• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deciding on a robust AR10

The F4 Defense SF10 is the "small frame" AR10 (like the DPMS G2) done right. I'd recommend checking it out.
You are right. F4 defense makes an absolute badass G2. But there Barrel selection is incredibly Limited. And their rifles are very expensive.

All of the above. Once they have your money they don’t give 2 shits about you.
And they like to make you feel stupid for questioning what could be wrong with their product. They treat their customers like peeons. I’ve sold all my Larue stuff. I primarily use adm for scope/rods/bipod/flashlight mounts now. Which really sucks because as a Texan I like to keep my money in Texas when I can

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
PS - Whatever you do dont buy a S&W .308 because that barrel connection (DI) is proprietary and they wont sell a spare barrel.

The rifle is junk when the barrel is shot out.
Any DPMS pattern barrel will work on an M&P10. You just have to change the BCG out with the barrel because the extension is proprietary as well as the bolt and carrier. Not sure what you mean by "barrel connection".

You are right. F4 defense makes an absolute badass G2. But there Barrel selection is incredibly Limited. And their rifles are very expensive.

Yeah it is somewhat limiting. You can buy G2 barrel extensions and have a smith spin you up one, and a few companies are making them. Ironically this makes it easier to get G2 barrels than an LMT or KAC barrel. But it is still more proprietary than not. The one part that is harder to find is the BCG. I think you have to get that right from a manufacturer and not retail still.

Any DPMS pattern barrel will work on an M&P10. You just have to change the BCG out with the barrel because the extension is proprietary as well as the bolt and carrier. Not sure what you mean by "barrel connection".

Interesting.....

S&W owners were saying otherwise regards barrel changes and after speaking with S&W about rifles they were unhappy with.

Not sure what your budget is but I recommend the LMT MWS. With the ability to change calibers you can roll with .308 or 6.5cm in various barrel lengths. Its a very proven platform and very smooth shooting. Many good options including the ones you listed.
I recently bought a Nemo Recon. I’ve put an IOR Valdada Terminator on it. Breaking the barrel in it’s sub moa at 100. Haven’t had the chance to stretch it out yet. So far I love the gun.

LaRue OBR, KAC, or LMT MWS (slickside not the quad rail) would be how I’d go and all are pretty much the definition of robust. Gun to head, I’d go LMT MWS because of the accuracy (their SS barrels are lasers), one piece upper/monolithic rail, ability to easily swap calibers, and ambi controls. Don’t get me wrong, I really liked my OBR, but the LMT is where it’s at. Between those two and the KACs, I’d still personally go LMT. Nothing against KAC and they’ve served me well, but the one piece rail and barrel swap puts LMT over KAC. Accuracy wise, there isn’t a difference between KAC and LMT.

When it comes to weight, they are all proven battle rifles that are designed for exactly that, so weight is something that is a given.

That being said, I’ve never used the JP but a lot of dudes swear by them. Never having handled it, or the GAP, I can’t give an educated opinion on em.
LaRue is a proven battle rifle? I agree with everything you said but that. I am unaware of the obr being used, much less extensively, in battle.

I don’t believe the MWS is more robust than the SR-25, and the others on the market trail them in robustness due to the small parts.
you've not been in the Stan or Iraq have you?

Good Point, let me try to refine some details:

-PRICE: around 2500
-max estimated range: 800
-accuracy requirement: sub MOA
-Weight: would prefer lighter, but I understand that sometimes shit is just heavy
-Primary use: Shooting steel, with double duty as a coyote gun. Will be hiked around the woods/ mountains
-Caliber: .308 because I already have about 1000 match grade rounds and 8 SR25 mags
-Random shit: I don't baby my rifles, and I don't clean them nearly as much as I should. They will get beat up and scuffed up with use. I want the gun to deal with a reasonable amount of abuse and not have any issues with being dirty. I would also like an adjustable gas block (if that is a thing on these factory rifles) because it will be ran suppressed. I also want it to look sweet... The predatOBR looks amazing, and of course JPs look great too. IDK how sold I am on the MWS looks wise, but for the right price, anything looks pretty.

I know this may just confuse people, or just make them frustrated, but I would like to see what peoples opinions are on the subject.

you just described the mws but I'll say that weight is not a consideration given the product details from kac and lmt would surprise many. Gen 1 lmt had issues suppressed, appears that was the only time so to speak.

I like to build rifles so if faced with our decision, I'd go LMT or I'd build using an Aero parts.

Either way, LMT was built for war and by all accounts, it's ridiculously robust with the Brits and Americans, who had the chance to play with them, loving them with very higher end user scores

Who has experience with both? Considering that we are now two or three generations beyond the M110 and one beyond the British MWS.

LMT has made some minor improvements to the MWS but now that they are making their own cut rifled barrels in house instead of using Rock Creek Blanks, id wait to see how accuracy and performance holds up.

There's a company out of Texas that did something similar that hasn't worked out too well for them.....

Reactions: LeadZeke
Interesting.....

S&W owners were saying otherwise regards barrel changes and after speaking with S&W about rifles they were unhappy with.
I remember one dude that blew his gun up due to a barrel obstruction complaining about S&W any place he could a few years back. Other than that i havent heard much. I offered to buy the whole mess from him but never heard anything back. The M&P10 I had was a good rifle. It was lightweight, soft shooting, and decently accurate.
M&P 10.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pmclaine
For a robust AR 10 based rifle that is accurate as hell, look no farther than the JP. Pricey yes, but robust and very accurate.

Yeah it is somewhat limiting. You can buy G2 barrel extensions and have a smith spin you up one, and a few companies are making them. Ironically this makes it easier to get G2 barrels than an LMT or KAC barrel. But it is still more proprietary than not. The one part that is harder to find is the BCG. I think you have to get that right from a manufacturer and not retail still.
F4 defense was selling G2 bolt carrier groups but discontinued it. I believe at one point they were selling uppers and lowers also.