• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Defense Pistol for Mom

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
My liberal Mom has determined that she needs a handgun in case she has to defend herself in her home. A person with a history of mental illness and a propensity for violent behavior has been menacing her & her neighbors the last few nights, and she can't believe that the police won't do anything about it. I am going to teach her some basic shooting safety & defensive pistol techniques. Mom is 60 & kind of frail, so I am thinking a small revolver in a light caliber, however, I don't want to rule out autos if there are some that are less prone to jamming when used by someone with a limp wrist. Suggestions for caliber & platform will be greatly appreciated!

Re: Defense Pistol for Mom

My wife has a bedside Glock 35 (my USPSA backup pistol) with an LED rail light. She likes to call it a flashlight that goes bang. Has 15 soft shooting frangible rounds, that she's practiced with an knows what to expect recoil wise.
She also knows (I'm not there for some reason) if she can't get it done with 15 rounds then it is probably way beyond her capacity anyway. Even if she puts one in the wall, the perp will know she ready for a confrontation.
Not likely though - she can shoot a dinner plate size group at 50', dim light conditions and flashlight ON!
We have the Castle Doctrine in TN, she'd never chase em, however, will defend our home.

PS I used to live in Beaverton, OR was a nice place back then (75-90), way to liberal now.

A nice S&W revolver in .38 special is a good tool for the individual who does not have great dexterity or mechanical prowess. Lots of people were stopped with the .38 and it's not too intimidating for novices to learn to shoot effectively: also not terribly expensive when one considers the multitude of serviceable second hand duty weapons available.

I bought my mom (57 years old) a kahr cw9 and some federal low rocoil hollow points. Even when her arthritis acts up she is still able to work the slide and shoot the pistol with zero issues.

I'm not sure about a revolver for a 'frail' women. My daughter doesn't have the hand strength for the DA pull. My wife has the strength but hands are small. A 5 shot or 6 shot snub might work as grip is small -if she has the strength. My carry guns are Glock but I've seen too many people induce jams by limpwristing them. For a nonshooter 32, 38 spl., 9mm, 40 s&w for cal. Just because she takes 1 or 2 hrs instruction will not make her a shooter. Mindset is the most important thing, skill- 2nd , cal& effectiveness of ammo- 3rd, and platform the least important so long as it 'fits', is reliable, and is user friendly to her. That's my spin on the subject. My daughter uses a 32 Berreta Tomcat. That's not my choice but it is hers.

david

I agree with queequeg on the 38 revolver, simple to use, pretty accurate and jamming is not an issue. I have a snub Ruger SP101 357 Mag that the wife keeps in her dresser for when I'm working night shift. Pretty snappy with full house 357's, usually keep it stoked with 38 +P's for her with a full speedloader beside it just in case she needs a reload....or if she can't get to the AR first LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thumper49802</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SA 1911 Operator... perfect for stopping unwanted company. </div></div>

for a frail 60 year old?I'm not sure I would do this but to each his own.

What about a 500 S&W or a 50 AE desert eagle.
grin.gif

A 357 with 38's in it would seem more feasible but that's just me.

+1 on a .38 Special. It's more than capable of stopping a threat while controling recoil. Many shooters of slight build or strength have a hard time racking the slide on an auto. A hammerless .38 with Crimson Trace grips is a winner for those of smaller build and limited weapons training.

Well I just got back from Mom's, and I think she is set up pretty good for the next few days until I can take her out for some range time. Right now, the only pistols I can loan her are SigP220, G20, & G27. I chose the P220 because My sister said it wasn't as snappy & easier to control. I spent about two hours with her going over the function of the gun, where to go in the house, how to hold & aim. I simulated recoil by shoving the gun toward her so she would have some idea what to expect & that insufficient support could cause the gun to jam(limp wristing). She spent a half hour racking the slide back with her finger away from the trigger & aiming, and when she was ready, we used a dummy round so she could be sure that she was getting the slide back far enough. After a steady repetition of all of the above, we sat & I talked to her about the mental aspects of defending yourself with a pistol. I wanted to make sure that she knew the gun could just as well be used against her, and that it was better to lay silently waiting for a target to present itself than to broadcast her location & the fact that she had a gun. Friday we will go pick out a gun better suited to her, and will go for our first range session & possibly some professional instruction.If you guys can think of anything I left out, or I need to modify, feel free. Thanks for the input!

Honestly any experienced shooter with a handgun is leaving themselves at a disadvantage for home defense not to mention an inexperienced shooter. Sure I have a glock 17 with white light by the bed but only for if the 11-87 goes down or runs dry!

I will never understand why people suggest all females carry a 2".38special when they have no desire to carry it outside the home? A 2" .38 is a bug not a purpose built home defense gun, sure I feel safe with one if I need a little gun out on the town but I have a lot of training in general and a lot of rounds down range with it. Its one of the best carry guns in hammerless form for a girls purse but its a hell of a compromise for street use and a HD gun it is not. Now a 4" full frame .38 is different and for a handgun makes a nice choice but still handguns are for convenience of size not HD.

I, as always, would suggest a long gun unless she has some impairment that would prevent it? A 20ga loaded with 00 with a youth stock and short 16" tube can be controlled by anyone with very little training, and in an autoloader is pretty user freindly. As you said its not wise to clear your own home no matter how much high speed operator experience you have, quite simply short of a multi person team thats a bad plan and even then your at a disadvantage.
Safely waiting in your bug out location you do not have to worry about the length of a long gun, or the disarming issues I would worry about with someone with a questionable mind set. A 20ga with 00 will have more stopping power then anything she can control in a handgun and center mass shots are easier to come by with a pattern. Dont worry about finding sight picture in the dark and the extended length makes lining up a shot easy for the unexperienced. Recoil on a 20ga is not bad at all, quite simply you have more control being able to get more weight and body behind the gun, of course if properly fitted and held.
I have a 14yo neice that is under 100lbs and shoots one as well as I can in a static situation. I also think white light is a must for any HD gun but that is another subject all together!

+1 on I gave my Mom a 2" .357 loaded with .38s

+1 on a 20ga with OO buck if she lives alone or can understand where others are at in the home

I personally bought my mom a M&P Full size in 9mm... Figured it was only $399 new plus two free mags. So why not.

Took her out to the range last weekend with it, she was a good shot but man did she have a hell of a time loading mags and racking the slide. Been thinking about getting her a ladysmith .38 but I dunno....

I'd go with the 20ga. and 00 buck for a number of reasons.

Much easier to hit a target for inexperienced shooters and more likely to instill confidence in your Mom.

The sound of a pump action chambering a round will likely stop an intruder in their tracks, thereby decreasing the chances that your Mom will actually have to use the firearm to destroy someone.

You indicate that she is liberal, so I'm going to go out on a limb and I'm guessing she doesn't have much firearms experience.

I'd stay away from autoloading pistols if she isn't experienced and isn't willing to spend some time training / becoming familiar. Revolvers are inherintly less complicated to operate and more reliable. If you go with a pistol, I think the idea of a .357 with a .38 load is a good one.

Take her to a range and make sure she can can safely operate whatever you buy her. Her confidence will go up, and she'll be less likely to have an accident if/when she needs it.

A) Semi-auto
Glock 26
Generic 9mm FMJ with <span style="text-decoration: underline">ALOT</span> of practice.
147gr +P+ for defense
Leave as is

B) Revolver
Smith and Wesson J frame
.38 with <span style="text-decoration: underline">ALOT</span> of practice
.357 Mag for defense
Replace grip with a nice squishy recoil absorbing one (Hogue, Pach, etc)

Notice the <span style="text-decoration: underline">ALOT</span> there.

My mom is in her 60's as well and packs either a G29 with full house 10mm loads, or a .357 Mag snubby. She's not a tiny little grandmother either, but she's a peanut. She did however do backflips when I was the one that taught her how to shoot. I suggest you do the same. Know in the back of your mind that she'll listen 100 times better and more intently to you, because you are her son, than some generic pistol instructor that only wants to do his "job". Good luck, and STAY INVOLVED THE ENTIRE WAY.

Jack

I gave my mom a H&P MP9 with 2 30 round mags and a good light. Usually she gets one or two hits out of the whole mag. But it scares the life out of me watching it so I know a bad guy will run.

j/k I gave her her own 20ga. beretta shotgun that I got for safe keeping 6 or 7 years ago. My dad has a Stoger coach gun in 12ga. I think between the two of them they might manage to perforate a bad guy.

As someone else stated, the Ruger SP101 is a good idea.

Load it with some lighter 357's or 38s that she isn't afraid to handle and will practice with.

A light 38 special is still going to be a force to be reckoned with. Remember, a hit with a 22 is better than a miss with a 10mm.

If she's only going to keep it in the house, then a lighter guage shotgun with 00's in it are a good idea. Youth stock, 18" barrel (remember, it's 18+ on a shotty, not 16 like a rifle) and an extended mag is just the trick.

I don't like the idea of an autoloader because of the unaimed "bang bang bang bang click" whereas the pump still shoots very fast but reminds the person to put a little more thought into placement.

I like the Idea of her using a shotty instead, but all I have are 12ga. The Saiga 12 conversion w/10 rd mag I just put together would do nicely, if the very sight of it didn't frighten the living piss out of her. She is very enthusiastic about learning to shoot, & may entertain the notion of a youth size pump 20ga. Something else to consider is the fact that she may decide to get her concealed carry & cash is tight. Thanks again for the input.

Weak hands and low grip strength being your restrictions.. Most Smith and Wesson revolvers can be cleaned up on the trigger to make it easier for a weaker handed person to opperate( Just make sure it's by a very competent gunsmith since you can go to light on the trigger and it may not have enough energy to strike the primer with enough strength).. i highly recommend a lazer grip to aid in aiming in the heat of the moment. I really like the idea of a double barrel 20 gauge loaded with buck shot. For an auto, I would lean towards an H&K P-30, it has a light rail and requires very little grip strength in order to chamber a round and it has the smallest grip that can be tailored to fit most hands since it has multiple side and rear back straps for a great grab.....And with the X-400 110 lumens of led and a high quality lazer to boot....She be jamming but she will need to practice with whatever she decides to use.. I would try to find an indoor range that rents weapons in order to find something that she feals comfortable with... Some Concealed carry instructors might be willing to pull out some of their weapons for an ammo fee to try out some of their weapons.....They are there to help.....good Luck..SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If she's only going to keep it in the house, then a lighter guage shotgun with 00's in it are a good idea. Youth stock, 18" barrel (remember, it's 18+ on a shotty, not 16 like a rifle) and an extended mag is just the trick.

I don't like the idea of an autoloader because of the unaimed "bang bang bang bang click" whereas the pump still shoots very fast but reminds the person to put a little more thought into placement. </div></div>

Bohem thanks for the OAL barrel correction as I miss typed.

My reason for recommending an auto was not the speed issue. I have rarely seen a circumstance where rapid fire from a shotgun was needed or helped in any situation. My reason behind it is a less experienced shooter in a time of overwhelming stress can very easily short stroke a pump gun, which could jam and render it useless, that is the main reasons for an autoloader IMO. The other advantage would be someone with less manual dexterity as some older people have and the reach issue for some but the overwhelming issue is an autoloader is simply safety and trigger. I think running the gun dry with a 20ga. with extended tube (8 rounds?) is a possibility but highly unlikely and as tactical reloads are most likely out of the question for any action she will have to learn to make every one count and work with the ammo in the gun. Just my thinking for what its worth
smile.gif

After my step-father passed away, my mother wanted to get a gun for home defense. We tried a number of guns and calibers, but she was most comfortable with a 4" Ruger GP-100 loaded with .38s. The heavy framed revolver soaked up most of the recoil and it's as simple as point and shoot. She liked how easy it was to check if it was loaded and make it safe without worrying about racking slides, press checks, or "extra" safety controls. I'm paraphrasing of course, but that was how she came around to choosing the Ruger. I'm happy with her selection.

I agree with straw dog, shotgun, preferably semi-auto. for carry, how about a .410 judge with 00 bucksot?

I like the idea of the coach gun.
don't have much experience with handguns but I was very impressed by the handling, accuracy and ease of shooting the CZ83 in 380 auto that my brother in law bought. Out of the box I managed the first 12 shots into a 5" circle at 25yds.
Only weighs about 750 grams. We fired about 300 rounds that day without a jam.
edi