• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Deer hunting with suppressors

rawdeal77

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Dallas & Lubbock, Tx
It seems like more states are allowing the use of suppressors when hunting. It seems like this is a good idea since hunters are not likely wearing hearing protectio and, therefore, subject to ear-damaging noise levels.

My question is, why hasn't Texas (which tends to be a "hunter-friendly" state) relaxed its rules accordingly?

Is there some kind of advantage to hunting with a suppressor even when using super sonic bullets?

Finally, do the states that do allow suppressors also allow sub sonic ammo?

Re: Deer hunting with suppressors

State of MS has no restrictions on what ammo you use when hunting with your suppressor.

Cheers,
Breeze

Things like hunter orange requirements, and noisey rifles, are very helpful to law enforcement to locate potential citation awardee's........just sayin'.

I wish NC would allow use of suppressors for hunting....I would pony up and buy one.

To me it is a win, win. No ear damage, less reciol and game doesn't spook as much. The small kids and my wife and daughter are able to shoot my 7wsm with can. I know shooting that rifle that the odds for great hits, very solid hits are improved over shooting guns that other camp members have "sighted in". This past weekend I had a 60# kid shooting my wsm when the other option was his 243. His hit was questionable but the difference in caliber made recovery very quick. He could not have shot that gun without the can and he did not flinch because it knew it was not loud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tackleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me it is a win, win. No ear damage, less reciol and game doesn't spook as much. </div></div>

you do know that even with a suppressor a supersonic bullet still has a high enough decibel level to do damage to hearing??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Things like hunter orange requirements, and noisey rifles, are very helpful to law enforcement to locate potential citation awardee's........just sayin'.</div></div>

That is why many states do not allow them.

You can hunt predators in Texas with a can, but not game. I think the state/s think more folks would be tempted to poach with the ability to be a bit quieter. Just my 2cents.

There is word that Texas will in fact allow suppressors for hunting deer and other game animals within the next year. The TPWD website will open to comments about hunting with suppressors beginning on the 26th of January, and they have done research on the use of suppressors for hunting purposes in other states. I have heard that it is very likely we will in fact be able to use our suppressors for game animals in the very near future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Things like hunter orange requirements, and noisey rifles, are very helpful to law enforcement to locate potential citation awardee's........just sayin'. </div></div>

^^^This, they have alot of citations to make out, and a damn short season in which to do it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rawdeal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally, do the states that do allow suppressors also allow sub sonic ammo? </div></div>

I believe that some states have some kind of energy equation that your ammunition must meet or exceed, others have just a minimum caliber. If it's the latter of the two, then I guess you are fine to use SS ammo as long as it doesn't conflict with your personal ethics.

Not allowed for big game hunting here in Montana. Predators yes, but thats it.

If you've ever been on the receiving end of high velocity rounds you know just how loud they are.

I was once involved in population control of captive herds. Using a suppressed weapon was really the way to go. It minimized the trauma to the herd when culling animals.

The best gun I ever used was a single shot .45acp rifle. Don't remember the manufacturer. Integral suppressed barrels really did the trick out to a hundred yards.

Suppressing high velocity rounds has its place but mostly in the business of hunting humans. The suppressor inhibits the high frequency. This in turn makes it difficult to spot the source of a shot.

It's funny but in Europe suppressors are quite the norm. They are available over the counter in countries like South Africa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 450 NE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Suppressing high velocity rounds has its place but mostly in the business of hunting humans. The suppressor inhibits the high frequency. This in turn makes it difficult to spot the source of a shot.
</div></div>

Has its place for shooting humans? WTF I know we are not to attack the new guys but seriously this is like calling a person’s parents Nazi's. Suppressing supersonic shots is a great way to hunt. As we all know the animal shot will never hear the shot even if it is unsuppressed. Why should American’s be forced to lose their hearing because they like to hunt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 450 NE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Has its place for shooting humans? WTF I know we are not to attack the new guys but seriously this is like calling a person’s parents Nazi's. Suppressing supersonic shots is a great way to hunt. As we all know the animal shot will never hear the shot even if it is unsuppressed. Why should American’s be forced to lose their hearing because they like to hunt?
</div></div>

Sorry. I don't even know what that means? Have you ever fired a
super sonic round through a can? If you are counting on that to save your ears you are sadly mistaken.

The nazi comment I don't even understand what you are alluding to or the comment about new guys. This is "snipershide". I didn't think that was referring to prairie dog shooting. There are only about a bazillian wars going on around the world where
using a suppressor or not greatly affects the mission. I certainly didn't think it would be out of line to bring it up??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 450 NE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 450 NE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

</div></div>

Sorry. I don't even know what that means? Have you ever fired a
super sonic round through a can? If you are counting on that to save your ears you are sadly mistaken.

The nazi comment I don't even understand what you are alluding to or the comment about new guys. This is "snipershide". I didn't think that was referring to prairie dog shooting. There are only about a bazillian wars going on around the world where
using a suppressor or not greatly affects the mission. I certainly didn't think it would be out of line to bring it up?? </div></div>

RPK...relax man. I think he is just saying it has a proven military purpose. Also, he's been around almost 2 years longer than you...not exactly a new guy.

450...I hunt pigs / yotes with a suppressed .308 shooting 168 SMK's (legal in Tejas). It doesn't seem to hurt my ears at all. Granted, that's not a scientific measurement of decibels measured at the ear, but it doesn't feel like I'm taking damage. Sure as hell doesn't hurt like my old AK with a PWS brake...OUCH that hurt.

Great topic...don't ruin it with the bs comments. I am hopeful that Texas allows use of suppressors while hunting game animals. I will be sure to keep my eyes on the G&F website so that I can voice my opinion. Is there anything else that is appropriate to do? Write our representatives? Please let me know.

I am from Texas as well. It is nice to see them coming around.

I got out of the Marines after two combat tours in Viet Nam. I had joined up at age 17. I got out at 21 with a diagnosed high frequency hearing loss. Back in those days we didn't pay much attention to noise suppression.

Now, when I talk to my beautiful granddaughters, sometimes I see their mouths moving but I don't hear a dang thing. It has gotten worse and worse over the years. I do know the results of not protecting your ears.

What most people don't know is that even a .22 causes damage to
ones ears.

Most people get their idea on "silencers" from TV. They don't really know how loud they still are.

Obviously, that's not the case with you. You have one.

One of the points I was trying to make is that the real advantage of using a suppressor while hunting deer is best gotten with subsonic rounds. The deer only hear a slap on the side of the deer next to them and then they fall down.

When using high velocity rounds there is a VERY large "crack" and then the slap and the deer falling down.

The difference is with the surviving deer. They are much less traumatized with the low velocity bullet.

Anyway, sorry to cause upset. Still not sure what it was but that's okay.

Cheers,
Richard

P.S. Keep killing those pigs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 450 NE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry. I don't even know what that means? Have you ever fired a

using a suppressor or not greatly affects the mission. I certainly didn't think it would be out of line to bring it up??</div></div>

Yes I have fired a supersonic round threw a sound suppressor and it does make it much more quiet. Yes you still need hearing protection.

Your comment make it sound like the “main or only” reason for sound suppression was for shooting people not just one application for suppression.

My comment about saving hearing is this. When you fire a rifle it is about 160db. now with a suppressor it will drop about 30db. with a good one. Dropping that much noise makes it much safer on a person’s ears than the full 160db. blast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ishikawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
RPK...relax man. I think he is just saying it has a proven military purpose. Also, he's been around almost 2 years longer than you...not exactly a new guy.

</div></div>

I was looking at his post count not his join date. I am just sick of progun people being anitgun. Not that I am claiming he is but his comment made it sound like it was what they were for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I was looking at his post count not his join date. I am just sick of progun people being anitgun. Not that I am claiming he is but his comment made it sound like it was what they were for. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Your comment make it sound like the “main or only” reason for sound suppression was for shooting people not just one application for suppression.
</div></div>

Dude, you are looking through some very weird glasses if that's what you took away from my post. I was talking about the use of suppressors with high velocity bullets and the difference in their use against people vs animals.

You think I am a pro gun guy who is actually against guns??? Again, I don't even know what you are talking about? Son of a Nazi. Is that me you are referring to? I don't if you are bipolar or what but those seem to be two conflicting concepts.

I would be willing to bet that I own more guns and have owned more guns than you and your best ten friends.

If you don't believe it go to my "info" page and check out my website. That is my current private collection not counting "black" rifles. I can't post it because some of those guns are for sale.

You should really know more about the person if you are going to start throwing snarky remarks their way. I don't think it reflects well for you.

Have a very nice day.
Cheers,
Richard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 450 NE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I was looking at his post count not his join date. I am just sick of progun people being anitgun. Not that I am claiming he is but his comment made it sound like it was what they were for. </div></div>

Your comment make it sound like the &#147;main or only&#148; reason for sound suppression was for shooting people not just one application for suppression.
</div></div>

Dude, you are looking through some very weird glasses if that's what you took away from my post. I was talking about the use of suppressors with high velocity bullets and the difference in their use against people vs animals.

You think I am a pro gun guy who is actually against guns??? Again, I don't even know what you are talking about? Son of a Nazi. Is that me you are referring to? I don't if you are bipolar or what but those seem to be two conflicting concepts.

I would be willing to bet that I own more guns and have owned more guns than you and your best ten friends.

If you don't believe it go to my "info" page and check out my website. That is my current private collection not counting "black" rifles. I can't post it because some of those guns are for sale.

You should really know more about the person if you are going to start throwing snarky remarks their way. I don't think it reflects well for you.

Have a very nice day.
Cheers,
Richard</div></div>

Apparently I miss-read what you were intending to say. Please explain the difference in shooting people vs animals?

Apparently I miss-read what you were intending to say. Please explain the difference in shooting people vs animals? </div></div>

In a nutshell.

There two ways to use a suppressor. With high velocity bullets and with low velocity bullets.

There are two potential uses for a suppressor. Shooting enemy combatants and shooting animals.

This gives us four scenarios and reasons behind each. (at least, not saying it can't be broken down further but to keep it simple).

Low Velocity:

1. Against enemy - low velocity: Not practical for sniper or normal combat. Has applications for special ops. See De Lisle Rifle for example (Click Here)

Effective for assassination (.22 ruger with integral suppressed barrel (for example). Totally silent but only effective for very close range.

2. Against animals. Very effective for culling or situations where you don't want to traumatize a herd. Imagine the difference between culling a deer herd with normal rifles. It doesn't take long before you can't even find a deer. Using suppressed low velocity ammo the herd is not traumatized anywhere near as much.

High Velocity:

1. Against enemy. Not effective for covert ops as the sound of the bullet still gives you away. Very effective for covering up the location of the shooter. Think of sound in terms of a stereo. Higher frequencies give you your location. That's why satellite speaker placement is critical for creating a sound stage. Heavy bass can be supplied through a separate subwoofer and placed most anywhere as the lower frequencies are not directional.

This is very effective for snipers.

2. Against animals. Per this thread, easier on the ears. In my estimation if you really want to protect your ears, use ear plugs but that's okay. That's just me.

Easier on the neighbors. That's the reason that they are mostly legal in Europe and other countries. The audible impact is reduced at distance.

Hope this helps clarify what I was saying.

P.S. This is just one guy's opinion and we can't rule out I'm not an idiot. That doesn't make me a "son of a nazi" or a "progun guy who's anti gun". Concepts I still haven't figured out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stxhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is word that Texas will in fact allow suppressors for hunting deer and other game animals within the next year. The TPWD website will open to comments about hunting with suppressors beginning on the 26th of January, and they have done research on the use of suppressors for hunting purposes in other states. I have heard that it is very likely we will in fact be able to use our suppressors for game animals in the very near future. </div></div>

This is great news! I figured it was probably around the corner.

Well here I go, offering up the dissenting opinion again.....

As far as spooking whitetail with a high energy round I just have to call BS for most of the time here, in my AO. There's been too many times to count, where my kids and I, or my friends and I, have made multiple kills at the same time.

First shooter up takes his or her shot and the other deer react but usually offer an opportunity for a second, and even a third shot. Distance to the target doesn't matter unless it's face to face and in the thick shit. In open ground it's just a matter of knowing your rifle and making the shot. The deer will do one of two things, run a little ways, stop and look around, boom; or run right up to their fallen comrade, sniff and circle, and usually stop long enough for another boom.

Three times this year netted me three kills, and my buddy three kills, him 300 Ultra, me 30-06, neither suppressed. The first was him killing an 8 point as it was following a doe into a creek bottom, range 280 yards, I killed the doe when she came back into view near the fallen buck. The second was me killing a doe at 498 yards, and him killing another doe 10 minutes later just yards from mine. The third was me killing a doe at 602 yards, she ran a small circle and fell in the same corn field, he killed the doe that was with her when it came back to sniff at mine.

We don't worry about taking shots and spooking other deer, because generally, here, it won't. Coyotes on the other hand are a totally different story. Shoot at one of them and you won't see another one for a month.