• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

decent plastic/rubber watch?

Roadwild17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Central East Texas
Hey guys i need to get a decent watch with little to no metal. I work with high voltage ac and dc and control circits. Im looking for some basic time,date, alarm, stopwatch stuff and no metal other than a buckel for a rubber or silicone strap. I want something on the tougher end, going for the buy once cry once approach here. Any suggestions.

Re: decent plastic/rubber watch?

A Casio G-shock pretty much describes what you are looking for. I have worn one for years, and have been pretty happy with it.

I have been using the Casio DW-5600 series G-Shock for well over 20 years. Unfortunately, not the same watch across the years. It stays on my wrist almost 24-7. It does have a SS back, with metallic function buttons on the sides. They are quite rugged, except when too much pressure from a bolt-head fractured the face on one. It is my dive watch, sail watch, and every day watch. Not bad for ~ $40-$50.

Note that not all G-Shock models are same. This model has a straight digital display, with no "analog looking" artifacts.

Kevin

It's pretty hard finding a watch without a metal case back. That being said, I own an older HighGear alti watch that's all plastic. The only metal is the rotating bezel. It may not be fancy but it has mostly what you're looking for. Plus the altimiter works better than a couple more expensive ones I've tried.

Here's a used one on EBay, perfect for beating up at work. Mine is on it's 3rd battery and still taking a beating. This version is no longer available, that's why I'm directing you to this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HighGear-/230847322280?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item35bf9298a8

I may have miss stated what I ment, the watch can't have much /any exposed metal. A cover on the back isn't a big deal. A metal bezel is a no go. Metal clasp on the back are kinda ok if small, they prefer us have velcro, but I'm not in 3rd grade anymore so screw them.

The g shocks are nice, but most of them lit for $ 100+, may have to shop arounda bit more.

I guess given I worked in a related field in the military I just got in the habit of taking rings watches and jewelry off before working on equipment. from my perspective its a safety concern if you accidentally touch a high voltage circuit and your wrist has a watch on it it could get hung up on something. your situation may be different.

+1 on the G Shock i've worn mine every day on patrol for the last 8 years and through every firearms class and never a problem with it. Just have chenged the battery.

A buddy of mine worked in a meat processing plant and couldn't wear a watch so he ended up with just a cheap stopwatch that was all plastic except for the screws and internals. He just tied it off to his belt and kept it in his pocket.

I've got a G-Shock and have worn it everyday for 3 years now. It's taken a beating and kept on going.