• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defiance Tenacity vs Bighorn Origin

Aviatorfreak

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2019
Hey guys. Any thoughts on the defiance tenacity black coated vs bighorn origin. And i don’t care about the changeable bolt face for the origin. I read that on their ad info.

The “black coating” should be nitride. A surface hardening treatment, not a coating. Same thing thats done to the Origin.

Both are very nice actions, you cant go wrong with either. The only real difference is the interchangeable bolt heads of the Origin. Decide if thats something you need/want.

Origin: Control round feed, mechanical blade ejector, change bolt heads, pinmed non-integral recoil lug

Tenacity: push feed, plunger ejector, solid 1 piece bolt, integral lug.

Of these two, I personally prefer the origin. It has slightly lighter bolt lift and once you get your trigger timed correctly the bolt closing and transition to the trigger sear is extremely smooth. For the budget minded defiance, I really like the BadRock action, it utilizes control round feed and mechanic blade ejector like the bighorn. You cannot get these unless it's a complete barreled action however. For the 1500$ it's a devent deal though.

Reactions: BiggBeans
Both are nice, but I went with the Origin due to the fancy-pants CRF/fixed-ejector because I'd never had that type before.

The Origin has been great, for me it wasn't about cost and I could've bought anything, still happy with my choice 2000+ rounds and more than a few months and few matches later.

...and turns out the CRF-thing has come in handy in ways I hadn't thought of when I chose it: these days, after trying most ways out there, I like to find my barrel's lands using the Deep Creek method (see Youtube), and with the Origin it's a tool-free operation to remove the firing-pin and I'm ready to go as easy as can be. With a plunger-ejector/M16-extractor type action like the Tenacity, I'd have to pull out a hammer, block, and punches before even getting started.

I absolutely love mechanical ejection so that’s a big plus to me about the zermatt actions.

Decide on the features you want and buy it.
Your not getting hosed on either unless you ignore your wants and needs.

availability of proof steel and carbon prefits for the origin is nice, where defiance you need to step up to the ruckus

You won’t go wrong either way. Pick the feature you prefer and go with it. I like mechanical ejectors. Not a deal breaker in any way but if it has it it’s a bonus. I also like tooless firing pin removal. Once again not a deal breaker but a bonus. I do prefer integral recoil lugs and preferably integral rails too.

Another vote for the Origin. The feature set is killer.

Tenacity imo especially now that they take ruckus prefits

While I’ve not owned an origin I simply prefer how defiance feel over my tl3 at least, and interchangeable bolt heads not mattering leads me to my answer. I picked tenacity, and am very happy with mine.

Last edited:
Origin will take origin prefits, or tl3 prefits with the hunts long range recoil lug.

I’m more than happy with my Tennacity. Super smooth, and ruckus prefits are the easy button.

I have a tenacity, origin, Stiller and kelbly atlas. The atlas is my favorite by far and have ordered 2 more. The tenacity would take second, very nice just love the atlas.

Reactions: Matt_3479
Origin.

My next budget custom will probably be Mack Bros.
You have any idea on the availability of the Evo action? Been going to thier site weekly for almost a year and have never seen them in stock. I'd love to grab one. That swept bolt handle is the bees knees.

They are only in limited runs. I think they are so busy that it might be awhile. Best to call and talk to them.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
They are good folks. They have a ton of work on their plate I know. I believe The Mack Bros stuff takes a backseat to other large obligations they have.

If availability is a concern, Origins seem to be available, while Tenacitys not so much. Called Defiance yesterday and it’s a 50 week wait on a Tenacity from them direct. I’ve been looking for one right now without much luck. May go Origin just for availability.

If availability is a concern, Origins seem to be available, while Tenacitys not so much. Called Defiance yesterday and it’s a 50 week wait on a Tenacity from them direct. I’ve been looking for one right now without much luck. May go Origin just for availability.
Bugholes usually has them in stock regularly , along with altus. I got my tenacity from GA precision. They usually trickle in. I agree though. I always see bighorn origins ready to go

Altus is another good source. I prefer the black nitride version.

Go through Snowy Mountain Rifles for one. Cuts down time