• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dell Desktop Computer worth it?

I've had good luck with Dell precision workstations for business work, but they will put you above your budget. They used to use enterprise components (its been a while since I bought one). I've had power supplies and disk drives die and Dell will overnight you an exchange. I've had power surges come in over ethernet and Dell has replaced memory and motherboards overnight. If you are using this in your business, it needs to be rock solid with mirrored drives and you need to do backups daily. I used to backup my data twice a day because losing 8 hours of work was too costly. Accidents and power surges are real things that happen to good people.

I've had good luck with Dell precision workstations for business work, but they will put you above your budget. They used to use enterprise components (its been a while since I bought one). I've had power supplies and disk drives die and Dell will overnight you an exchange. I've had power surges come in over ethernet and Dell has replaced memory and motherboards overnight. If you are using this in your business, it needs to be rock solid with mirrored drives and you need to do backups daily. I used to backup my data twice a day because losing 8 hours of work was too costly. Accidents and power surges are real things that happen to good people.

Hardware mirrored NVMe drives is going to put you into a much higher price point.
Most would probably be fine with running a large NVMe drive as their primary data drive and then having a large SATA 7200rpm drive as a secondary, then have something like Acronis (or any number of programs), do an image backup of the primary data drive on a daily basis.

The last two desktops I've had for work have both not worked right out of the box, Dell support was awesome and got them both fixed quickly, but they're still 0 for 2 as far as my dealings with them. Laptops have only been slightly better, my last one had the battery fail and it swelled up to the point I couldn't use my badge reader and it thermally limited the processor permanently.

The last two desktops I've had for work have both not worked right out of the box, Dell support was awesome and got them both fixed quickly, but they're still 0 for 2 as far as my dealings with them. Laptops have only been slightly better, my last one had the battery fail and it swelled up to the point I couldn't use my badge reader and it thermally limited the processor permanently.
That is exactly why I get the refurbished dells. Its like they have been through QC twice and finally found all the bugs lol

So graphics is where i get lost, I dont know what is good bad or what, im not a gamer I have my own business and just want something future proofed, with enough to do some photo editing or video editing for my business.
If you don't need to do much then go for the newer 11th Gen Intel with the Iris integrated graphics. It is much better than the graphics built into the 10th gen.

Dell moved from NC to Mexico. I'll never buy another one of their products. Fuck 'em.

Dell moved from NC to Mexico. I'll never buy another one of their products. Fuck 'em.

You will be hard pressed to find any large PC maker that does not have most of their stuff made overseas.
Go pick any big name brand you want, get the system in, then open it up & start checking where all the components are made and assembled.
Even final assembly of the components is not usually done in the USA unless it's the high value commercial stuff.

You will be hard pressed to find any large PC maker that does not have most of their stuff made overseas.
Go pick any big name brand you want, get the system in, then open it up & start checking where all the components are made and assembled.
Even final assembly of the components is not usually done in the USA unless it's the high value commercial stuff.

Agreed. I still passed over Dell on my purchases since the move. Will losing my business hurt them? No. But I feel less worse.

If you don't need to do much then go for the newer 11th Gen Intel with the Iris integrated graphics. It is much better than the graphics built into the 10th gen.
The significant improvement in integrated graphics are the Iris Xe graphics on the Intel side, and since the OP specifically called out video editing as a use case I'll point out the M1's graphics performance destroys even the 11th gen Iris Xe in actual video editing tasks. Here's a good comparison, and while both are in laptops rather than desktops you're not going to see a meaningful difference in iGPU performance between a laptop and a desktop, so the advantage the iGPU in the M1 has over the 11th Gen with Iris Xe should translate to both machines being run in a desktop form factor.