• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Dedicated 5.46 pistol suppressors opinions

Triton225

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2019
Looking at getting a suppressor for a 11.5" 5.56 AR. Would like some opinions on guys that have or have friends with one.
Would like something on the short side, has a low back pressure, and does a pretty good job at flash suppression and noise reduction. (Want it all right?l
Been thinking about the Recce 5 mod 4, Eplororr .224, and Razor 5.56 Not against another suggestion if it does most of the above well. Hopeful for some real world feed back on this.
Also, what mount system would help keep it short. I have some Nox MD's already on some. But since it's dedicated I'm not against swapping out. Nice to have a FH or something for when I don't shoot suppressed.

I have a few Griffin cans and they are great. That in no way detracts from other options.

I just got one of my Recce 5 recored to the new eco baffles. It's awesome.

If the priority is sound then go recce 5. If it's weight then go explorr.

I have an explorr but the 30 cal version. It's great. The weight difference is noticeable.

On balance though if I were doing it all over I would go with the Explorr, particularly on 5.56. No matter what brand you go with it will always be too loud to eliminate wearing ears (on 5.56) so the size and weight are able to be achieved a lot easier.

When you feel how light that can is you will thank me for it later on. Plus it's only minor sound differences between the two.

Abel Co. Biscuit (5.5") or Biscuit-S (4.7") are other options. Designed to have low back pressure and they supposedly have good flash suppression.

Looking at getting a suppressor for a 11.5" 5.56 AR. Would like some opinions on guys that have or have friends with one.
Would like something on the short side, has a low back pressure, and does a pretty good job at flash suppression and noise reduction. (Want it all right?l
Been thinking about the Recce 5 mod 4, Eplororr .224, and Razor 5.56 Not against another suggestion if it does most of the above well. Hopeful for some real world feed back on this.
Also, what mount system would help keep it short.

Adding to my previous comment. Don't go for the whole K can thing. It's not worth it. Weight makes a lot more difference than 1/2 inch of length.

A pound isn't much, but put it on the end of a broom stick and then tell me how much a pound really is. Basically the weight gets magnified the farther out it is.

I think you are right on the money with the explorr or something along those lines. The materials are extremely rugged but it rivals titanium weight wise.

Also where the engraving is at, if you ever need to replace baffles it's super easy to do with little risk of losing the serialized portion of the can. Maybe a week or two and it's good to go.

I really like the taper mount system too.

Also, what mount system would help keep it short. I have some Nox MD's already on some. But since it's dedicated I'm not against swapping out. Nice to have a FH or something for when I don't shoot suppressed.
The new Otter Creek Labs Polonium is a hard-use full-auto rated 17-4 stainless 5.56 suppressor, and from what I've seen and heard on their videos and their posts, it's REALLY quiet for a 5.56 can. I would take a look into it.

I have a couple of their new Hydrogen suppressors, and they are extremely quiet and very well-built. I highly recommend the Otter Creek Labs cans. Do a search on here, and you'll find my videos and link to my YouTube channel, with more videos of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
It says it's 17-4. Is there another version?
Corrected... I could have sworn he said he was making it out of Ti, maybe that was just a prototype he was testing or something... Might have been that new ultralight 9mm PCC can he's making. It's been a long day...

I am a big fan of the OSS 556K. Some of the guys I work with have used the Sig SLX556C and speak highly of it as well. Probably the next thing I will check out.

Adding to my previous comment. Don't go for the whole K can thing. It's not worth it. Weight makes a lot more difference than 1/2 inch of length.

All depends upon the use case. While I won't argue your point about weight, the length difference (which is more like 1.5") can be pretty dang important if you're indoors.

Also, while muzzle noise is undoubtedly louder with "K" cans, the nose levels at the shooter's ear doesn't necessarily increase by the same amount when using semi-auto platforms because back pressure is usually lower (which, uhh, is why they're louder). I'd prefer not to shoot a "K" can on an SBR without earpro, but I'd also prefer not to do the same with a standard-length can on an SBR and would far prefer either option over shooting an unsuppressed SBR without earpro - especially indoors. And the same holds true for hunting rifles - one shot with a "K" can on a 18-20" gun is far more pleasant than a 22-24" rifle that's not suppressed.

Like everything, it's a matter of making the best compromise for one's intended use.