• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Deer vs 338 Lapua Improved

Re: Deer vs 338 Lapua Improved

thats about as quick as it gets

"man she only ran 30 yards and then dropped dead" barely had to track her at all
laugh.gif

Not so sure how you're suppose to attach the tag to the ear after that one...

I made that mistake on a buck out west. 180gr barnes x-bullet. Altitude changed point of impact. Drilled it in eye socket and launched it 10ft and snapped off left antler. Launched that 30 yds back.

"One shot, down in a heep!"

That's so bad ass. I took my Lapua but didn't get a chance at one. I wondered what it would be like.

Well done. I managed to shoot my second deer in the head when I was 16 and that is the only shot I'll take now. No spoiled meat, no running.

It appears as though it "might" have been instant incapacitation... appears to be anyways.

D.R.T. (dead right there)

DK

$5 deer killer ...
laugh.gif

Good God!! If you hit it anywhere else you would have lost 50% of the meat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did ya hit it? </div></div>

Foot.

Wussies. I shot one a few years ago at about 45 yards with a 45-70 400 grain lead split nose cast bullet at about 1800 fps. No head. Repeat, NO head left. That .338 is a Wussie. (Good shot by the way!)

What was the distance?

And boy that sure was a HEAD SHOT!
laugh.gif

Aron-

"Seems like you were out to prove a point more than hunt. Would be a waste had you hit it anywhere else."

Please elaborate? I spent about 32 hours over two weekends hunting, passed on multiple smaller bucks, and shot this for some meat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Seems like you were out to prove a point more than hunt. Would be a waste had you hit it anywhere else."

Please elaborate? I spent about 32 hours over two weekends hunting, passed on multiple smaller bucks, and shot this for some meat.</div></div>

Hey, don't argue! Bend over and take it like a man. You're clearly a douche bag that just does this to stoke his ego.

(sarcasm button on, in case that wasn't clear)

Awesome shooting! I'm out of the country this hunting season and live through ya'll gory pics like this. Thanks for sharing.

-Deadly Punk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huber tuber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like you were out to prove a point more than hunt. Would be a waste had you hit it anywhere else. </div></div>

I dunno how you boys in San Jose, California do it, but in the rest of the country we tend to hit where we aim.

cuts down on skinning and grinding nice shot!!!! I'll take a 1/4 pounder with cheese ( minus hair and bone frags) PLEASE!!!!!

That deer has a splitting headace pass the asprin LOL!!!

Hmmmmm looks like you just grazed her, mite need to give her another just in case:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly_punk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Seems like you were out to prove a point more than hunt. Would be a waste had you hit it anywhere else."

Please elaborate? I spent about 32 hours over two weekends hunting, passed on multiple smaller bucks, and shot this for some meat.</div></div>
</div></div>

LOL, ok let me explain. My point is that .338 is a high energy round designed for long range sniping (AI and Sako) it's meant for killing personal who are wearing body armor at over a thousand yards, or as well puncturing engine blocks or missile skins. It's not the best hunting round unless your going after giant game perhaps, but then there are far better rounds for that as well. .338 is just very damaging when it hits, usually blowing things up. It's similar to hunting with a .50cal (not quite but close.) Any study of the physics of a good hunting cartridge will point to .308, 270, .300 win mag at most. This is as well overlooking the obvious, a .338 rifle is about twice as heavy as any rifle that is built around a good deer hunting cartridge, what hunter would want to carry a 14lb rifle around all day (not I)

A body shot at 100 yards with a .338 would have ruined a lot of good meat, that was the the end point I was making. So hence "a waste."

Some people just like to see things explode. Perhaps your on to something? Maybe they should have a thread for pictures of animals that have been hunted with RPG's and high explosives.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huber tuber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly_punk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tyler Kemp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Seems like you were out to prove a point more than hunt. Would be a waste had you hit it anywhere else."

</div></div>

LOL, ok let me explain. My point is that .338 is a high energy round designed for long range sniping (AI and Sako) it's meant for killing personal who are wearing body armor at over a thousand yards, or as well puncturing engine blocks or missile skins. It's not the best hunting round unless your going after giant game perhaps, but then there are far better rounds for that as well. .338 is just very damaging when it hits, usually blowing things up. It's similar to hunting with a .50cal (not quite but close.) Any study of the physics of a good hunting cartridge will point to .308, 270, .300 win mag at most. This is as well overlooking the obvious, a .338 rifle is about twice as heavy as any rifle that is built around a good deer hunting cartridge, what hunter would want to carry a 14lb rifle around all day (not I)

A body shot at 100 yards with a .338 would have ruined a lot of good meat, that was the the end point I was making. So hence "a waste."

</div></div>

That's why he made a head shot, because he was taking it for meat. Who said he carried it around like a spot and stalk hunt, versus moving to various spots and just setting in? Who says he ain't able to do so without any great discomfort, even if it was constant walking? (obviously he managed without an IV in the arm and a "where is Tyler Kemp?" thread) Who said the .338LM has to be used for sniping "personal"[sic] at 1k yards?

Why all the questions, you might ask? Because you seem to have all the answers.

Not knockin ya just curious, who thinks to grab the 338 out of the safe on opening morning, in missouri no less?