• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Deprime before or after tumbling? (Newbie)

btoor2413

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2012
Franklin, WI
So I have read a bunch of threads here and I am getting mixed results. Some people say they deprime and fl size before tumbling and some after. Also if you size and deprime after tumbling is there a need to tumble again to get case lube off? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You will need to remove case lube somehow, whether its tumbling or simply wiping.

I usually tumble if necessary before I size and deprime.

Whatever work flow works for you is the best.

De-prime while sizing, and tumble to remove the lube.

What about dirty cases going into the dies? I've read that they can wreck the dies. Is that true?

If they're nasty enough to worry about damaging your dies tumble them first.
I don't worry about dry brass that hasn't rolled around in the dirt and mud.

Last edited:
I shoot suppressed so all my brass is dirty as hell. I do not want to run that through my sizing dies so I decap with a hornady decap die, tumble in SS media, then lube/size. Its an extra step but keeps the crud out of my sizing dies.

Thanks for the information guys. I think just to be safe ill tumble then size and deprime and then tumble again.

I am with mach. I just do a short tumble to get most of the loose stuff off from there. Otherwise when I put the lube on the casing and run it up into the die, it can get real gunked up and dirty in and around the die.

Dry tumble them for about 2 hours, resize, and then tumble again to get all of the lube and excess residue off. Just what I do, not saying it's best.

Thanks for the information guys. I think just to be safe ill tumble then size and deprime and then tumble again.

Can't hurt, just takes a little longer.
My brass gets de-primed and SS tumbled before annealing,and I clean my sizing die every 100-150 rounds. It stays pretty clean for the loads between so I don't worry about it.

Can't hurt, just takes a little longer.
My brass gets de-primed and SS tumbled before annealing,and I clean my sizing die every 100-150 rounds. It stays pretty clean for the loads between so I don't worry about it.
How do you clean your dies?

I just unscrew the decapping rod and remove it and clean the lube off the expander ball.
Then I spray out the inside of the body with some Gun Scrubber stuff and dry it out with a piece of paper towel on an old shotgun swab.
Nothing fancy. Takes about 3 minutes.

I just unscrew the decapping rod and remove it and clean the lube off the expander ball.
Then I spray out the inside of the body with some Gun Scrubber stuff and dry it out with a piece of paper towel on an old shotgun swab.
Nothing fancy. Takes about 3 minutes.
Sounds good. Thanks for the help.

I agree with tumbling twice. Just make sure after tumbling the second time that you looked at all of the flash holes. There will be media stuck in some of them. Poke em out!

My cases are tumbled before they get anywhere near my dies, but I usually use walnut and walnut doesnt clean primer pockets to any real extent.

If using stainless media depriming before tumbling is good, so the pockets will be cleaned.

I tumble first, trim if required, resize, reload then tumble to get the lube off.

So you tumble loaded ammunition? I'm sorry if I'm reading it wrong. ive actually had a primer blowup by doing this. fortunately it was not charged. I didn't know there was a primer in a case when I tumbled it. So, outside of the danger of tumbling loaded ammunition, I have read where tumbling the powder (loaded ammo)breaks up the actual shape and construction of the powder. Thus you have loads that are not Burning the way the powder was designed to burn. Again, maybe I'm reading you wrong, if I am, I apologize

I tumble first, then deprime/size, then put them in my sonic cleaner for a little bit to remove lube.

So you tumble loaded ammunition? I'm sorry if I'm reading it wrong. ive actually had a primer blowup by doing this. fortunately it was not charged. I didn't know there was a primer in a case when I tumbled it. So, outside of the danger of tumbling loaded ammunition, I have read where tumbling the powder (loaded ammo)breaks up the actual shape and construction of the powder. Thus you have loads that are not Burning the way the powder was designed to burn. Again, maybe I'm reading you wrong, if I am, I apologize

Ah yes, perpetuating the myth...

I wonder how the ammo producers get away with it...

I'm not interested in picking tumbling media out of flash holes so I tumble first then decap.

Ah yes, perpetuating the myth...

I wonder how the ammo producers get away with it...

Ah yes. You mean to tell me the ammo producers tumble loaded ammo? Then my deal that I experienced first hand must have been in my imagination. Give me your address and I'll send you one of my 50 bmg rounds loaded with 230 gr of powder, Throw it in the tumbler with a bunch of other rounds. Then sit by the tumbler and read a book so we can see how much of a "myth" I'm perpetuAting". May not happen the first time, may not happen the second time, may not happen the 100th time, but it will likely happen if you load as much as I do. I love those that log onto the internet to throw stones at people trying to give reasonable advise. Your suggestion of reloading that way is dangerous and stupid

I also deprime with a lee decapping die as I do not like using my good Reddings for that. Follow up with a SS tumble and the primer pockets are clean as whistle. I then either complete my brass prep if once fired (swaging, uniforming, ect), or move on to size & trim followed by a 2nd quick 1-hour tumble before priming and loading.

For rifle I use a SS tumbler. I used to de-prime and then tumble, size/trim, then tumble again. Now I just tumble for about 30 minutes, size/trim, then run them through the tumbler for another 30 minutes to get the lube off. They come out bright and shiny, I see no reason for tumbling longer like some people do. I've tried it and it doesn't make a difference for me.

For pistol I just tumble in corn cob or walnut if they are really filthy and then load.

Last edited:
Yes, the ammunition manufacturers tumble loaded rounds.

I tumble loaded rounds also. THOUSANDS of them without any problems.

However, tumbling is not necessary tumbling. From my research the prohibition against tumbling loaded rounds was before vibratory tumblers came on the market (mid-70s).

I would not tumbler loaded rounds in a thumblers type rotary tumbler, but a vibratory tumbler is does not move the rounds with enough force to detonate one.

If the brass is fairly clean, I resize/decap then tumbles. If it has been on the ground or otherwise not clean, I will tumble first, just enough to clean the brass (15 - 20 minutes).

unless the case is very cruddy, i'll FLS or NS and decap, clean out the pocket with a primer pocket brush, trim / chamfer if needed, then tumble. shines up the stretch marks from the FLS.

then poke out the jit in the flashhole with a handheld decapper pin and rod, prime, and polish alittle more with never dull.

using walnut media.

Quick Tumble when I get home from shooting to get the carbon off before FI sizing. Then size, sonic clean for the primer pockets, etc.

Yes, the ammunition manufacturers tumble loaded rounds.

I tumble loaded rounds also. THOUSANDS of them without any problems.

However, tumbling is not necessary tumbling. From my research the prohibition against tumbling loaded rounds was before vibratory tumblers came on the market (mid-70s).

I would not tumbler loaded rounds in a thumblers type rotary tumbler, but a vibratory tumbler is does not move the rounds with enough force to detonate one.

If the brass is fairly clean, I resize/decap then tumbles. If it has been on the ground or otherwise not clean, I will tumble first, just enough to clean the brass (15 - 20 minutes).

I had a loaded round in my Thumbler with some 308 brass... I had no idea the damn thing was in there and have no idea how it got there. My only guess is either I or someone else put it in the bag with my brass on accident...

It rolled around in there for SIX HOURS with about 150 other pieces of brass....

I still have it. I'm too much of a pussy to try and shoot it. I'm sure it would work though.

Just to add my two cents.

I deprime with a universal deprimer, tumble brass with ss media and cleaner, resize and tumble again without ss media.

Then I do my trim/chamfer/debut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't wet tumble, their really isn't much of a point in depriming first. It's not like corn cob or walnut is going to clean out the primer pockets and it's not like cleaning the primer pockets actually has any effect on your reloads anyway

I tumble first and try and clean the brass. In some cases, I may wash in vinegar water, neutralize with baking soda and rinse with clean water and dry in the oven at about 120deg. with the door open. Any more heat and you can risk weakening the brass. Usually I just tumble.

I do it first because media always get stuck in the flash hole. During depriming and sizing, the media nearly always gets knocked out with the depriming pin. The lube isn't much of a problem: I lube the outside of the cases gently and use a brush to get just inside the necks. I don't have problems with fouled powder due to oil or lube. Most are in fact made to address this problem.

If you deprime first and then tumble, you not only run the risk of plugging the flash hole with media, you also run the risk of scratching your dies with dirty brass. I think if you look in the Speer reloading manual, it mentions the order they recommend regarding the steps taken during reloading.

Lots of people do it different ways, but the bottom line is you want to have clean primer pockets, flash holes and brass no matter how you do it, for the reasons mentioned above.

Ah yes. You mean to tell me the ammo producers tumble loaded ammo? Then my deal that I experienced first hand must have been in my imagination. Give me your address and I'll send you one of my 50 bmg rounds loaded with 230 gr of powder, Throw it in the tumbler with a bunch of other rounds. Then sit by the tumbler and read a book so we can see how much of a "myth" I'm perpetuAting". May not happen the first time, may not happen the second time, may not happen the 100th time, but it will likely happen if you load as much as I do. I love those that log onto the internet to throw stones at people trying to give reasonable advise. Your suggestion of reloading that way is dangerous and stupid

Tumble live ammo Tumbler O' thruth EXTREME edition, 200hour torture test**UPDATE**fired rounds in OP - AR15.COM

I really don't care what you do with it.

I didn't suggest that any one tumble loaded ammo, but a lot of folks do...

It rolled around in there for SIX HOURS with about 150 other pieces of brass....

I still have it. I'm too much of a pussy to try and shoot it. I'm sure it would work though.

Somewhere online someone did a test of rounds that tumbled for DAYS. NO change in velocity.

Somewhere online someone did a test of rounds that tumbled for DAYS. NO change in velocity.

I was thinking more along the lines of, I don't know how well my primers are sealed... Could have gotten water in there... I suppose I could shake it and listen for it.

It was a softpoint. The point was a little deformed but it was otherwise unharmed.

I bought some Hornady National Match 308 bullets the other day. They're older and have some corrosion on them. I'm thinking about either rolling them wet or sticking them in some walnut to get 'em spiffy new again...

I'm de-priming (Lee Universal), then stainless steel tumble (wet), re-sizing and prepping, sonic cleaning, sorting, and loading. This is my first go-around, so any thoughts would be appreciated. FYI, the Frankford Arsenal Platinum tumbler w/SS media worked better than I could have ever imagined. I've been saving my brass for over a year, and some of it was quite tarnished. The primer pockets looked very clean, and the inside of the case is free of any residue. Very pleased and ready to move forward confidently.

I started tumbling loaded ammo after a major manufacture of specialty ammo who sells hundreds of thousands of rounds a years told me as long as it in a vibrating, not a rotating tumbler, it as safe. It only takes 15 minutes or so to get the lube off. I've been doing this for over 10 years loaded 10's of thousands of rounds. As noted in another post the vibrating tumbler filled with media doesn't move the cases with enough velocity to set off a primer. But I do not do this with 50 BMG not enough room in my tumbler. only 30 caliber 223 and pistol ammo.

Hum, I tumble before deprime but I only tumble as a last resort. I give the necks a quick wipe with a rag with a bit of ballistol on it and go on to size/deprime/load. I've never understood the obsession with brass cleaning. I tumble brass that's been run through AR's of various calibers suppressed, but otherwise I have better things to do with my time. I find brass shot in min tolerance chambers to have almost no fouling/carbon residue on it anyway.

I'm sure the 1000 yard folks could argue that fouling on the inside of the case can impact group size at extreme distances but I would like to see a controlled study.

And I have quality dies that I've used for 20 years that show no ill effects from my minimalist approach.

So don't stress newb, only be as anal about your brass as you desire.

e4cf6b979b0032cd35b290e99aa5a790.jpg
4b5ddf23cb5ec2281432040438794ebd.jpg
ed85e3da6e6223387a235666cfcf733f.jpg

Very. Very. Very.......... VERY anal...... [emoji3]

Posted Via Glade Plug In.

I just tumble long enough to get the girt and dirt off. Super bright shiny cases do not shoot any better. :)

And thinking about it from a engineering POV, to get ugly cases that bright and shiny, you are removing brass. So tumble long enough, and your cases can be thinned out and disappear. :)

Ultra sonic bath for 25 to 45 mins. Then deprime/neck-resize. clean primer pocket and case checking. Case trim/prep neck edge. Then, hand prime. Powder dispense on +- 0.1gr electronic scale/dispenser. Hand powder load 10 cases at a time. Bullet seating. (no crimping on my 300WM). OACL check. When done for the batch Random weight and OACL check.
Result hits are touching at 100 yrd.

I just tumble long enough to get the girt and dirt off. Super bright shiny cases do not shoot any better. :)

And thinking about it from a engineering POV, to get ugly cases that bright and shiny, you are removing brass. So tumble long enough, and your cases can be thinned out and disappear. :)
20 minutes in a Thumblers Tumbler with Dawn dish soap and Lemishine did that..... I don't think 20 minutes is removing any significant or even measurable amount of brass.....

Posted Via Glade Plug In.

Yeah,,but just think about all the extra powder you can get in there after they are thinned out and fire formed again!!! WooHoo!! :)