• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Deprimed fingers?

rangeryo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2013
Central Virginia
I need a little help feeling less like a moron, please tell me others have done this.
I was processing a batch of 300 308 cases and got my finger in between the case and depriming tool. Ran the depriming pin through the top of my finger and my wonderfully chamfered piece of brass through the bottom.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Did you ream the flash hole as well? I'm sorry man. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'll bet you will only do it once!

Did you ream the flash hole as well? I'm sorry man. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'll bet you will only do it once!

Nope, will never do that again... In ny defense I was running on about 2 hours of sleep in two days.

I've experienced this as well. When my youngest son was about 5 I had him running the press handle and I was feeding the single stage press while processing pistol brass. Ran the decapping pin through 1 side and out the other side of the pad of left index finger. Hurt like hell and was really hard not to yell when I told him to raise the handle. Wish I could have those days back though.

Exactly what happened to me. Pin didnt quite make it all the way through, but i could see the red dot on the pad of my index finger, right in the middle of the cookie cutter (case mouth) ring.

2 days with 2 hours of sleep may not be an optimum time for reloading.

Probably not. Wasnt really reloading at the time, just trying to get all my brass deprimed so I could get it tumbled.

Did you go to the doctor and get a Tetanus shot and get it cleaned out?

Did you go to the doctor and get a Tetanus shot and get it cleaned out?

Ive had my tetanus shots, probably way more often than needed. Not to concerned with cleaning it out. Did some field first aid and went back to my lonely brass.

Hope the finger is ok. You might want to think about having one of these around:

Home Page

Definitely worth $50. I like it primarily because I'm not tied to my loading bench when decapping and can do lots of cases while watching TV.

Didn't get the decapping pin, but I did catch the side of my finger between the die bottom and a 380 case. Nice clean crescent chunk for getting a little too quick with the handle. I think about it every time now though.

Got a finger good and smashed when seating a bullet once. Tingled for a couple weeks. Doubt it hurt near as bad as a decapping pin and chamfered case neck, but I didn't enjoy it.

Never hurt myself bad with reloading, but I have thrown a lee enfield firing pin through my pinky ("doing it wrong" on reassembly).
fingerduring.jpg

I've nicked a finger, but putting the depriming pin all the way through . . . . . . . just makes my cajhones tingle . . . .OUCH ! ! !

Holy shit ledzep!!!

I feel your pain rangeryo... I tried to deprime my fingernail once. Got a nice bruise under the nail that lasted for about 2 months. Hurt like hell every time I pressed on the pad of the finger.

... A learning lesson.

I'm not sure what hurt more the pin passing thru the tip of my finger or the compression the press did between the die and the shellholder.

Still a bad memory, 38 years since that screw up. Haste made waste.

Holy shit ledzep!!!

I feel your pain rangeryo... I tried to deprime my fingernail once. Got a nice bruise under the nail that lasted for about 2 months. Hurt like hell every time I pressed on the pad of the finger.

... A learning lesson.

Im just glad it was on my support hand and not my trigger finger!

Thanks to everyone who posts the stupid shut they have done, as it serves to remind others to pay FUCKING attention.

I consider myself functionally retarded, so thanks for making me paranoid during reloading.

That beings said

Hahahahahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't run a pin through my finger, but I did crush one really well between the bottom of the die and the shell holder...not paying attention and reached in when I thought the press handle was secured...it wasn't.

Another time I neglected to tape up the sharpened edge of a khukuri (those banana shaped knives from Nepal that the Gurkha's use), and ran my little finger completely down the blade. It required micro surgery to re-attach the tendons and nerves. The cut went about 180 degrees around the finger from the inside next to the ring finger all the way around to the outside next to the top of the knuckle. I knew instantly that a trip to the hospital was in my future.

A de-priming pin through the finger was the cause of one of my first trips to the e-room. I think I was six, helping dad reload some 25-06 when I fumbled a case. Must be a fairly common injury, especially when two people are working together on the same press

I love that you took a moment to snap a photo before anything esle.

djskit, i was thinking the same thing. Funny, but I probably would have taken a pic before I pulled it out.

Few years ago, I was putting down flooring in my barn with an electric drill and did not remove the key from the chuck before I started running screws in the flooring. The Rubber Key Keeper Wrapped Around My finger......dayum! The fingernail still grows with a crease in it.