• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defiance Ruckus

GREAT! I'm really glad to see Defiance is stepping up to the plate and getting actions out for the market that is demanding prefits.

We'll do prefits as well. I'm looking to get my hands on the action or tenon print as we speak.
If we can get a print today we'll have prefits available for built-to-order inside of a week and on-the-shelf options will be before the end of January.

Anyone interested in putting together a group buy for barrels on it we can discuss, I don't want to completely hijack the thread though.
Also interested! Looking to get a Defiance and proof barrel within the next two months.

Also interested in the Ruckus for a long action platform. When ordering this is a black nitrided coating available from the factory or is it best done independently from Defiance?

Also interested in the Ruckus for a long action platform. When ordering this is a black nitrided coating available from the factory or is it best done independently from Defiance?

Defiance has a vendor that they use for their nitriding. I can't recall who the vendor is, but they do good work and haven't seen any complaints or issues.

The fact that Defiance has a vendor picked out that they trust to send their actions to is good enough for me. My most recent Defiance was ordered with polished raceways and a DLC finish, which was done through Defiance and their approved vendor. Turned out awesome.

Reactions: Fylamaw
Defiance has a vendor that they use for their nitriding. I can't recall who the vendor is, but they do good work and haven't seen any complaints or issues.

The fact that Defiance has a vendor picked out that they trust to send their actions to is good enough for me. My most recent Defiance was ordered with polished raceways and a DLC finish, which was done through Defiance and their approved vendor. Turned out awesome.

Good info and thank you.

Defiance no longer offers DLC, just nitriding...that, as stated above is outsourced to a tried and true vendor. They used to offer DLC as well, but not sure when they stopped.

If you want to use DLC, they recommend (as do many others) Club Custom Guns....http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html

ZY

Reactions: bjay
Defiance no longer offers DLC, just nitriding...that, as stated above is outsourced to a tried and true vendor. They used to offer DLC as well, but not sure when they stopped.

If you want to use DLC, they recommend (as do many others) Club Custom Guns....http://www.jabuie.com/ionbond.html

ZY
Yup chad is good to go

ZY

Interesting, did not know that they stopped providing DLC as an option.

Defiance does offer DLC as an option. Its just out sourced like the previous poster stated.

Interesting...Tuesday when I ordered an action, they told me they no longer do....

Defiance released a new action today! This has me scratching my head a bit. Why is it $100 less than the deviant with the same features and added precision to the bolt? Anyone have any thoughts/insight?

nice. thanks for sharing. Will definitely look into that for my next build.

Reactions: NorthWesterner
Interesting...Tuesday when I ordered an action, they told me they no longer do....
Also noticed a few months back that the FAQ on their site was updated to state only nitride as an available coating option after it had previously said DLC as the recommended coating option. I didn't bother to ask since I was ordering a raw stainless action at the time. I wonder if they may have stopped offering it due to actions going back for coating issues. The last action that I got from Defiance with DLC had to go back due to contaminants causing the coating not to take in a few spots.

Also noticed a few months back that the FAQ on their site was updated to state only nitride as an available coating option after it had previously said DLC as the recommended coating option. I didn't bother to ask since I was ordering a raw stainless action at the time. I wonder if they may have stopped offering it due to actions going back for coating issues. The last action that I got from Defiance with DLC had to go back due to contaminants causing the coating not to take in a few spots.

Dlc coating is close to 400 complete action
Vs. Niride 120 +- not everyone buying the extra cost and people feel the price diff isn't worthed..ive seen dlc'd action in the market that wont move..

I'm excited as to what shot show will reveal this year. If its anything like Defiance I'm definitely going bankrupt this year...

Sorry guys, for some reason I never received any notification for the thread, and I stepped away for the Holidays.

Yes, we offer nitriding, but it's done through an outside vendor, and it does increase the lead time.

Hey @Defiance Machine, is DLC still an option on your actions?

At the moment we are no longer offering DLC. The lead time on the vendor we were using was simply taking far too long, and it created issues. We now recommend that if people want to have DLC done, they send it to the vendor after they've taken possession.

Reactions: bjay

There was a brief issue with our vendor and a couple actions, that we immediately addressed once we were made aware.

Reactions: Gunfighter716
At the moment we are no longer offering DLC. The lead time on the vendor we were using was simply taking far too long, and it created issues. We now recommend that if people want to have DLC done, they send it to the vendor after they've taken possession.
Who is the vendor that does the DLC?

Sorry guys, for some reason I never received any notification for the thread, and I stepped away for the Holidays.

Yes, we offer nitriding, but it's done through an outside vendor, and it does increase the lead time.

‘As I mentioned in the PM, Defiance is at the top of the list and I’m going to need a long action with a magnum bolt.....and perhaps a spare?

My 2020 plans include building another, but lighter, 6.5PRC. The Rebel Sheep Port, GA Hunter, and Hunter are at the top of my list for an action to base this off. May have to rethink that with the intro of the Ruckus. I'm a little skeptical about the loading/ejection port configuration. It appears somewhat 'enclosed' which in my experience hinders top loading w/BDL style bottom metal. My current 6.5PRC was built on a competitor's action that is similar. While it was advertised as being suitable for use with BDL-style bottom metal or AICS bottom metal/mags, I found that loading the 6.5PRC cartridge was a real challenge when set up to use BDL bottom metal. The first round wasn't too dificult. Loading the 2nd and 3rd round was way more challenging. I ended up going to M5 DBM and AICS mags. I'll wait to see if the other configurations of the Ruckus offer a more open loading/ejection port and go from there before I pull the trigger on an action.

Reactions: Defiance Machine
My 2020 plans include building another, but lighter, 6.5PRC. The Rebel Sheep Port, GA Hunter, and Hunter are at the top of my list for an action to base this off. May have to rethink that with the intro of the Ruckus. I'm a little skeptical about the loading/ejection port configuration. It appears somewhat 'enclosed' which in my experience hinders top loading w/BDL style bottom metal. My current 6.5PRC was built on a competitor's action that is similar. While it was advertised as being suitable for use with BDL-style bottom metal or AICS bottom metal/mags, I found that loading the 6.5PRC cartridge was a real challenge when set up to use BDL bottom metal. The first round wasn't too dificult. Loading the 2nd and 3rd round was way more challenging. I ended up going to M5 DBM and AICS mags. I'll wait to see if the other configurations of the Ruckus offer a more open loading/ejection port and go from there before I pull the trigger on an action.
Ck into HS Precision Gen 2 unless your set on running a BDL floorplate.

Primary purpose in running BDL style bottom metal is weight.

Reactions: BCX
OZ, add up i know. Can be offset w a Proof CF and Titanium action, Manners 100% CF

Primary purpose in running BDL style bottom metal is weight.
HS weight w mag is .60lb i believe. Whats the BDL weight w spring and follower? I really never compared them.

HS weight w mag is .60lb i believe. Whats the BDL weight w spring and follower? I really never compared them.

Not sure what the difference is. Haven't weighed the BDL components. I just 'assumed' that it would lighter. We all know what 'assume' means . . . . .

OZ, add up i know. Can be offset w a Proof CF and Titanium action, Manners 100% CF

Proof bbl and a CF stock are in the plans for the 2020 build. Probably not a Manners, unless I find one in-stock or in the classifieds. Not waiting til eternity for a Manners. Did it once - never again. I see where Proof is offering there stocks. IIRC, Stocky's is also handling them. May be worth looking into.

Reactions: BCX
I lucked out last week. Found the stock i was looking for in Manner's store. Just have to ck everyday.

The ports on the Ruckus will be the same as the Deviant, and we will offer it in the same configurations as the Deviant Hunter, GA Hunter, etc (no Elite at this time). That said, you can also order the Ruckus in the XM length, and that will increase the port size slightly, and with a GA Hunter configuration you should have no issues loading a BDL setup. Plus, with the XM you can load up to 3.2-3.25 COAL dependent on the mag you use, which is better for loading the longer pills and maximizing the 6.5 PRC.

Plus, with the XM you can load up to 3.2-3.25 COAL dependent on the mag you use, which is better for loading the longer pills and maximizing the 6.5 PRC.

Will the the Ruckus be available, or can it be ordered with the Wyatt's cut? I'm not 100% up to speed on the XM action. I understand that it allows for a longer COAL, but am confused/uninformed as to the stock inlet requirements,, i.e. will it fit in a 700 SA inletted stock?

Reactions: Chesapeake
Will the the Ruckus be available, or can it be ordered with the Wyatt's cut? I'm not 100% up to speed on the XM action. I understand that it allows for a longer COAL, but am confused/uninformed as to the stock inlet requirements,, i.e. will it fit in a 700 SA inletted stock?

As BCX stated, the XM is not the same as the SA, and you'll need a stock/chassis specifically inlet for the XM.

Reactions: WildMack
As BCX stated, the XM is not the same as the SA, and you'll need a stock/chassis specifically inlet for the XM.
And for this reason, I'd opt for an action with the Wyatt's cut that'd fit in one of my existing SA stocks.

@Defiance Machine

Do the new Ruckus and Tenacity (2.0) share the same dimensions regarding headspace?
Basically, will a Ruckus prefit barrel work with a Tenacity (2.0) action?

@Defiance Machine

Do the new Ruckus and Tenacity (2.0) share the same dimensions regarding headspace?
Basically, will a Ruckus prefit barrel work with a Tenacity (2.0) action?

Yes, the headspace should be almost identical; HOWEVER, we still highly recommend if you choose to use pre-fit barrels, especially one designed originally for another, you should only do so if final fit up is done by a reputable gunsmith to insure proper headspace and fit.

As some have already noted, with the development of our newer bolt design that you've seen already on the Tenacity and the Elite, we are able to achieve the same desired quality but with fewer steps and less waste. We also won't be offering the Ruckus with quite as many possible customizations as our flagship Deviant. With some new machines, fewer steps, and less variations between models, we're able to offer a great action at a slightly reduced cost, with the tolerances everyone wants.
So does the Ruckus and Tenacity have the cone bolt and blade ejector?

So does the Ruckus and Tenacity have the cone bolt and blade ejector?

As we stated earlier in the description, and on the website, at the moment the Ruckus is not available with a 3-position safety or the controlled round feature with either a claw extractor or a blade ejector. The new Tenacity does not have a cone bolt face or CRF feature either, and before it gets brought up again, yes, we are aware that the picture used for the release had a barrel in it with a cone breach. The person who took the photo did it next to a barrel that was being prepped for a BadRock action, and in our excitement to do the product release we failed to catch it.

I didn't realize they had an action with mechanical ejection.
I think Tacticaldilhole pretty much nailed it though, better machinery with less steps in the process holding tighter tolerances.
I have a couple of Kelbly Tac actions and real like them but have been wanting a Defiance for a while now any of them I'm sure would put a smile on my face.
Lots of great choices from many different companies, more than I can keep up with.

I had a rifle built last year (2018) on a Kelbly Atlas and just got a Rifle built on a defiance Deviant Tac this past summer. Defiance is smoother and more accurate by far. Both rifles are 300wm and were chambered with the same reamer by the same smith. Kelbly has a bartlien barrel, defiance has a proof cf. I would’ve said defiance is worth the extra coin, but now with the tenacity out it’s not even a choice for me.

As we stated earlier in the description, and on the website, at the moment the Ruckus is not available with a 3-position safety or the controlled round feature with either a claw extractor or a blade ejector. The new Tenacity does not have a cone bolt face or CRF feature either, and before it gets brought up again, yes, we are aware that the picture used for the release had a barrel in it with a cone breach. The person who took the photo did it next to a barrel that was being prepped for a BadRock action, and in our excitement to do the product release we failed to catch it.
We are all human, I knew that the claw extractor and three position safety is not available on these two actions. And the cone nose was not mentioned, or I didn't see it, so I was HOPING the blade ejector and the cone nose might be available. Reason being the Elite is only available in SA with 308 bolt face. The others have the extra bolt sizes and action lengths available. I have the XM, Deviant Hunter, with the three position safety and claw extractor. No extra bolt available on that one. Not together yet but it is the absolute best piece of work I have ever put my hands on. Will probably end up with the Elite SA unless I can convince someone to build the XM length.

We are all human, I knew that the claw extractor and three position safety is not available on these two actions. And the cone nose was not mentioned, or I didn't see it, so I was HOPING the blade ejector and the cone nose might be available. Reason being the Elite is only available in SA with 308 bolt face. The others have the extra bolt sizes and action lengths available. I have the XM, Deviant Hunter, with the three position safety and claw extractor. No extra bolt available on that one. Not together yet but it is the absolute best piece of work I have ever put my hands on. Will probably end up with the Elite SA unless I can convince someone to build the XM length.

We have a few things in the pipeline. We also brought in another machine just for doing design development without having to cut into production time. I can't give you any kind of ETA or timeline, but we are listening and working on it.

Yup chad is good to go

Can second this. My tempest is THE smoothest action that i have ever felt and i'm attributing it a lot to Chad polishing the raceways and then DLCing it. He's about as good as it gets for DLC.

@Defiance Machine What does the Ruckus GA Hunter entail? Integral rail that isn't connecting to save a little weight?

Reactions: kthomas
Look what showed up today! Thanks @Defiance Machine and @ALTUSSHOOTING for getting this all lined up!
ADE1C414-E7F7-4818-98AD-FD2B385D7EC5.jpeg

Last edited:
Can second this. My tempest is THE smoothest action that i have ever felt and i'm attributing it a lot to Chad polishing the raceways and then DLCing it. He's about as good as it gets for DLC.

@Defiance Machine What does the Ruckus GA Hunter entail? Integral rail that isn't connecting to save a little weight?

Yup, the same as the Deviant GA Hunter essentially.

Reactions: 5RWill
So flat out. If you had to pick one. Deviant tactical or ruckus?