaving Basic Training in 1993. I feel like I've gained 10lbs of that since I turned 40.

Definitely part of it is just grabbing something and getting back to work instead of taking the time to cook something or prepare something in advance.

Entering Zak's 24-hour match was a big motivator for me. I began to realize that I can't nav or ruck like I used to. That, and my wife ran her first half-marathon last year so she was getting to be in much better shape than I was. Setting a goal (the match) was key. Because men (who don't get many missions any more) need a mission.

I suggest joining a Cross Fit gym. Commit to being there on specific days, like Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The group atmosphere will motivate you, a partner for the workouts will keep you honest, and the recording of your workout times and personal goals will push you to achieve. It's nothing you can't do on your own, but it is everything you won't do by yourself.

BTW, strong is the new skinny!
wink.gif

Registering for matches I have no business entering (Competition Dynamics)...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because men (who don't get many missions any more) need a mission. </div></div>

Great quote, Graham! I break the year into shorter "challenges", allowing me to focus on my current "mission". It is amazing how having a mission brings clarity to every area of my life.

regarding the diet side of this post...i drink a lot of water daily and eat healthy meals througout the week but keep my usual diet (the foods i like) in moderation....the simple formula that was told to me a long time ago is, "calories in - calories out."

OP, thanks for posting this up, this is me to a "T". Thanks to everybody else who responded!

there are many acai supplements that will help a little with appetite control.
I had friends that wouldnt touch a carb and always scolded me on my diet (or lack thereof) but I also spent an hour just on cardio and 30 minutes to an hour on free weights almost every night at the time.
Now im sitting here with a back that is getting better slowly and a wicked hyper extended knee and im almost 30 lbs heavier.

Now that im seeing results from dieting and low impact exercise I am finally feeling a little motivation. i sure miss having a good work out buddy though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are some people out there that just struggle with self control where food is concerned or in forcing yourself to put in the time for exercise.

If you are that person, or you have been there, what strategies, tools, whatever worked to deal with that over time? What motivated you or changed to help you help yourself? </div></div>

real simple hold yourself accountable and treat yourself like a child. The best thing that I have done is literally punish yourself. It may sound stupid but its easy.

Example:

If you know you need to put 3 days in at the Gym and for some reason you decide to do something else. Take money out or your pocket and go buy something and donate it or put money in a jar and turn around and give it to your wife for her to spend at the end of the month. It does 2 things it makes you spend your hard earned money which you don't like doing. and you helped out a good cause (charity) or you create a monster (wife) LMAO...

I do this when ever I notice im being complacent or just plain lazy....trust me after you spend money, time, energy on something you don't want to do it will change your habits.

it sounds really odd but I promise you if you can design a system like this and punish yourself you will make it.

I love to eat and I love to drink, but at 46 I really feel those habits dragging me down a lot more than when I was younger.

I wish I could find a magic cure, but I doubt there is one. I try to ask myself if I really need that last drink. I try and focus on how good it feels after a solid workout. I tell myself that it's ok to be hungry.

I think that if there are enough small victories, things get easier. It's a constant fight though.

I have no excuse as to why i dont get off my ass most of the time, whereas others who have every "reason" not to compete in extreme sports refuse to accept the answer "No" as a answer to their desires to complete the event.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDnrLv6z-mM

any time i am feeling like i cant get my workout in for today i will watch the above video. Im a triathlete so this pertains to my interests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnqpYKx8Fvk

For workouts I have to have a goal, for me committing to a race or o course style event forces me to make time for the workout.
as far as eatting goes, I love food, eatting healthy sucks(imo ) so I give my self a cheat day a week. Seems to keep me on track.

If you really like eating. Exercise alot, even multiple times a day. You can eat almost anything you want. Find a way to understand the quote "you are what you eat". Take responsibility for what you do to yourself and no one can fix it except for you. Believe you can do the right things for yourself. Surround yourself with like minded people and you will be just like them.

I work on average a 60hr week. i have the opportunity to work from home, so I can take my breaks when I need to and power through the work when I must.

Humans work best on incentives. You have to give yourself incentives to adhere to something that might not yield immediate benefits (in the way relaxing does compared to working/exercise or eating right vs crap-but-yummy).

Visualize yourself as you want to be and associate that image with the work needed to get there. See yourself working harder and getting closer to where you want to be. Really focus on this 'movie' in your head, make it as real as you can to the 'work' and the benefit are one and the same in your mind's eye. Likewise, when you're tempted to slack, visualize in your mind getting fatter, slower, older, weaker as you eat the wrong stuff or slack off. Make yourself feel the pain of not doing what you know you SHOULD do instead of what you think you WANT to do. Turn the WANT and the SHOULD into the same thing.

It's a concentration trick I learnt on how to stay focused for prolonged periods. Each time I'm tempted to slack, I focus on the pro vs con and make it as visceral as possible. It works until the new regime becomes more habit than 'must-do' schedule.

Good luck.

The only real way to do it is eat less and exercise more. Sadly, it has to be that way until the end once metabolism catches up with you.

I agree with everyone. I'm 5'10", 200lb, i was a little over 250 6months ago, and gained 15 back after i stopped my diet. I like to drink ALOT of water. while at work i try to keep one hand on a water bottle. Ive figures if you keep a bigger bottle you dont feel like you drink as much. I as well will eat 4 eggs for breatfast, sandwich or peice of meat for one meal, and a slimfast for the other.

the only way change ever occurs is if the pain of your current situation outweighs the pain of change. It must be compelling. When I was in highschool I wrestled and would cut up to 20 lbs to make weight. If you didnt make weight you let your team down and embarrased yourself infront of the other team. It was very motivating to all the kids. Lately i have been training for a 10k race, and I dont want to look like a tool, I want to kick some ass, so I run hard and I lift hard. find what works for you.

WOW! I can’t believe I have been a member of the hide for so long and I have never checked out the fitness thread. I have been up in down with my weight for several years. All of it because I’m lazy or make excuses. I joined the Army National Guard during my senior year way back in 1996. After coming home in November of 96 I got lazy and would do just enough to pass my yearly PT test for my first three years. I then dropped out of college and worked construction and helped my dad on the farm. I got back in shape and stayed in shape for my last three years in the Guards. Since then I have fell back into my routine of gaining and losing weight. Now almost 35 years old, family (wife and 3 kids), fulltime job (desk job) and working on finishing my Bachelor’s degree, I have put off working out. I am 6’3 and 215-220 pounds. I would love to be and stay 195-200 pounds. About three years ago I got back into shape, by eating less, not better, but ate a lot less. I also worked out twice a day, nothing special but I did push-ups and sit ups. In about three months I was able to drop below 200 pounds. I got to 195 and stayed there for about 9 months and then fell off the wagon. Enough excuses, it’s time to get back in shape. So glad I found the fitness thread. I will check in from time to time for updates and any news tips.

I have more experience in piss poor self control than anyone. I'm 60 now but can pass for somebody in their late 40s. If you want motivation just take a look around at the populace in general = they are lard asses from what I'm seeing. I love my pasta & red wine but I always walk it off. I can still hike & hunt hard & intend to keep doing so.
My thought is that you don't have to blow a gasket working out....take it easy but stay consistent & don't let up. Your remaining years will be so much more enjoyable.
R.

I was in that boat as recently as the beginning of this year. I didn't work out at all and I didn't really eat that healthy. I had tried both in the past and even stuck with both to some degree for a reasonable amount of time. What has made the difference for me this time is having a goal that motivates me.

I had a grandfather pass away last year due to prostate cancer. Ultimately he lost his battle, but up until he was bed ridden he was exercising regularly. They told us that had he not been so healthy that he would have died much sooner. His health gave him a fighting chance. This was the event that started me thinking about my health.

Last February I decided to really focus on my diet. You can eat great food with a lot of flavor and still eat healthy food. So, I started watching a lot of food documentaries. If you have netflix there are a TON of them. If you watch some of them you won't need anymore motivation to eat healthy foods. I had cut drive through stuff out a long time ago because my cholesterol was high, but I took it to a whole new level.

A couple of months later, I was starting to feel better and I wanted to take my health to the next level so I decided that I needed to work out. I did the math and I had just enough time to finish p90x before my 30th birthday. I had started it before but I always quit because it isn't easy and I didn't care enough to go through the pain. Being healthy on my 30th has been my motivation to stick with it and now I only have a couple of weeks left. Right now I look a lot better and I feel like a million bucks compared to how I used to feel.

Having gone through what I would consider a pretty serious paradigm shift, I realized that my keys to success are as follows:
1)Find your motivation. Some people do it for health and others do it for vanity, but you have to really ask yourself why it is important and keep that in mind throughout the process. Whatever your motivation is you need to realize that you are committing to a long term lifestyle change. Embrace that because it will help you when you aren't getting the immediate results that you had hoped for. You are running a marathon and not a sprint.
2)Start slow. Figure out what you want to do and start with baby steps. As you get used to the first step add in the second. I think someone mentioned this and I agree 100%.
3)Don't kill yourself over it. I still have a drink with my buddies. I just don't drink as much. If I go to a ball game I grab a hot dog (or two and maybe nachos). I just try to make sure that the rest of my day I am very strict so that I can treat that stuff as a reward.
3b)When I started p90x I only did the first half of every workout. It took a little time to get used to even working out again and I didn't want to burn myself out.
4)We all now that becoming excellent at something means that you have to practice the things that you are bad at. Well, if you just want to get started practice the things that you are good at. If you like lifting weights but hate running, then don't run until you get in the habit of working out. You can add in the difficult steps later on when you have convinced yourself that you want to push harder.
5)I like to have a short term target. i.e. my 30th birthday to keep me motivated. After my birthday we have a trip to mexico in December so that will be my next target date to keep me results oriented.

I know several people that are always in a weight loss challenge. If you have enough weight to lose then this might be a good motivator. There is generally a fee to participate but the winner gets the pot 'o cash. Money motivates a lot of people.

While I don't consider it essential to my success, it is nice to have friends with similar goals. It is fun to share your success with people who are excited for you and it is nice to have an accountability partner for when you want to fall off of the wagon.

Sorry for my novel. I struggled for a long time with the same question and I never found any real answers. So, I thought I would share what has worked for me. Good luck.