• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Deer v coyote hunting ethics

A .177 pushing 1200+FPS out of those new model break-barrel Gamo's, right to the head will kill a lot of things dead. At least those are the velocities advertised in the Cabelas catalogs. Diesel that shit with a spritz of WD-40, you can get 1400+FPS. Though I heard that is quite rough on the barrel...
You should check out the air rifle crowd. They have pcp air rifles that will shoot a .172 lead 26gr bullet over 950 FPS with “lead dust collectors” on the end that make em real quiet and completely legal. Search 17hmair and tofazu on YouTube for a video of a guy striking a squirrel right through the heart from over 100 yards away. You have guys shooting .458 440 gr. Bullets at over 950 fps and guys able to hit a 30” steel plate with a .257 bullet in a air rifle. I’m building one now in .172 to accompany my 17 rem ar for anything in too close.

You should check out the air rifle crowd. They have pcp air rifles that will shoot a .172 lead 26gr bullet over 950 FPS with “lead dust collectors” on the end that make em real quiet and completely legal. Search 17hmair and tofazu on YouTube for a video of a guy striking a squirrel right through the heart from over 100 yards away. You have guys shooting .458 440 gr. Bullets at over 950 fps and guys able to hit a 30” steel plate with a .257 bullet in a air rifle. I’m building one now in .172 to accompany my 17 rem ar for anything in too close.

Will definitely do. Thanks for the info.

440 grains at 950FPS with air? Shit that is almost 1840's Plains rifle type performance. That reservoir gotta be built like a spent nuke fuel containment vault to handle such pressure... Impressive through and through.

You know, I’d drive a Prius if someone gave it to me... right up to my off grid house and plug it in. I’d call it my mobile battery bank.

I drive a Subaru Outback. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I took it to get a 10 cubic ft wheel barrow last year. It wouldn't fit in the back of my station wagon. I was out in the parking lot pulling the wheels, then tied the rear hatch down. I was laughing when I left thinking i must have looked like a real dump hippie. Would have looked proper redneck had I pulled up and loaded it my old shit pick up.

I had Benjamin armada 22 cal PCP air rifle. That thing was awesome besides pulling over on a dirt road to pump it back for more prairie dog shooting. Quiet as a mouse fart, they don't even realize you are rolling along braining all their little hommies.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
I drive a Subaru Outback.

tenor.gif

If I'm not gonna eat it, I don't kill it. Except for mosquitoes and deer flies.

The best use for yotes down here is to shove them under a place in the fence where there's sign of crossing. Works better than adding wire, for a while anyway.

@DuneBoer @j-huskey

Y'all ever use or here about using rattlesnake for yote bait? I've heard yotes love them, but have no idea if true. I gave one a little front tractor tire love a couple hrs ago and was considering bagging him up and putting in the freezer for bait? Thoughts other than the shit it will cause if my wife finds it in the freezer?

Reactions: DuneBoer
The only good coyote is a dead coyote...View attachment 7119692

Never had a deer attack a down heifer and pull the half born calf out... just sayin...

Have had deer attack my car and cost me $3800.00....

Damn coyodeer ...
That yote must have just stepped on it before that pick was taken. The grounds not tore up.

First of all, there is no Mother Nature. There is no sentient being that spends it's time balancing predators against prey or making any other adjustments to keep the natural world in "balance". The natural world is never in balance. It is always on a teeter-totter between imbalance on one extreme or the other. There may be a moment in time where there is a balance but it is fleeting and has nothing to do with the natural world. The natural world, simply, does not give a shit.

That yote must have just stepped on it before that pick was taken. The grounds not tore up.
[/
@DuneBoer @j-huskey

Y'all ever use or here about using rattlesnake for yote bait? I've heard yotes love them, but have no idea if true. I gave one a little front tractor tire love a couple hrs ago and was considering bagging him up and putting in the freezer for bait? Thoughts other than the shit it will cause if my wife finds it in the freezer?

We use a couple of scents, skunk and beaver castor, and some ground beef, put the trap 12-15" from the bait hole, and make the bait hole look like his cousin buried it.
And what not seen in pic, 3' in front of dog is the destroyed grass, he wasnt in it long.

Never used rattle snake. Bait needs to be what they like to eat at your AO, and the attractant/cover scent needs to be resident as well.

Have been known to put traps in two concentric circles and just leave them. Then, with a very fresh road kill deer, inside the circle, catch several.

Coyote bad for cows.... dead coyote not a repeat coyote. Deer bad for cars...

Reactions: Dpp and MtnCreek
Partially true.

Depending on why shes down.

Dead coyote, good coyote.

Do you like buzzards around your cows ? Ever see them peck the eyes out of a newborn ? And rip their noses off ?

Those things aren't buzzards...if you're talking about those black headed bastards. They are actually vultures, they are from south America and ended up coming into central america and now are working their way further north. I shoot every one I see. I've lost two calves and a cow to them.

Reactions: j-huskey
Partially true.

Depending on why shes down.

Dead coyote, good coyote.

Do you like buzzards around your cows ? Ever see them peck the eyes out of a newborn ? And rip their noses off ?

Why was the calf down? Buzzards don't take them down. Calves are generally up with in a few minutes of being born. Buzzards don't show up that quick often. The end result is gruesome, but it isn't happening to healthy calves on regular basis. They are up and on before the clean up crew shows up to eat whats left.

Buzzards will kill an otherwise healthy calf or kid and fireants will blind either. I'm part of nature too and I'll kill the killers around here when I can. :)

Those things aren't buzzards...if you're talking about those black headed bastards. They are actually vultures, they are from south America and ended up coming into central america and now are working their way further north. I shoot every one I see. I've lost two calves and a cow to them.

A buzzard is a vulture, it just a back water word for Vulture. We have many different kinds of Vultures in the U.S.

Reactions: Zeroit
A buzzard is a vulture, it just a back water word for Vulture. We have many different kinds of Vultures in the U.S.

I get that, im just accustomed to Turkey vultures being called buzzards around here. There is a significant difference between the red heads and the black heads though. The black ones actually kill shit. I've witnessed them go after calves that are up and they split into two groups. One group comes in and the cow goes after them while the other group goes for the calf and vice versa. They will show you what kind of mamas your girls are if they get the chance. A good group of cows will run them off but a lone heifer has to have instincts on her side and grow up real quick if she's gonna win.

First of all, there is no Mother Nature. There is no sentient being that spends it's time balancing predators against prey or making any other adjustments to keep the natural world in "balance". The natural world is never in balance. It is always on a teeter-totter between imbalance on one extreme or the other. There may be a moment in time where there is a balance but it is fleeting and has nothing to do with the natural world. The natural world, simply, does not give a shit.

A lack of understanding does not make something a fairytale. A balance is a bad term. A system is more correct term. Many critters performing the same job, so if one ducks out another takes over. We are already live in a highly manipulated environment where many players have been removed. And many systems are manipulated by people with little to no understanding of how they work.

@DuneBoer @j-huskey

I have never used snake for bait but if it smells they would go for it I bet. The sweetest bait of all is cow placenta its like sex for them only better.

I leave you with Angus the Wooly Bastard engaged in mortal combat with the enemy. The best trapline dog I have ever had a partnership with.

I get that, im just accustomed to Turkey vultures being called buzzards around here. There is a significant difference between the red heads and the black heads though. The black ones actually kill shit. I've witnessed them go after calves that are up and they split into two groups. One group comes in and the cow goes after them while the other group goes for the calf and vice versa. They will show you what kind of mamas your girls are if they get the chance. A good group of cows will run them off but a lone heifer has to have instincts on her side and grow up real quick if she's gonna win.
I'm in Ohio last year I saw one was wondering what the hell it was we have Turkey buzzards out the wazoo not the same. Not all are black did some research they are more a bird of prey than the classic clean up crew.

Reactions: Sixfivesavage
tell me more about this wooly bastard. i’ve never heard of anyone using dog(s) to finish a trapped coyote. guys up here do run them though with hounds.

Some sets are with whats called a drag. The trap is attached to a piece of wood like a log or metal hooks constructed out of rebar. If you catch something for example in winter and it snows so there are no real tracks to follow, a trapline dog track its whereabouts. Also sometime on a set where you have the trap attached to rebar pounded into the ground a critter can sometimes dig it up or something breaks. A trapline dog can track it keep it busy until you can dispatch the critter.

Angus was also a good decoy dog when calling. Given the right place where the coyotes don't have much experience with dogs they are very useful if you have the right dog. While calling from a hidden spot the decoy dog will entice the coyote closer to you to shoot. If you have doubles or triples come into the call they get so distracted with the decoy dog they are easier to kill. Angus was a master he would bark ,act scared by the coyotes and take off running back to me. If the coyote stopped chasing he would whine and get it to chase him again.

If a coyote was in a trap however he would bark at it and keep it occupied til I could shoot it. Otherwise if I gave the word he would attack it and kill it. Every once in a while I would let him do it. Some times he would shake the coyote so violently the trap would hit him and hurt him. When the hides were prime I didn't let him do it because he would just shred shit. Good times as a young man with that dog.

Damn I need a drink of single malt.

Last edited:
Obviously a coon hunter. Walkers or colored dogs?

Haven't coon hunted in 30 years. Colored dogs? No way, I'm a racist, I'd never hunt with colored dogs.

JK. Damn a treeing Walker, hated walkers for deer hunting too.
Blue ticks for coon...always.
Beagles for deer.
And damn a fox hunter.....the tallyho kind, not the calling sniping kind.
Bastards outlawed fox trapping in NC many moons ago. They just needed better dogs. When banning trapping wasn't enough they paid big money to have yotes smuggled in to the state to run their sorry ass dogs.

Don't get me started.

.gov is going to get you for shooting their animals on the ground you rent from them

.gov is going to get you for shooting their animals on the ground you rent from them

Sounds a lot like those stories from old England where, no matter how overpopulated the woods were with deer, or how little food was there in the towns, peasants were forbidden to hunt on the "King's land". And what exactly does the "King's lands" comprise of? Anything. It was purely up to the whims of him and his nobles. Tyrants gonna tyrant...

Excellent post , some shit you will reminis about on your death bed.

Some sets are with whats called a drag. The trap is attached to a piece of wood like a log or metal hooks constructed out of rebar. If you catch something for example in winter and it snows so there are no real tracks to follow, a trapline dog track its whereabouts. Also sometime on a set where you have the trap attached to rebar pounded into the ground a critter can sometimes dig it up or something breaks. A trapline dog can track it keep it busy until you can dispatch the critter.

Angus was also a good decoy dog when calling. Given the right place where the coyotes don't have much experience with dogs they are very useful if you have the right dog. While calling from a hidden spot the decoy dog will entice the coyote closer to you to shoot. If you have doubles or triples come into the call they get so distracted with the decoy dog they are easier to kill. Angus was a master he would bark ,act scared by the coyotes and take off running back to me. If the coyote stopped chasing he would whine and get it to chase him again.

If a coyote was in a trap however he would bark at it and keep it occupied til I could shoot it. Otherwise if I gave the word he would attack it and kill it. Every once in a while I would let him do it. Some times he would shake the coyote so violently the trap would hit him and hurt him. When the hides were prime I didn't let him do it because he would just shred shit. Good times as a you man with that dog.

Damn I need a drink of single malt.

Reactions: DuneBoer
Sounds a lot like those stories from old England where, no matter how overpopulated the woods were with deer, or how little food was there in the towns, peasants were forbidden to hunt on the "King's land". And what exactly does the "King's lands" comprise of? Anything. It was purely up to the whims of him and his nobles. Tyrants gonna tyrant...

Not quite.
ALL the deer were the king's deer, didn't matter where they were. Peasants could do a limited bit of hunting, but NEVER the king's deer.
My wife got me straight on that.

I shoot coyotes because the chicken farmers want them gone. Unfortunately hunting coyote only makes for more coyotes. I read some good research about having to kill 70%+ of the local population to make a dent. However, I enjoy a good day in the woods, regardless. I just purchased a predator light for my rifle. In PA we can't use NV or thermals for hunting predators at night.
farm.jpg

Fuck coyotes, buzzards & crows got to eat too when the Bald eagles are done.
Fuck wolves too SSS, worms also have to eat.
IMG_20161205_125406_793.jpg
IMG_20161205_125406_793.jpg
Makes the world a cleaner place for you greenies!?

Reactions: The Durk
Is this like some passage of newbie rights or sumpthin ?
A frat house hazing ?

Bringing back to life a 5 YEARS OLD dead thread.

Impressive......obviously you had to try and it probably didn't come easy.
Kudos my nigga, kudos.
Just another spammer editing in a link into a quoted post.

Yotees eat peopels dogs, dont go down that path, you might get a public shaming and flogging, not the good flogging either.
If your dog cant hold its own against a coyote than its not a dog, its a genetic abomination... deserves to be eatin.

I been known to trap a few foxes too. Paid for my first car with fur money.
View attachment 7119955
I use to trap and hunt fur from my early teens up into my early twenties. Grey Fox were the most predictable and easy to catch. They have daily patterns and routines they follow like clockwork.

I now feed them and they can be expected to be in the same spot at the same time every day in the yard. Grey Fox are the best parents Ive eve seen, taking BBQ scraps and food to the den before eating themselves. The father will then bring the kits up to the deck to teach them how the system works and where to sit for food. I've supported many generations, their patterns passed down with a fox sitting in the same spot his or her great great great grandparents once sat. I'll never kill another animal so some fag can parade around in it's fur.

Reactions: Baron23
I use to trap and hunt fur from my early teens up into my early twenties. Grey Fox were the most predictable and easy to catch. They have daily patterns and routines they follow like clockwork.

I now feed them and they can be expected to be in the same spot at the same time every day in the yard. Grey Fox are the best parents Ive eve seen, taking BBQ scraps and food to the den before eating themselves. The father will then bring the kits up to the deck to teach them how the system works and where to sit for food. I've supported many generations, their patterns passed down with a fox sitting in the same spot his or her great great great grandparents once sat. I'll never kill another animal so some fag can parade around in it's fur.

I get it. Ive got a red fox that raises a litter every year in an old armadillo den just 50yards from my back door. Ive got the yard cut off with cattle panels so the dogs can't get to them. We enjoy watching them....but we don't feed them.
Back in the 40s in this country, having foxes around was dangerous due to rabies. Its getting bad again because there is no longer a fur market...because of PETA assholes.
Proper balance must be maintained. Or mother nature is far more brutal than man could ever be. Rabies is a very brutal death.

I respect your stance, I share it to some point. Fags aren't big fur wearing folks.
Most fur today in this country is worn by folks who are intimately connected to the land and their food, and have far more respect and love for animals than some PETA vegan cunt.