• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decisions, long range rifle

Joseph metz

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2010
Il,Winnebago county
I'm a newbie in this sport. I couldn't decide on my first long range gun. I went to schryvers in forreston il, and couldn't have received better intel, or first hand experience. Lin is always helpful, and knows his products. He owns and shoots both of the guns I was considering. I was weighing the barrett 98 Bravo vs the Accuracy International. Lin explained his personal experience with both. Rick also gave his first hand experience with the A.I. That he owns. Lin finally said "why not buy both" and it made sense. Learn on the A.I. With lower cost ammo .308, then proceed to the Barrett .338, which has a much better logistic report. So I did, and left with 2 new rifles, at competitive prices. I'm very happy with both guns, my wife says that's it for fathers day.
The information that these guys provide makes it worth while for the trip to illinois to their shop. It's not like all of the idle chat, that's half true on the Internet. When these guys tell you about how a gun shoots, with certain ammo, optics, and ect, then they back it up by pulling out the targets with the groups. Once you visit, you'll understand they like what they do, shoot often and allot.

Re: Decisions, long range rifle

i wish i had the cash to walk into a gun shop not knowing what the hell i was even doing there, and walk out with a AI and B98. Damn... I need to bump it from 72 hrs a week at work to 96! but i already dont have enough time to shoot...

I agree that shooting is shooting to a degree, but beware that a .308 and a .338 lapua shoot totally different. They are acutually on two ends of the spectrum. I don't know if you can just train with just one and go out and expect to know what to expect out of the other. Wind drift is less than half and long ranges on the .338. I am glad to see you with two quality rifles but its kindof like learning to drive a honda civic to get ready for your first nascar race. I would say to atleast match your scopes to get familiar with one design. The money you would save from not buying the AI, ammo, and scope you will put on it would have covered the ammo for the .338. but good luck buddy, I wish the best for you.

Thanks for the feed back. I don't plan to just train on the .308, but long enough to know what I'm doing, then start training with the b98. I agee with your scope logic, I'm considering the hensolt zeiss 6x24x72 or the S&B PM ll 5x25x56. The SB has the option for the barrette Bors system, but the HZ doesn't yet. I understand the civic, NASCAR logic, my last sport is big game sport fishing. After going out once a month for a week or so, I found the skill levels takes more time/experience, so I left Florida and fished for 30 months before I brought the boat back. Then I had the experience I wanted. No world records, but several 1000 pound fish. I I'm set on big game, think it can be as much fun, and for allot less $. I'll update my progress as I proceed..

Must have a very understanding wife and a hefty bank account. Don't know your experience on the AI, but when I got my AIAW in 308, I couldn't go anywhere else but AIAWSM for my 338LM. I heard that the Barrett Bravo98 is a great gun, but I am bias toward the AIAW series. Don't forget on the range report.

If it was me, I would get 2 Nightforce 5.5-22 with NPR1 reticle and MOA turrets and go out and practice practice and practice. But thats just me. Alot of people have different views on scopes. Post pics of the game you take but please exercise caution on long range hunting. Get a good range finder and drop chart (remember that the chart will need to be changed if you go somewhere with different atmospheric conditions). You will learn alot pretty soon.

Papajoe,
I would not go with Nightforce until they come out with knobs with more than 10 MOA per revolution if you want to shoot at longer distances. Even with the .338, you will drop somewhere around 26-28MOA from your 100 yard zero to your 1k zero - that'd be over 2.5 full rotations on the NF. Pretty easy to get yourself lost. I'm a USO guy myself and love the EREK elevation knob, but the scopes you mentioned are darn fine choices as well. Just look for something with lots of internal elevation range and lots of elevation per knob revolution - makes keeping track of where you are much easier at long ranges. I'm sure the folks at Schryver can let you look through some nice examples.

Don't let anybody get on you about buying nice stuff right off the bat without "paying your dues" or some crap like that. Not everyone in the world is 22 years old and struggling to scrape by. I started buying guns around 15 years ago when I was young and broke and couldn't afford much. Now I'm older and a lot better off and I can buy nicer stuff. That's the natural progression of life for most people - work hard now = make more $ later. If I was just getting into guns now, you can bet your ass I'd just skip right over all of the low-end guns I bought initially and go straight for the good stuff. It's your money and I assume you earned it, so do whatever the heck you want with it.

Good luck,
Erik

I have too state my sincere appreciation for all of the feed back. I will creed every advise and add it to my data collection. You all obviously have allot more experience than I do, and it's greatly appreciated. I hope if any of you see a "rookie" at the range near you, and you have the time to stop and share your experience, it will be welcomed. Re. The input of the A.I. For the .338; I'm considering that option also. I read a post about the world record sniper from Canada that have 3 great shots, at 1.5 miles. I will train and "test" the barrette .338 first, and determined if the need is there for the AI, or a different caliber. Does anyone have the barrett 98b and the A.I. That can provide some input on these in .338?
You know the problem is there are too many good gun available. As a novice, I prefer well built, reliable, durable, rifles that are "common" and not a 1 off, customs.
I assumed that experience and range time is key to gaining long range experience, besides a quality rifle.

Lin great is a guy I have two rifles from him. Go out and pratice, read everything you can and take advice and go pratice again. Nice picks on the rifles and I to am a USO man.

Dustin

I received an e-mail from Nightforce stating you can order scopes with the 20 MOA(per revolution) turrets now. They .25 MOA clicks also.

They also have a 40 MOA (per revolution)turret, but those are 1 MOA clicks.

My advice?

Take your 338 and get to a LR shooting school. Schools are between 500 and 1,500 bucks. Right after the school, spend the first several months shooting to 1,000 yards and beyond if you're comfortable.

You can read about wind and what is does to your bullet, but until you actually experience it, you won't have it down. Even better, don't just practice on flat ground, get up into the mountains and learn about wind currents and how they create left-right pushes and up and down drafts.

kz

Scope advise, SB 5x25x56 PM 2 vs hensolt 6x24x72. The hensolt is $500 more, and no bors system available. These 2 scopes seem to be at the higher end of consumer optics. I don't want to buy twice, or be outdated. It would be interesting what everyone pays for these scopes also.
Thankyou

I opted for the s&b because it is great glass and first focal plane, which is quite useful in follow up shots and reticle ranging. both skills you will need if you want to shoot tactical matches. if you want a hensoldt look at the ffp 4-16.

fine taste in rifles and scopes you can't go wrong with any of them though.

sir i wish i could do what you did.

that is by far a spectacular set of rifles. don't let anyone talk you down from what you did.

i would opt for the s&b optics, if not a us optics.

it would be almost impossible to outdate any of those optics you mentioned.

i don't know much about the hensoldt stuff.

it sounds like you know what you want.

call mike at cs tactical or liberty optics they can help you and answer your questions. if not call s&b directly and maybe they can help you also.

i live in Illinois also.

Congratz on your purchases Papajoe. Color me jealous. I to am a newbie at this to and pretty much got all I can out of my 30-06 and i am looking at a rem 700 ADL because unfortunately thats all I can afford and its on sale. Someday tho hopefully I can get a AI. Please keep us posted with how they are for you.

Wow, wish I could convince my wife to allow me to spend so much on new rifles, especially being new to the sport.

Just curious, is there anyone out there that shots 338 Lapua and does not reload. I would think the cost would be prohibtive.

In the same boat as you Papajoe. I decided to jump straight into the deep end with a precision rifle. Ive only owned hunting rifles in the past. After doing a shit ton of reading and researching, I went straight out and got an AI AW 300wm with a S&B 5-25x56 on top. We use the AI AW's at home so know they have the goods. You wont be disappointed with it. Got all the bells and whistles I needed and have also just started my hand at reloading (after reading until my eyes bleed on this site). The guys and gals on this site are extremely helpful to intelegent questions (get popcorn and sit back when you see the oposite posted lol). I can only shoot while Im back on leave so dont get near as much practise as Id like. But getting there slowely but surely. Good to hear frm someone who is like minded...."Do it once...Do it right!".

I'm too new at this rifle shooting sport. We have quite a few more restictions and limited access to gear in this part of the world mainly due to the small consumer market size and BS current government trying to impose on us. Wish that we have AI's and Barret's available in our local gun shops.

I started with a Nightforce then subsequently purchased a Premier Heritage because I found out that the first focal scope would suit me better.

My suggestion would be to buy once.

Well; it's a pleasure to hear from someone who has such a positive outlook and is willing to bestow credit for positive results. Rather few and far between on this site, and I, for one, am most happy when it occurs.

Please keep us posted.

All I would care to add is that good tools complement good skills, that I encourage taking the time to get thse skills formally addressed, and investing in a training setup that encourages lots and lots of practice.

While recommending a .22LR setup has a good basis in cost containment, it has many other good attributes to recommend it. I especially like its ability to demonstrate deeper end trajectory performance at distances that are more easily found locally.

Primarily, I would stress that reliability is the key motivator here, and that basic simplicity has always served me best.

The .22lr platform, while responsive to investment, is also intrinsically effective without requiring bigger pricetags. The money is best spent on good ammo, and I have always gotten good cost effectiveness from CCI Blue Box Standard Velocity Target ammo.

Best fortune.

Greg