• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tactical Arms SRS owners??

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'm very seriously thinking of buying a Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifle in .338 Lapua. I'm selling (locally in 'Vegas area) two other highly prized rifles to finance this purchase so I don't take it lightly.

Has anybody on this site owned this rifle (in any caliber)? I've examined an SRS personally at a local gunshop and found it well put together and with a great trigger.
Pros? Cons?

Re: Desert Tactical Arms SRS owners??

I've been wanting to check one of those out. Are you getting the .338 only or the conversion for a smaller caliber also?

There is 26 pages of info on DTA rifles, it's a sticky on the bolt action rifles sub forum.

Yeah, there's plenty of folks here who have them and the pros and cons have been covered in detail.

In a nutshell, AI-level quality, accurate and durable. Caliber conversion is quick and easy with repeatable return to zero. Ergonomics are mixed, some having difficulty with bullpup configuration while others like it. 3rd party barrels available but bolts and mags are only by DTA - in other words, a smith can put any brand/type of barrel on an SRS barrel extension, however you're limited to the available bolts and magazines from DTA (still, that's a LOT of cartridges).

@ kujo> I'm only getting the .338 Lapua in the DTA SRS. BTW, I'm getting the SRS with the levelling "toe wheel" aleady factory installed in the stock's toe. That said I <span style="font-style: italic">could</span> see getting a .22/250 barrel later for varmint hunting. It would have to be a custom barrel but it's likely cheaper than a entirely new rifle at that accuracy level.

I only want one long range target rifle so I'm selling my .300 win mag HS Precision heavy, fluted barrel & stocked Rem. 700 stainless action. It has an M 24 stock & a magazine setup.

Keeping my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt stainless hunting rifle. It's also a sub MOA shooter.

@ Dogtown> Thanks for the info. I'm fine with the bullpup setup B/C I own a Steyr AUG bullpup I've use for 3 gun competition and like the compact design.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll checkout the DTA sticky too.

I live in Vegas and own/love my DTA in 308 and 338. I'll send you a PM with my number. If you don't sound like you are going to stalk me, cut off my scrotum, and wear it for a beanie I'll let you check it out. If I can get a little time together you can send some rounds down range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in Vegas and own/love my DTA in 308 and 338. I'll send you a PM with my number. If you don't sound like you are going to stalk me, cut off my scrotum, and wear it for a beanie I'll let you check it out. If I can get a little time together you can send some rounds down range. </div></div>

Ok I lol'd.

op: Unless your punching paper past 1k I wouldn't expect a huge increase in accuracy between the .300 and the .338

I have the DTA SRS deployment kit 2. That's dual caliber .308 and .338, armorer's kit, drag bag for sticking all the mags, bolts, barrels, and chassis in.

Let me start by saying I shoot this rifle more than any other of my bolt guns. It's that good.

That said:

- Bolts can take breaking in. Took me half a day of cycling to get super smooth cycling of the .308 bolt. This is often true for bolts that headspace directly on the barrel, but just be aware you may need to watch TV and cycle the bolt a couple hundred times (apply a small amount of lube) before heading to the range. I had no such issues with the .338 bolt/barrel and both calibers cycle like butter now.

- Bolt cycling is different. It's a bull pup, so you have to practice pulling straight back.

- Barrels must be broken in properly to get . This is probably obvious to you (and anyone who shoots LR). The rifle started shooting 1 MOA and tightened up to 1/4 MOA during barrel break-in.

- Right handed shooter only. This rifle comes RH only.

- Bullpup means you get more gas in your face. This is also obvious, since the end of the barrel is 6" closer to you.

- Lots of ranges don't allow .338. I live in the Bay Area and two ranges near me allow it (Sacramento SC and Sunnyvale Rod and Gun)

Bottom line, I love this rifle. Personally, I think the trigger pull is so smooth, I think and shoot. The DTA guys also provide awesome customer support.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in Vegas and own/love my DTA in 308 and 338. I'll send you a PM with my number. If you don't sound like you are going to stalk me, cut off my scrotum, and wear it for a beanie I'll let you check it out. If I can get a little time together you can send some rounds down range. </div></div>
Not to hi jack but that's some funny sh*t