• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Debunking Courtney's stability myths

BryanLitz

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
In recent years, Michael Courtney has posted a number of papers on this and other forums which present modifications to the original Miller stability formula for things like plastic, aluminum, and open tip match bullets. These papers make some claims which are based on faulty reasoning and testing procedures. Unfortunately, the result of applying the Courtney's formulas can result in compromised ballistic performance at long range. Due to recent ongoing conversations on this forum and others, I was compelled to read the Courtney papers on stability, and what I found is definitely worth a discussion.

Bad research is published on the internet all the time and much of it is harmless. I’m compelled to address this subject because the conclusions of this work can make it harder for shooters to hit targets, and thats' something I'll take issue with.

Rather than present a line-by-line breakdown of the various Courtney stability papers, I’ll explain how the underlying key assumptions and methods are in error in a way that most shooters will understand.

We’ll start with the data. Courtney’s live fire experimental data is primarily based on shooting .22 caliber varmint bullets, usually over 50 yards thru two CED M2 chronographs. Stability is lowered for these varmint bullets by downloading them to transonic speeds and firing from standard twist barrels. Plots showing the reduction of G1 BC for lower velocity points are used to quantify the ‘increase in drag for lower stability conditions’. There are several problems with this approach. First, it’s common knowledge that a bullets G1 BC is lower at lower speed. The primary reason for this is due to the G1 drag model not being representative of typical bullets. Stability may have something to do with a drop in G1 BC, but with the known effect of drag curve mismatch, it’s impossible to say what’s due to stability, and what’s due to drag. Courtney attributes all of the decrease in G1 BC to stability, which is the first primary flaw in this method.

Furthermore, at low supersonic speeds, dynamic stability is a major issue as well. When Courtney’s test data indicates low stability, it’s fully described with a static (gyroscopic) stability formula with no accounting for the dynamic stability condition which is actually the driver of total stability at transonic speed, especially for varmint bullets.

The second flaw with this testing method is that a bullet fired at a reduced charge does not generate the same stability condition as a bullet fired at normal muzzle velocity and allowed to slow down to transonic speed over long range flight. On a real long range shot, the bullets spin rate is much greater than when you download it to transonic speed and fire it from a standard twist barrel. For this reason, the stability conditions of the test are very different from the actual stability conditions of a bullet on a long range trajectory. If you want to simulate long range stability conditions by downloading the MV, you have to use a faster twist barrel which more accurately replicates the bullets true stability condition at long range.

One additional flaw in the experimental data is the assessment of accuracy for the measurements. Courtney describes how the CED chronographs are ‘synched’ by shooting thru them in close tandem to determine any bias, then separating the chronographs by 50 yards to make the drag measurements. The flaw in this method is that measurements taken with chronongraphs using optical skyscreens are sensitive to the optical planes being parallel. Non-parallel skyscreens manifest as a different velocity being measured depending on where the bullet passes thru the screens. Furthermore, the frame of the CED chronograph is relatively flimsy, and a small breeze can bend and twist the assembly enough to result in inaccurate velocity measurements. When you’re only measuring BC over 50 yards, you need extremely accurate velocity measurements, which simply aren’t possible with the set up used by Courtney. The preceding analysis of chronographs isn’t theory, it’s based on my own extensive 'exploits' with the CED and many other chronographs, some of which are published in Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting.

The above are only the most glaring points on which the experimental data is either flawed or overly confident. Courtney repeatedly claims 5% accuracy for his formula, although no higher fidelity ‘truth’ data is presented in which his method is shown to be within 5% of.

More concerning than the above problems with the data are the modifications which are being made to the original Miller formula based on this work. Unlike the Courtney modifications, the original Miller formula was developed using very high fidelity ‘truth’ data (from the ARL spark range) on a number of bullets including open tip match bullets, FMJ’s, plastic tips, and solids (PS article from 2009). The math of the original Miller formula does assume constant density, but the formula also accounts for the effects of lighter ‘front ends’ (basically assuming a different CP) which is why the original Miller formula compares so well with so many different bullets without any of the recent Courtney modifications. From the Miller paper of 2009 comparing his original formula with 12 bullets of various construction, some at various velocities, Miller noted that his formula was accurate to within 5.2% for 95% of the comparisons with the ‘truth’ data.

Thanks to Courtney, we now have numerous modifications to the Miller rule for plastic tipped bullets, aluminum tipped bullets and open tipped match bullets. However none of these modifications are justified with any real truth data beyond what was gathered with varmint bullets between two chronographs 50 yards apart. Nevertheless, the Courtney mods to the Miller formula have infected numerous software tools and are touted as being accurate within 5%.

The entire charade has been an exercise in taking something that was perfectly suitable and complicating it unnecessarily, and for no benefit. The only thing the Courtney papers on stability have accomplished is turning the attention towards themselves on the subject of stability, now that the true author of the original work has passed away.

Now we get to the really damaging part for shooters. By applying the Courtney corrections to the Miller formula, one is lead to accept slower twist rates for bullets than what would be suggested by the original Miller formula.

This should be a red flag for any long range shooter who’s observed the effects of shooting at extended range. It's a common observation that faster twist is better, where long range shooting is concerned, especially when the bullet slows near the speed of sound. My own recent work on this subject was comprised of 100’s of rounds fired at long range with bullet TOF measured thru transonic. According to this work (which is also published in Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting) it’s clear that there are advantages to faster twist rates in terms of transonic drag, certainly faster twists than the Courtney modifications would suggest.

If Courtney’s circus of bad math, inaccurate data and unrepresentative test conditions would have resulted in a something that suggested faster twist rates, at least it wouldn’t be damaging.

As things are, applying the Courtney corrections to stability calculations can result in suppressed ballistic performance at extended range thru inadequate stability, and that’s what ultimately compelled me to take issue and write this post.

-Bryan

For me personally I can follow along with most of what they are talking about not all but most. I will take the word of a SHOOTER who is also very smart than a smart non shooter, Agreed this is going to get interesting

Bryan,
IMO, maybe you don't want to go down this road. Your contributions to precision shooting are so apparent, that you don't need to. It infuriates me that Courtney is being such a dick about all this. It infuriates me even more that you have been put in a position that you feel the need to respond to his blatant BS. Trust me, no one is buying it. Take the high road. All the best!

Bryan,
IMO, maybe you don't want to go down this road. Your contributions to precision shooting are so apparent, that you don't need to. It infuriates me that Courtney is being such a dick about all this. It infuriates me even more that you have been put in a position that you feel the need to respond to his blatant BS. Trust me, no one is buying it. Take the high road. All the best!

I could not possibly agree more. That other guy is totally and obviously full of poop for gray matter. On the other thread he says he questioned the ballistic coeff because of poor terminal performance in game animals. Ahem, sure we believe that. Of course he was sucha fabulous marksmen that he had no problem achieving proper bullet placement but when the bullet failed to preform as advertised did he question bullet construction, No. Did he ask what bullet might preform better for his application? No.

If you read a few pages of what the guy says it is easy to see that he seems dishonest and braggadocios.

Bryan,

What this guy said, heck you could have had that 7mm 195gr Hybrid developed by the time it took me to type what you just did! And maybe a 150+ gr 6.5mm hybrid.
6mm Br shut his horseshit down, I guess like Frank says, we need police our own ranks?????????

Now we get to the really damaging part for shooters. By applying the Courtney corrections to the Miller formula, one is lead to accept slower twist rates for bullets than what would be suggested by the original Miller formula.
-Bryan

Thank you Bryan, I've been working through the denial phase on a 1:8 twist 223 barrel for the 80 grain Amax.

I had the barrel, and found reports on the net that the combination would transition. You can always find someone to tell you want to hear on the internet though.

Started rethinking it after your latest book after considering the impacts to the BC, and this post puts a fork in it. I'll retask the barrel to an AR15 and order something more suitable.

Keep up the good work.

I could not possibly agree more. That other guy is totally and obviously full of poop for gray matter. On the other thread he says he questioned the ballistic coeff because of poor terminal performance in game animals. Ahem, sure we believe that. Of course he was sucha fabulous marksmen that he had no problem achieving proper bullet placement but when the bullet failed to preform as advertised did he question bullet construction, No. Did he ask what bullet might preform better for his application? No.

If you read a few pages of what the guy says it is easy to see that he seems dishonest and braggadocios.

Bryan, you are a HUGE credit to the LR community. Your quantified research is pretty much the best available.

You really don't need to go down this road. But I can understand your actions here.

THANK YOU. Shane

Hell first post here but ill say it, Courtney made his bed, here and on other forums, he can lay in it. Numerous people pointed out that nitpicking reputable people does not shine a bright light on his buisness.

That being said I agree, you dont have to go out of your way to discredit Courtneys claims as people can see right through him. Its obvious he has an agenda.

Thanks for all you have done and continue to do for the Long Range shooting community, and to the Forum, I have lurked for years signed up recently, and just value the knowledge a guy can pick up reading here. Thanks for that..............

Okay, carry on folks. Off my soap box. Lol.

Dan

I ran into courtney's comments tripping my bullshit meter in a different thread. That guy has a completely ignorant perspective on things, with a total disregard for real-world observations.

People like him thrive on the conflict their BS generates... nothing more. Notice how there is drama surrounding them at all times? EVERYTHING seems to be complicated and controversial. They make their entire careers out of it, and are very good at it. It's kind of like a reality TV show... there doesn't need to be any substance as long as there is drama. I'm disgusted by people like that. I hope courtney finds himself flushed out of the shooting community very soon.

Thanks for the comments and support guys.

Honestly, I have no intention of this turning into a slugfest/reality TV drama. I hate that shit too.

My goal here is to share my thoughts on the Courtney stability papers in one post, so it can be linked to from other places where it's being considered. Rather than lay it all out in dozens of other threads which have been taken off topic, we can just link to this post so readers can see what the flaws are and decide for themselves.

So it's more like a statement than a discussion. We all know how 'discussions' go with Courtney.

Combating mis-information is just as important as providing original analysis. In both cases we're all learning, but combating mis-information takes a lot more effort because there's deliberate opposition to the knowledge required to hit targets.

By posting this analysis, I'm hoping to make the task of combating the systematic Courtney mis-information on stability a little more efficient by simply sharing the link in the future rather than writing it out in each discussion. That's exhausting!

You guys who have posted here all know who Courtney is. But there are always new guys coming along who haven't yet separated the wheat from the chaff which can be hard to do on the internet. The easier we make that process for them, the sooner they can get on with improving their practical knowledge and skills, and the sooner Courtney will move on to a different batch of people to harass where they don't know him.

Thanks again guys,
-Bryan

To be totally frank, the first time I read Courtney's papers, I though that he was an engineering student at the AF Academy, because that's how his papers read. Pretty good for someone just learning the craft, but totally devoid of the usual scientific rigor and insight that you find when you read papers by the real minds in the field. It may not be as obvious to those who are not technically trained, but trust me, there is a WORLD of difference between reading a paper written by a Bob McCoy, an informal article/book written by Harold Vaughn, or the wonderful instructional materials and research written by Bryan.

Throw in the unjustified and repeated personal attacks against the staff at Berger, and you just sit and wonder why. It's sad and irritating that Bryan felt the need to spend the time to write this post, which involved reading said papers, which are about as innovative as a flintlock in a modern army.

Hopefully, this will be the end of it.

Last edited:
Bryan,

While I've disagreed on much smaller points in the past with you...and come to good solution I think, I completely see validity in your statements here. Courtney takes his own turn and suggest slower twists for projectiles we have pushed for years to tighten up. The damage done is what then becomes available to the average shooter getting a new barrel to step up in their abilities. It's hard to defeat the 1-12" mantra because it sells the most. We have new bullets that require a 1-9" twist now. Or tighter depending on caliber! Manufacturing is not a beast as easily turned as a horse in harness on a plow.

You on the other hand you have always held the high road. And, like with me, explained what you have meant. It's been a privilege to study what you do in the shooting world.

Bryan,

While I've disagreed on much smaller points in the past with you...and come to good solution I think, I completely see validity in your statements here. Courtney takes his own turn and suggest slower twists for projectiles we have pushed for years to tighten up. The damage done is what then becomes available to the average shooter getting a new barrel to step up in their abilities. It's hard to defeat the 1-12" mantra because it sells the most. We have new bullets that require a 1-9" twist now. Or tighter depending on caliber! Manufacturing is not a beast as easily turned as a horse in harness on a plow.

You on the other hand you have always held the high road. And, like with me, explained what you have meant. It's been a privilege to study what you do in the shooting world.

Well put Sandwarroir,..I wasn't aware of Courtney and his personal rants but am truly mystified why he thinks things should be the reverse of what testing shows works??

Brian has not only put forward valid arguments, he has the real world data thats now verified by shooters/customers to back it.

And this is why I love the hide...not many forums offer access and dialogue with the true experts of their given topic the way this place does. The more I learn about this stuff, the more I understand and appreciate just how special this place actually is.