• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Defiance XM Length action for 6.5 PRC build

Willie Miller V

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2013
I’m trying to decide on which action to use for a 6.5prc build, Defiance XM Length is first on my list. But are there any other better alternatives and should I go with a short or long action? Is Defiance the only one that offers the XM action if not then who? Also throwing around the idea of a switch barrel, if so I’m going with a long action or the best one for 300prc. I’ve got a Desert Tech with a Proof Carbon 300prc barrel now, it’s just a bit heavy to take hunting. The actions that I’ve considered in the past are Big Horn, Impact and Defiance. I like the Big Horns swap-able bolt heads.

Reactions: toader
7CBE486B-3C97-49DC-A203-E884B279FDE6.gif

Tikkas make a great platform, Mdt and xlr both make a chassis for tikka LA (3.56")
I will have a T3 action available soon as I just ordered a deviant xm today for a new prc build. I also have a full JCS stock setup to run long action with mtn tactical bottom metal with accurate mag 3.715" mag if your interested.
Lone peak arms and borden both make medium actions as well. I went with the defiance due to chassis inlets from MPA and MDT.

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
I’m tossing around a very similar idea currently. Thinking xm action as well but wanna make sure I get the right one. Toader is your bottom metal the defiance bdl kit for the xm? Not trying to hijack the thread just curious what bottom metal you’ve got.

Reactions: toader
I’m tossing around a very similar idea currently. Thinking xm action as well but wanna make sure I get the right one. Toader is your bottom metal the defiance bdl kit for the xm? Not trying to hijack the thread just curious what bottom metal you’ve got.
Yes.....the XM bdl kit from Defiance

I plan on using Hawkins BDL hinged floor plate and Trigger Tech Diamond Trigger, I’m leaning towards a long action just in case I add another long action caliber. The XM limits the stock choices and I want to go with a carbon fiber stock, Manners lightest stock available. By the time I add a can on the end and put either a NF 5-25x56 or Khales 624i the weight will add up.

If your trying to save weight you might take a look at the Defiance AnTi. Long action is only 22-23 ounces?

Last edited:
Reactions: Krazy_jim
For my 6.5 PRC I went with a Defiance XM, Hawkins BDL, and a Wyatt's box, follower, and spring. Everything turned out great.

For my 6.5 PRC I went with a Defiance XM, Hawkins BDL, and a Wyatt's box, follower, and spring. Everything turned out great.

Was the wyatt's box necessary for the XM? was that just to help with smooth feeding? I've looked at it for a short action conversion but didnt think about it for the XM which has a bit more clearance as it is. Thanks for your help.

Was the wyatt's box necessary for the XM? was that just to help with smooth feeding? I've looked at it for a short action conversion but didnt think about it for the XM which has a bit more clearance as it is. Thanks for your help.
The extended Wyatt's box allows for a longer COAL vs a standard box.

How significant are the disadvantages of going with a straight-up short action?

I've already got an antiX built in 6.5 creedmoor, its got a custom serial number, I'm kinda married to it. However, sometimes I feel like the 6.5 needsmoor haha. I could order up a magface bolt and be in business for a PRC, is that correct?

New magnum sized boltface and a new barrel would be in order. It probably would work out fine. If you handload you wouldnt get the full advantage of the PRC with that capability. If you shoot factory ammo its probably a waste to get medium length action. Especially if you can get a Wyatt's box for it.

Reactions: Shrubjr
I used a Defiance Deviant short action for my 6.5 prc build. It fed just fine. If you build it on a long action the rounds will probably release from the magazine too soon and not feed correctly. If you build it on a medium action you will have to find a magazine that will feed 6.5 prc. I would keep it simple. Short action and short action magazine.

Reactions: Shrubjr
It just depends on your overall length. If your loading longer than short action rounds go medium or a tikka. My tikkas feed and eject my long 7 saum bullets like a dream and its longer than a medium length action. If your shooting true short action length rounds I agree, keep it simple and run a short action. I dont have much experience running short action rounds in a true long action.

I’m trying to decide on which action to use for a 6.5prc build, Defiance XM Length is first on my list. But are there any other better alternatives and should I go with a short or long action? Is Defiance the only one that offers the XM action if not then who? Also throwing around the idea of a switch barrel, if so I’m going with a long action or the best one for 300prc. I’ve got a Desert Tech with a Proof Carbon 300prc barrel now, it’s just a bit heavy to take hunting. The actions that I’ve considered in the past are Big Horn, Impact and Defiance. I like the Big Horns swap-able bolt heads.
Take a look at the unknown munitions website. They are the exclusive distributor for BAT VESPR actions which utilize the lone peak inlet for stock options. Their version of the XM accommodates a bit longer OAL vs defiance (~3.2” vs ~3.4”).

Considering the recent price increases at defiance the BAT is much nicer for a few penny’s more.

Take a look at the unknown munitions website. They are the exclusive distributor for BAT VESPR actions which utilize the lone peak inlet for stock options. Their version of the XM accommodates a bit longer OAL vs defiance (~3.2” vs ~3.4”).

Considering the recent price increases at defiance the BAT is much nicer for a few penny’s more.
note...you need to use the UM DBM/mags to get that 3.4"

Reactions: shadydiesel
I plan on using Hawkins BDL hinged floor plate and Trigger Tech Diamond Trigger, I’m leaning towards a long action just in case I add another long action caliber. The XM limits the stock choices and I want to go with a carbon fiber stock, Manners lightest stock available. By the time I add a can on the end and put either a NF 5-25x56 or Khales 624i the weight will add up.
I had same thought so I’ve got a Manners UC plus stock on order right now for my rifle pictured above. I ordered in January so it should t be much longer.