• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decent Budget Spotting Scope?

eboggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2009
Ohio, USA
Im looking for a Decent Spotting Scope (under $150) that will allow me to see .223 holes in targets out to at least 150 yards...maybe 200 if I had to.....Doesnt have to be great...or super high quality (duh)...just good enough to see holes....and not break right off the bat...

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

E.

Re: Decent Budget Spotting Scope?

I have a Burris High Country 20-60x spotting scope. You can often find these for ~$150. I can see .223 holes at 200 yds with mine. Another good one for about $50 more is the Konus 20-60x. Neither will give you top-of-the line clarity, but are a good value for the price.

Let us know what you decide. Am in the same boat, need one but will use it so infrequently, that dropping a ton doesn't make sense.

I bought a Simmons 20-60x60 from Cabela's for $100.00.

It works good at 100 yds. 200 yds is about it's limit. You need splash targets with card board behind them. The wind flutters in paper and bullet holes are hard to see.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Nikon or Vortex. Voxtex Nomad at around $350.

Or Nikon ProStaff 5 around $550.

But I need to lose some weight anyway. If the Simmons doesn't work I'll just walk to the target.

I have the Konus 20-60 x 80 and it will do what you want to do easily, but as 12Bravo said it does cost a bit more. Only thing is the tripod that comes with it does the job but it's not real good. Furthest I have spotted is .308 holes at 400yds, I'd be confident I could take it further. For a cheap spotter I am happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don-n-Texas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a Simmons 20-60x60 from Cabela's for $100.00.

It works good at 100 yds. 200 yds is about it's limit. You need splash targets with card board behind them. The wind flutters in paper and bullet holes are hard to see.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Nikon or Vortex. Voxtex Nomad at around $350.

Or Nikon ProStaff 5 around $550.

But I need to lose some weight anyway. If the Simmons doesn't work I'll just walk to the target. </div></div>

I bought my Simmons at Wallyworld.... it SUCKS
I can see more with my nightforce at a lot lower power

I'm in the market for one myself. Funny how these topics come up at the right time. I think I will try the Konus. $170 is fairly reasonable.

I picked up a Redfield Rampage tonight at the local Bass Pro Shop. It was about $240 and seems like a pretty nice piece for the price compared to some of the Redhead's and Bushnell's in the same price range.

One thing that stood out was that the eye relief and image size was much better at higher mags than a couple other sub 300 dollar spotters I looked through.

several of the local highpower guys are using them and like them alot they are clearer than most scopes 2 to 3 times there price.

A fellow bought a Winchester spotter and I laughed to myself at first but after sneaking a peak it was pretty darn good and I know he didn't spend too much on it. My buddy has a cheap Barska 20-60X and honestly it's pretty good for how cheap it is.....not as nice as my older Kowa but for serious plinking get's the job done and can see 22 holes at 200 yards when mirage is down.

Creedmore Sports carries a range of scopes with their name on them. I dont know how good they are - I think one is in the $60 range so I wouldnt expect German glass quality - but if they totally sucked on arrival I'm thinking Creedmore would back it.

Jim Owens (web search) is a high power rifle supporter. He sells Konus on his site. He had a deal that if you buy a Konus from him and decide (within a year I think) to upgrade to a Kowa he will give you 100% for your Konus on trade in toward a Kowa buy from him. He donates the used Konus to juniors. Something to consider.

I know this is probably a bad word around here, but I have a Barska Blackhawk 20-60X. It does everything I need it to do, and it's in your price range. You will be able to see those holes at 150.

I agree. I also have a Barska Blackhawk 20-60 and for the money, it can't be beat. I can see .308 holes out to 300 yards as long as I use a clean background. I usually use large white foam-board available at Staples and shoot-n-see targets. I can even see holes at 500 yards with a white foam-board backing. 500 yards is pushing it though and I need something better or more powerful for this distance to see the holes easier and more quickly. Barska makes good stuff for the price that you pay. I can't comment on how it would work with .223 holes. I don't yet own anything in that caliber and haven't really tested the scope to resolve .223 holes.

I also have a Barska biometric safe that I keep a pistol in for home security purposes and it works great. Push the button and place your finger on the fingerprint reader and it opens. It does this all faster than you could possibly use a combination, a key or type in numbers like on other safes. The thing is rock solid and will not open unless the fingerprint that's programmed is placed on the reader. There is a key for backup if needed. I recommend this to anyone who wants secure, quick access to a pistol. The price was very good aslo. More than I wanted to spend but,I definitely sleep better knowing that a Glock is quickly accessible yet completely secure.

I have expensive rifle scopes (IOR Valdada) but wanted to try A Barska spotting scope because so many people that reviewed it before I bought mine rated it very highly.

Since I've had good luck with my Barska 20-60 spotting scope, I was thinking that the newer Barska that is 125 power might allow me to see the holes more clearly. Has anyone used this model Barska spotting scope?

I decided to get the Barska 125x spotting scope to see if it would help me see .308 holes better @ 500 yards. I might get to the range this weekend. If I do, I'll post my thougyhts on the scope that only cost $149.00.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proulxlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I decided to get the Barska 125x spotting scope to see if it would help me see .308 holes better @ 500 yards. I might get to the range this weekend. If I do, I'll post my thougyhts on the scope that only cost $149.00. </div></div>

You won't be seeing 308 holes In paper @ 500 with that.

I have an old tasco 25x spotting scope that works for the 200 yard range but the quality is not that great. It is very durable and has lasted ~15 years of being bashed around. If you can find some non zoom options you might get slightly higher quality per $ (however, I have not searched for cheap glass in years).

The US Optics spotter listed for sale in the Optics for Sale forum with bag and manfrotto tripod/head lookks like a good deal but at $1300 its not at the low end of the price scale.

I'm in the same boat, need to keep it below $ 250.00 considering the amount of range time I get and other monetary obligations. I was looking at the:
Konus 20X60 80mm http://www.midwayusa.com/product/466045/...e-armored-green
the Barska 20-60x 60mm http://www.midwayusa.com/product/766437/...r-armored-black
and the Barska 20-60x 100mm http://www.midwayusa.com/product/610363/...r-armored-black ?
It looks like edge goes to the Konus in the reviews.
I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and a Mk12 Mod 1 Clone in .223 so being able to see small holes on a white target is important.
Also, what is a good tripod or scope stand ?

I recentely went through the same exercise and had to elevate my budget just a bit to buy the Celestron Ultima 100. It had very good reviews everywhere I checked (except with birders) and was the only thing I could find in this price range that can see 30 caliber holes at 600 yards.

I also came up with an inexpensive DIY Prone Scope Stand for it.