• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Defiance or Stiller action for Left hand 338 Lapua

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
I'm undecided between Defiance and Stiller actions for my upcoming 338 Lapua magnum build. I'm left handed so the I have limited options but have read good reviews of both actions. Any advantages of one over the other?? I don't see a 20MOA base listed on Defiance site.

Alan

Re: Defiance or Stiller action for Left hand 338 Lapua

You can't do wrong with either. They both make great actions.

Out of the 2, I'd go <span style="font-weight: bold">Defiance all the way!!!</span>

I tried a Stiller Predator once - was VERY disappointed with this so called "custom" action. Bolt was very sloppy, scope base mounting holes were drilled out of alignment, & overall build quality just wasn't there!!!

Stiller tac 338 with a 20 moa base is the way to go

both great but i think the defiance is alittle smoother. it is a win win really.

Ive owned both, Defiance is 10x better. Defiance,Bat or Surgeon is the only way to go IMO.

I can't say I know much about the Defiance actions.....but I sure like my Stiller Viper DP. Its strong, smooth, and accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm undecided between Defiance and Stiller actions for my upcoming 338 Lapua magnum build. I'm left handed so the I have limited options but have read good reviews of both actions. Any advantages of one over the other?? <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">I don't see a 20MOA base listed on Defiance site.</span></span>Alan </div></div>

Glen makes the 20moa rails for his receivers now. One piece bolt as well.

i have to agree with mike bush 110%, glen can build you just about any combo you could conceive. they have stellar customer service and as many of the builders on this site will testify...they just consistently shoot better, look sharper and extract cases easier.

Both make great product, but I think Defiance offers more custom options: ejection port size, magazine cut style, extractor type, stainless or CM, firing pin size. Plus they use one-piece bolts. As mentioned, Defiance does make rails for the action that are double pinned and fit perfectly. I've got three Defiance actions and all of them are flawless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm undecided between Defiance and Stiller actions for my upcoming 338 Lapua magnum build. I'm left handed so the I have limited options but have read good reviews of both actions. Any advantages of one over the other?? I don't see a 20MOA base listed on Defiance site.

Alan </div></div>

The Stiller is a good action, the Defiance is a great action. Although reliable and accurate rifles have been built on both, the Defiance has the advantages of feeding from AW and AICS mags interchangably, better primary extraction, one-piece bolt (although Stiller is going to a one-piece at some point), etc., etc. In addition, Defiance can make any configuration you're looking for. If you're looking for "usual" features, go Stiller, if you're looking for "advanced" features, go Defiance. </div></div>
Defiance does not make "any configuration" you want....I'm still waiting on my integral rail/recoil lug action from him. Have you bugged him lately? :)

Seriously both stiller and defiance make awesome actions, this is a completely win win situation. Not only do they both make great actions but they also both have great customer service. I have had conversations with jerry and glem and they are both a pleasure to work with.

I'm not sure about all the he said she said BS but I do know I absolutly love my Stiller Predator. I have not but good to say about all of the work they have done for me in the past and I will continue to use them. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Well Jerry, I havent ever heard Glen make one off color coment about you or your products. I now have heard what sounds to me like a desperate attempt to save face. I had planned on ordering a few(6) Cheytac actions from you(even though they are ugly as sin) Just because I cannot keep people waiting much longer on a new and superior action to come out. Now I am going to tell them I will now deal with you. Glen doesnt worry about getting on the internet and talking unless its necessary. It has only been necessary in the past because of people like mike or myself sticking up for him or singing his praises. The fact is you cant machine a perfect mating surface in two seperate places on two seperate machines, with different tooling and such. Just not that easy. As for OEM..... Yep you can pump it out. Its easy when others are making parts for you. I think that is great for you. Just remember not everyone will want to wear the OEM badge. Some quality and custom are better labels.

Jason

Wow.........a simple question from the OP and this thread blows up.

I'll add this and speak only from personal experience.

When the time came for me to have a signature receiver built I called around and spoke with several makers. At that time I only owned one custom receiver. It was a SS Viper that Speedy at SG&Y ordered for me for a 6BR build I had going prior to me building rifles. After speaking with several makers to include SPF and Defiance Machine, I realized that Glen and Lisa at Defiance Machine was going to be my go to maker. I had dealt with Glen once while he was Phoenix Machine and really liked his attitude and stance on things. Since I started doing business with Defiance Machine, Glen and Lisa have done nothing but bend over backwards to accommodate me.

I’ve made changes to accommodate AW magazines, pin hole locations, scope rails, blind holes etc, etc, etc. Glen has never complained.....to me anyway
wink.gif
I’ve built on Jerry’s receivers to include the TAC30, TAC300, Predator & SS Viper. They are all very nice receivers and the rifles shot extremely well. My personal BR rifle is still on that SS Viper but in 6 Dasher now. It hammers. Simply put, Defiance Machine made exactly what I wanted while maintaining a high level of quality. When I call, I get Glen on the phone. If I need anything, Glen is more than willing to accommodate me. If I call on a Saturday to just shoot the shit or talk business small talk, he does that too.

To date, rifles I’ve built with the new signature receiver are absolute hammers. I couldn’t be more satisfied with the choices I’ve made.

I’m sure the other companies are very good and try to meet the needs of their client base but, for me, Defiance Machine was the obvious choice.

BTW, the bolts from Defiance Machine are not castings nor are they forgings.

here is some new stuff from Defiance Machine that came out of a tube gun project. Like it has been said a few times before. They really can build about anything you could ever want
grin.gif
[ link

Wow, what a trainwreck. I think there should be a rule that manufacturers are not allowed to participate in threads where opinions are asked about their products. Following that rule might make you look better too...

You can definitely feel the love.
laugh.gif

I have had both and think they are both excellent receivers. It's nice to have so many choices. Stiller has been very supportive of the hide with all of the group buys they conduct. Dollar for dollar, a Stiller receiver from the group buy can't be touched by anything. But those Defiance receivers sure are smooth! Like I said, it's nice to have choices.