• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech... It's here!

doctordoctor

El Doctor
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2011
Erie,pa
Just got this from Desert Tech:
DESERT TECH INTRODUCES THE MICRO DYNAMIC RIFLE AT 2014 SHOT SHOW

January 9th, 2014 -Salt Lake City Utah - Desert Tech is pleased to announce a new product for SHOT SHOW 2014 - the Micro Dynamic Rifle (MDR), it was announced today by Nick Young, CEO of Desert Tech.

The MDR is a perfectly balanced compact auto loading bullpup rifle that gives LE, Military and Government agencies an unrivaled ability to adapt and maneuver. The MDR converts without tools between 5 calibers. Using innovative technology such as the patent pending forward ejection mechanism and 100% ambidextrous controls the MDR can be used by any operator in any position;
* Portability - The MDR has unrivaled porta bility because it is lightweight, com- pact, ergonomic, and balanced with an overall length of 26" (or 20" with 10.5" barrel) and a weight of 7.12 - 7.5 lbs
* Adaptable - The MDR is adaptable in both size and caliber. It can quickly convert between five calibers, and its patent pending sighting system retains barrel zeros without the need to compensate for any impact shift.
* Ambidextrous - The MDR is fully ambidextrous with no modifications necessary. Our patent pending forward ejection mechanism and intuitive controls set a new bullpup stan dard for speed and precision.

Desert Tech will be holding a press conference Tuesday Jan 14th at 1:00pm in the Marcello 4420 meeting room of the Venetian. This press conference will give media and industry friends an in-depth look into the MDR and all other products that will be released at the 2014 SHOT show.

All new Desert Tech rifles, ammunition products and training courses can be viewed at the 2014 SHOT show at booth #31502

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the Desert Tech MDR!

DTA-MDR.jpg

I read Desert Tech turned down a $15 million contract with Pakistan for precision rifles.
They earned my support...

Sorry ....that is one butt ugly baby....whats with the sights ? could they be a little taller ? nothing there to get caught !

I haven't seen a bull pup semi auto that I would call pretty, and the sights look like an afterthought. It seems that is what you get with sights that can fold down, however. That said, the height of the sights is required to be able to use them. Notice that the top of the butt stock is level with the top of the rail. If the sights were lower, the shooter's cheek bone would impede with proper cheek weld. Take your favorite rifle and measure the distance from the top of the stock (where your cheek meets it) to the centerline of the optic or sight. I bet you will come up with a measurement that is very close to the height of the sights on this rifle...

I wonder if it shoots both small cartridges (223, 300BO, 6.5G) or/and large (308 based) cartridges?

+1 on this!

Interested in seeing which "5 calibers" they'll be supporting for the "conversions," but from some of the images of this system floating around on the Interweb already (as well as some alleged "insider" reports)...the magazine certainly LOOKS like a larger mag (i.e. - capable of 2.80" COAL class cartridges) in some pics. Time will tell (by Tues morn. anyway). ;)

Sorry ....that is one butt ugly baby....whats with the sights ? could they be a little taller ? nothing there to get caught !

I think its the most beautiful rifle I have ever seen. Of course we designed it. Each person likes his own flavor, mine is vanilla ice-cream with brownies, snickers, and carmel. :D

I think its the most beautiful rifle I have ever seen. Of course we designed it. Each person likes his own flavor, mine is vanilla ice-cream with brownies, snickers, and carmel. :D
True dat ! Just something about the sights ? That strikes me wrong ?
BUT ....I just ordered one of your DTA Coverts ....please forgive me for calling your baby ugly ? LOL

Where is the info on these? I looked on the website and didnt see anything.

What's the guesstimated price on one of these bad boys? How about conversion kits?

I want a Dta so bad that I am willing to put myself on a 5 year plan just to save up for it. Now you come up with this to! You're killing me.

Don't ever go to medical school... Doctors have no money. Yep I'm not joking... I'm poor. Don't let anyone you care about do it... It makes no financial sense at all.

I love .223, but if they enable caliber conversions to 6.8 SPC (and all of its wildcats - 220 Thunderbolt, 6mm Hagar, 5.68 DMR, etc.), Plus 6.5 Grendel and the .308 family of cartridges, this will be the single greatest semi-auto platform ever invented.

Besides, after they very justifiably flipped the Pakistan military the bird on selling them sniper rifles, I love these guys!

How about one chambered in 300 blackout with a 9" barrel. Just one question though. How is it to shoot suppressed?

Well if the trigger is good ( and it should be like SRS ) and it produces accuracy I might as well sign my house over to Nick. I wouldn't be great if my ever growing collection of Covert and SRS barrels would fit this rifle, ok so I have delusional dreams at times.

Ive made this easier to put your name on one of these. We have had some good interest in this rifle, based on some information we have the rifles will go for around $2200 for 5.56 based conversions and $2500 for 308 based caliber(s) The price is is a moving target right now so we may know something after the press conference on Tues afternoon at Shot.

If you want your name on one you can do it at Oakland Tactical. There is no deposit required and we should have some of the first ones available. You can do it here http://www.oaklandtactical.com/Desert-Tech-MDR-Bullpup-Rife_p_1677.html Prices subject to change.

Last edited:
Does that base price include a conversion or is it just the chassis? Any word on conversion pricing. I know it's a lot of speculation till Tuesday but my inner child can't wait!

The price is supposed to include a conversion and is supposed to be priced competitively with others in its class. Price is not solid only what I have been told for the target price. There will be an array of calibers and barrels I would think five is just the begining. The srs covers more and this should too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have always admired bull pups and on paper they seem to be the answer. But every bullpup semiauto that I have ever fired has had a terrible trigger. The bolt action DTA has been the first bullpup I ever fired with a good trigger so I expect them to have the problems already solved and we already know they know how to make accurate rifles. (The TAVOR has a terrible trigger so I do not think there will be any comparison) I am betting that DTA will hit another home run and I cannot wait to try one out!

How did you confirm that standard magazines news? I am super interested. So also, there is going to be a model for 5.56 based cartridges and 7.62x51 cartridges? I guess that means they will not be compatible with each other, which i kinda figured.

Guess I will have to buy one of each... first the 5.56 version... or maybe the 7.62 NATO... decisions decisions.

Wish I would have known about this before I picked up my Tavor. Great rifle but I wish the Tavor had a better trigger. I know the DesertTac will have a superb one.

I'll make sure i stop by at their booth at SHOT. Unfortunately, I am not going to make it there in time for the press event. The SRS is my primary precision platform, so if they manage to get a California compatible version of the MDR, I will definitely get one.

I suppose if I sell all my ARs I can get one MDR...

ILya

I'd like to see what kind of accuracy these are putting out and let all the bugs get worked out (if there are any) before I throw my name in the hat. I'm sure it is a quality product being that its coming from DTA, but that's just how I do business. Looking forward to hearing all the details!

If they are positioned as a precision rifle on the order of GAP-10 or other precision driven semi-auto then I want one. A multi caliber ambidextrous precision rifle is a dream for this lefty.

Awesome! Well, hopefully awesome. It would be amazing if you could just buy one chassis and then have a 5.56 kit and 7.62x51 kit... Dunno how they could do that though. SUPER Excited regardless

Any idea if theyll have conversions for .300 Win Mag on up? Id think its only gonna be .223 up to .308 sized cases but you never know.