• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deer Dragging

3fingervic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2011
Clinton Twp., MI U.S.A.
I dragged a 110lb doe about 500 yards through a winter rye field the other day. I had to take 10 breaks during the drag, and I felt like played three hockey games the next day. Next year I will be equipped with a deer cart, but should I have been able to drag that deer without a problem?

Re: Deer Dragging

I always got winded dragging them, even when i was in my prime. Heck, drug one all the way up out of the bottom of a gas line at Coopers Rock in WV when I was 24 and dang near killed myself by the time I go him out to the truck. Decided I would never go INTO the woods downhill as that mean dragging them uphill on the way out!!

Now, I just use the Polaris Ranger and go pick them up wherever they drop.....I like easy.

Be careful out there. A lot of heart attacks happen like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derek01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful out there. A lot of heart attacks happen like that. </div></div>

+1 on that. When you start huffing and puffing take a rest. Many hunters are way out of shape, hit the woods, drop a critter and start doing exercise for the first time in a year. Dangerous.

Dragging over snow is way easier but even with a dead sled (plastic toboggan thing for deer) it's hard. I've drug (dragged?) deer a long way over dry grass and it sucks! My friend and I looked at a mule deer and thought "Hey, let's just drag this thing to the truck, it's only 1/2 mile." STUPID!! Anything far from the truck get's boned out in the field from now on. Every time I've boned a deer in the field I'm glad I did. Take the bags (Alaskan game bags) home and cut it up quick and you're done.

I did drag it by the head using a rope tied to a sling. I took about 10 breaks in the 500 yards. I didn't want to have a heart attack in the field, my wife would kill me.
smile.gif

Dragging is no gusta. I've applied the "Get a tree branch and tie it to it like a cartoon." method before and it worked well, just you need 2 people to do it, and rope; lots of rope.

I found it gets easier to if you can get them up a bit higher than leaving the whole deer on the ground. Not really easy to do with a buck but if its a baldy...get those front shoulders off the ground a bit an it makes it much nicer.

Dragged all my adult life have now devised a lil trick:

1) 25' 5/8 soft nylon rope ( it weighs a lil more but it has a lot more uses in the woods)

2) head between and tied to legs slip knot behind the ears folled with a clove hitch and additional half hitch around legs then head to legs ( half hitch towards the deers neck behind the clove hitch so knot don't slip when you pull

3) take rest rope and tie it into a bowline ( so the remaining rope is one big loop) leave a tail of about a foot

4) doudle rope tie it in ovehand between the bowline knot and the deer......use the tail of the bowline and secure it with a couple of half hitches

5) use overhand knots on the loop to shorten it up.......

The loop makes to shoulders straps ...adjust so deer head and neck is off the ground when you are wearing them and standing straight ( make sure deer is not banging the back of your legs)

(this works good on deer up to about 180#)

I wear this over my pack straps and let the rope ride on the middle of my pack....just pulled 100# doe out almost a half of a mile no stops ...and rifle still in hands ready for another shot.

Note: on Bucks put legs up inbetween antlers then tie accordingly...

Good Luck...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mt Al</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derek01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful out there. A lot of heart attacks happen like that. </div></div>

+1 on that. When you start huffing and puffing take a rest. Many hunters are way out of shape, hit the woods, drop a critter and start doing exercise for the first time in a year. Dangerous.

Dragging over snow is way easier but even with a dead sled (plastic toboggan thing for deer) it's hard. I've drug (dragged?) deer a long way over dry grass and it sucks! My friend and I looked at a mule deer and thought "Hey, let's just drag this thing to the truck, it's only 1/2 mile." STUPID!! Anything far from the truck get's boned out in the field from now on. Every time I've boned a deer in the field I'm glad I did. Take the bags (Alaskan game bags) home and cut it up quick and you're done. </div></div>

The deer kills the hunter. :IRONY:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teamor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">110 lb doe gut her out and throw her over the shoulders</div></div>

On private land maybe. good way to get shot on public land with all the morons out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm too old and lazy, I don't drag nothing.

Pete.JPG
</div></div>

Thats the way I'd prefer to hunt !! Nice.

Do you always go shoeless?

Dragging any deer is tough its all dead weight plus you're fighting the ground growth that just works against you. Always better to have 2 just for safety anyway

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dragged a 110lb doe about 500 yards through a winter rye field the other day. I had to take 10 breaks during the drag, and I felt like played three hockey games the next day. Next year I will be equipped with a deer cart, but should I have been able to drag that deer without a problem? </div></div>

Pretty much ANY dragging gets me puffing pretty good. Whether it's dragging people, dummies, or game. I'm 21 & in pretty good shape (280+ on Army PT tests). As another poster said, all that resistance from contact with the ground and vegetation is a lot to overcome

I had to drag one about 250 yards on flat ground, then up a steep bank about 60 feet or so, and was huffing and puffing by the top of the bank. Then I looked up and there was the game warden waiting to check my license. The least he could have done would have been to lend me a hand up that bank.

500 yards? My normal drag is about 1.5 miles!!

I passed the half century mark last year, and finally got a game cart. Now I just need to find a deer to shoot!

Anyone use one of those roll up plastic sleds? The High MW Plastic type, which roll up like an isomat when you're not using'em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Uncivilized</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone use one of those roll up plastic sleds? The High MW Plastic type, which roll up like an isomat when you're not using'em. </div></div>

Dead Sled. It's already been mentioned, but I'll through my opinion out there. I love them. I keep one with a drag harness in my small pack that I wear whenever I leave the truck. They easily slide over anything.

I used my full body tree stand harness for a while. Now my neighbor gets irritated if I don't call him and have him pick it up with the tractor. I think he just likes to play with his tractor. One of the perks of private land hunting. The most I drag them is to the edge of the woods, which may be 50 yrds. Now I have him thinking about leasing me the land so I have private hunting grounds and shooting range (100 acres). HEHEHE

Tie the front legs to the rack, or does head with rope. Use the safety harness you are wearin to your advantage. Hook on to the critter with the tree strap on the harness near the head and start pulling. Remember it's not a race out of the woods, you already have your trophy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mt Al</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derek01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful out there. A lot of heart attacks happen like that. </div></div>

Dragging over snow is way easier but even with a dead sled (plastic toboggan thing for deer) it's hard. I've drug (dragged?) deer a long way over dry grass and it sucks! My friend and I looked at a mule deer and thought "Hey, let's just drag this thing to the truck, it's only 1/2 mile." STUPID!! Anything far from the truck get's boned out in the field from now on. Every time I've boned a deer in the field I'm glad I did. Take the bags (Alaskan game bags) home and cut it up quick and you're done. </div></div>

++1 on that. I am a large person. I hike a very tough trail to hunt where I go,and by the end of day it is hard just to make it down. I realized that I need to improve my overall health this next year to continue hunting where I go. I would say exercise through the whole year so when you get back to season next year the trip/s are not so tough on you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dragged a 110lb doe about 500 yards through a winter rye field the other day. I had to take 10 breaks during the drag, and I felt like played three hockey games the next day. Next year I will be equipped with a deer cart, but should I have been able to drag that deer without a problem? </div></div>

I would say age and overall health would be a good indication of what you should be able to do. I work hard for the game and my buddy and I hiked out 2.5 miles a couple of years ago with a cow I shot. I carried both fronts and a hind quarter plus my rifle and gear.He carried the back straps, tender loins and the other hind quarter. we normally use a sled that makes life much easier! but thankfully the trip was mostly down hill. we had so much weight on us we could not sit! lol. but like I said in the previous post exercise throughout the year will go a long way! BTW if you smoke, not sure if you do, but if so just quit!

Tie the deer (if small) to a strong sapling of suitable size. Tie the deer to the sapling, lift sapling over shoulder and then drag just the end of the sapling. You've significantly reduced friction by reducing surface are of contact. In addition, you are lifting a "reduced" load because it is at an angle and the load is distributed over the shoulder and not "pulling" the back. The longer the sapling, the easier it should be.

I have to think of ways that help prevent back problems, as I destroyed my back in the army. No way I'd try and drag anything like a sled dog today.

Firemans carry on Does and Small Bucks.
Bone out in the field anything that is too big to carry whole.
I'll never drag a deer, it's the worst way to move a deer from point A to B

I have done a couple of things to help with the issue of getting animal out. Even when you're in good shape, it's still a workout dragging dead weight that seems to be hell bent on snagging every stinking sappling with its legs on the way by.

When I'm bowhunting from a treestand I keep a length of broadwater line that has a couple cheap 'beeners on each end. On goes around the head in a choker loop and the other end clips into the back of my safety harness from the climber. I only use this when I have to drag fields for a long distance though.

I've picked up small deer and carried them over the shoulder. The point someone made about getting shot by a jackass on public land is a good one and to do my best avoiding it I picked up a trick from a guy on here a couple years ago. I bought the cheapest orange vest I can find at walmart and dress the deer up in it so that if someone is stupid enough to take a look at a deer which is levitating through the woods 6 feet off the ground there's also the visual deterrent of a bright orange vest wrapped around the vital zone.

I avoid hunting public land as much as possible, but for a couple little known honey holes I still do it during bow season.

Not withstanding that some PT for folks of all ages is a good idea, especially those that are going to head into the field, a buddy is a good idea too.

I bought the cheapest orange vest I can find at walmart and dress the deer up in it so that if someone is stupid enough to take a look at a deer which is levitating through the woods 6 feet off the ground there's also the visual deterrent of a bright orange vest wrapped around the vital zone.

I do the same thing when carrying a deer. Put the vest on the deer.