• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Decent Free Ballistic Computer for WM6

GordoB

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2010
Hey there,

I have been looking around the forums and i must admit that im sorry i have not found it earlier. this is AWESOME!!!

Anyway, Down to business:
I have a HTC Pharos running WM6 and i have been scouring the Net looking for a decent free ballistic Computer to use at the range / when hunting.

Could anyone lend me their knowledge on the Free software thats on offer?

Thanks in advance,
GordoB

Re: Decent Free Ballistic Computer for WM6

The best free ballistic program for any platform is JBM Ballistics.

http://www.jbmballistics.com

No, it won't run on a PDA or smartphone.

There are good and inexpensive programs like Ballistic FTE for the iphone and itouch.

There are no good and inexpensive programs for a Windows Mobile platform that I'm aware of. The two best are Field Firing Solutions and Exbal.

http://www.precisionworkbench.com

http://www.perry-systems.com

There is a version of the Pejsa Excel spreadsheet that will, but it's utility is limited at longer ranges - and longer ranges is where you need accuracy in a ballistic program.

http://www.jacksonrifles.com/files/pejsa%20ballistics.xls

Bryan Litz's comments on the limitations of that method may be found here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1117772#Post1117772

I find it...interesting that precision rifles shooters who spend $3K or more on rifles and then $2K or more on optics balk at spending a few bucks on ballistics programs.

But you can use JBM Ballistics to make a density altitude ballistics card, and then use an online DA calculator, or learn how to calculate density altitude manually.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmcard-5.0.cgi

Making Ballistic Cards Using Density Altitude

Manual Calculation of Density Altitude

I found this while I on the google search engine for windows mobile ballistics

http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=407735

Called BallCalc - still looks like a beta but for free you can't argue. If you do use it please leave the guy with some feed back for improvement.

you can download it here: http://ballcalc.sourceforge.net

Let's us know how it works out for you here on the hide as well.

Just finished reading the thread on the site and so far the members on that site have good reviews. Looks like it's at version 1.8 now.

I think it's time to upgrade my phone
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GordoB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey there,

I have been looking around the forums and i must admit that im sorry i have not found it earlier. this is AWESOME!!!

I have a HTC Pharos running WM6 and i have been scouring the Net looking for a decent free ballistic Computer to use at the range / when hunting.

Thanks in advance,
GordoB </div></div>

GordoB,

Before you decide to spend your hard earned money, do investigate about what you're being told.
Nothing was said about LoadBase 3.0 that to many long range shooters is simply the best of the best.
Nothing out there comes close to it!
I have used FFS and I own the PDA version of Exbal 6.5 which last time I checked was the latest version. Neither program come even close to LoadBase 3.0; all you have to do is run all three and boy you'll know the difference.
I don't work for Patagonia Ballistics, and don't get anything from them for posting about their product, my incentive and great reward is knowing the I helped someone else to spend their money right the first time. So far, every person I know that has bought LoadBase 3.0 has expressed their satisfaction. Not only because of having an awesome, powerful ballistic application but also the very best customer service.
According to their website, at Patagonia Ballistics, the whole package is $148.50 which includes LB3.0D (For Desktop) <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> LB3.0M (For Windows mobile PDA) These two applications will synchronize with each other. That means you can create in your desktop computer your own data, personal loads for different rifles, calibers etc. and once your pda is connected to your computer, on the click of a button all your data is transfered to your PDA and ready to be used in the field! That's awesome!!! You can only appreciate it you had been doing it your self by hand on both devises; very time consuming.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Why would anyone pay $200.00 on a inferior program that only operates on a pda and not on the PC?</span> Generally speaking, PC versions are more robust than mobile versions and will do great things for you to help enjoy your exterior ballistics. I need to say that LoadBase in their LB3.0D has a huge database containing loads for a variety of calibers using different bullets and bullet weights, Data base is very large with all kind of info.

Not only LoadBase 3.0 is less expensive but compared to Exbal which you have to pay for any update, we have been getting free updates for a long time and when LoadBase2.0 UPGRADED to LOADBASE 3.0 which was a major leap, all of us, previous users of LoadBase 2.0, got it for FREE! How can Patagonia ballistic do that? I don't know but they did it for their customers!!!

Seriously, with no ill-intent, I stand on the side of the user, the people, my shooting buddies, Exbal and LoadBase 3.0 can not even be compared. LoadBase is so much more advanced that making a comparison is a total waste of time.
You'll ask me, if that's so why do you own it? Simple, was the first one that I bought and at the time LoadBase 2.0 was in the works to come out.

Bottom line, with LoadBase 3.0 you get for less money the best of the best; you get two applications, one for your computer and one for your windows mobile PDA, you get FREE UPDATES for both of them, The Best Customer Service and a piece of mind that you spent your money just right!

Here's a link but keep in mind that many updates have come through already.

LINK # 1

Ballcalc works on my smartphone (HTC snap) and is a great free app.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eaglet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GordoB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey there,

Thanks in advance,
GordoB </div></div>

GordoB,

Before you decide to spend your hard earned money, do investigate about what you're being told.
Nothing was said about LoadBase 3.0 that to many long range shooters is simply the best of the best.
Nothing out there comes close to it!
I have used FFS and I own the PDA version of Exbal 6.5 which last time I checked was the latest version. Neither program come even close to LoadBase 3.0; all you have to do is run all three and boy you'll know the difference.
I don't work for Patagonia Ballistics, and don't get anything from them for posting about their product, my incentive and great reward is knowing the I helped someone else to spend their money right the first time. So far, every person I know that has bought LoadBase 3.0 has expressed their satisfaction. Not only because of having an awesome, powerful ballistic application but also the very best customer service.
According to their website, at Patagonia Ballistics, the whole package is $148.50 which includes LB3.0D (For Desktop) <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> LB3.0M (For Windows mobile PDA) These two applications will synchronize with each other. That means you can create in your desktop computer your own data, personal loads for different rifles, calibers etc. and once your pda is connected to your computer, on the click of a button all your data is transfered to your PDA and ready to be used in the field! That's awesome!!! You can only appreciate it you had been doing it your self by hand on both devises; very time consuming.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Why would anyone pay $200.00 on a inferior program that only operates on a pda and not on the PC?</span> Generally speaking, PC versions are more robust than mobile versions and will do great things for you to help enjoy your exterior ballistics. I need to say that LoadBase in their LB3.0D has a huge database containing loads for a variety of calibers using different bullets and bullet weights, Data base is very large with all kind of info.

Not only LoadBase 3.0 is less expensive but compared to Exbal which you have to pay for any update, we have been getting free updates for a long time and when LoadBase2.0 UPGRADED to LOADBASE 3.0 which was a major leap, all of us, previous users of LoadBase 2.0, got it for FREE! How can Patagonia ballistic do that? I don't know but they did it for their customers!!!

Seriously, with no ill-intent, I stand on the side of the user, the people, my shooting buddies, Exbal and LoadBase 3.0 can not even be compared. LoadBase is so much more advanced that making a comparison is a total waste of time.
You'll ask me, if that's so why do you own it? Simple, was the first one that I bought and at the time LoadBase 2.0 was in the works to come out.

Bottom line, with LoadBase 3.0 you get for less money the best of the best; you get two applications, one for your computer and one for your windows mobile PDA, you get FREE UPDATES for both of them, The Best Customer Service and a piece of mind that you spent your money just right!

Here's a link but keep in mind that many updates have come through already.

LINK # 1

</div></div>

I can second LoadBase 3.0. The program is a data junkies dream. It does lack some of the tactical options that Precision Workbench has. However, I love this program. Initial program start up is a little slow, but after that it is plenty fast. Customer support is top notch too.

don't forget you can run a palm emulator on WM5 and above called StyleTap and though it is not free, there are many free ballistics programs for the PalmOS that ARE free.

Ballistic V1.0, Pocket SSF are but two i have loaded on my phone(s) - HTC Imagio and HTC Tilt

Here's one that I've used. Its decently accurate for what I use it for. Basically you make an account and then make up loads. When your done with that download the pda version and follow the instructions.
http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalcAdv.aspx