• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dehumidifier Rod Mounting Position?

nhdeadhead

Felony Farmer
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2020
Hey guys,
I just picked up a Lockdown 12” 8w dehumidifier rod for my safe and when I went to install it I discovered I don’t have the room on the floor of the safe to mount it horizontally like the instructions suggest. Can they be mounted vertically? It has plastic end caps and a plastic mount… so that leads me to believe it doesn’t get too hot but would rather be safe than sorry.

I’ve read mixed reviews online so wouldn’t mind some real world feedback.

If your worried about it why not put a piece of metal between the end of rod and the felt on the floor of the safe.

That was my plan but don’t have the room on the floor anyways. If mounted vertical it would be to metal on the side of the safe so no concern there.

I’m assuming they say to mount horizontal so it has more even heat distribution. I tried calling the manufacturer to ask but they won’t be open for a few days.

I’m just curious if anyone has had one mounted vertically for a period of time without issue.

I’ve had mine mounted vertically for the last 10+ years in two different safes. No ill effects and the gauges show humidity at perfect levels.

Thanks for the response… that’s pretty much what I was hoping to hear!

What do you aim to keep yours at for humidity?

Most people recommend anywhere from 35-50%. Liberty Safe recommends 50%. It seems to be generally agreed upon that humidity over 50-60% results in rust forming, and under 30% can dry and damage wooden furniture.