• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech SRS A2. Good first long range gun or start with something less?

nomuzzleflash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2020
I am looking to add a long range gun to my collection. Have done research and have landed on 6.5 creedmoor as the caliber. I was sold on the Desert Tech SRS A2 but have recently had others say I can get a better gun for less money. Thoughts?? Would like a few other opinions. If it's worth the $$$, Im ok with biting the bullet (no pun intended) but with all things considered, would I be better looking a different direction?

Thanks in advance.

Dude honestly just go buy a tikka in 6.5cm either the ctr or the Tac a1 and buy a lot of ammo and go shoot. Take a class with the money you save.
I had an srs, accurate yes, ergo’s were good but the manual of arms takes a little getting used to. After shooting out the tikka barrel you’ll have a better idea of what you want.

Depends on whether you are just sticking with one caliber, or going for a handfull....and what your overall budget is, etc. I was in same position a few years ago, but being a lefty, I had a lot fewer non-custom choices. I narrowed it down to SRS-A1 or the Tikka Tac A1. I tracked down a left handed SRS-A1 (lefty Tac A1's had been announced but weren't available yet). I don't regret getting the SRS, but that Tikka Tac A1 6.5 still tempts me every now and then, even though my safe is beyond full. And yes, as stated above, manual of arms is a little different with the bolt throw and magazine location on the SRS. At this point, I've got 223, 6.5, 308, and 300 WM barrels. It's a bit porky, but so be it.

Depends on whether you are just sticking with one caliber, or going for a handfull....and what your overall budget is, etc. I was in same position a few years ago, but being a lefty, I had a lot fewer non-custom choices. I narrowed it down to SRS-A1 or the Tikka Tac A1. I tracked down a left handed SRS-A1 (lefty Tac A1's had been announced but weren't available yet). I don't regret getting the SRS, but that Tikka Tac A1 6.5 still tempts me every now and then, even though my safe is beyond full. And yes, as stated above, manual of arms is a little different with the bolt throw and magazine location on the SRS. At this point, I've got 223, 6.5, 308, and 300 WM barrels. It's a bit porky, but so be it.

I'm a little of the "buy once, cry once" mentality and although I will start 6.6CM, would like to get the 338 Lapua and they also make a .223 aftermarket as well that I would end up with. Knowing me, my collection may look a lot like yours. I would really like one gun to shoot come competitions with a couple buddies of mine yet still be able to go on an elk hunt if I chose to. I truly had decided on the SRS and was just up in the air on optics but now they have me rethinking everything.

I appreciate your input. Swapping caliber and keeping my zero really is attractive to me but that won't come into play until I lick my sticker shock wounds from the initial purchase. Then I can look at additional barrels.

Reactions: 65x55guy
I have an older SRS, and it is a solid rifle. I like it. Accurate and maneuverable. It is heavy if you compare it to a short action, but quite light for a platform able to handle 338 lapua. Drop in barrels are more expensive than most prefits, it you were comparing to a Remington 700 action. If I found a deal on one of the latest gen rifles I’d be tempted to pic up another.

You may want to also look at the AI AXMC. Don’t have one, can’t speak to it other than basic handling and seeing them first and shoot well.

Problem with accurate rifles is there is always another one. 😆 A Terminus Zeus action is calling my name now...

Reactions: nomuzzleflash
Better is subjective.
They are a great bullpup platform.

Negatives;
Bolt throw is funny since it's a bullpup and further back than normal.
They are heavy for what they are.
Price

Positives;
Very compact
Barrel change system
Trigger is pretty good.

Owned A1 and now have A2, bought to replace multiple production class long range rifles.

love the options and mastering a single trigger and optic, and total length is awesome.

it does allow me to swap cartridges easily and less expensively. If you are inclined to say “dammit, I really need a 28 Nosler” then you can do it for a lot less than a brand new total build.

but if you’re going to shoot 6.5 CM for fun or maybe a little hunting, I don’t know that this is the easiest option. Not bagging on it at all.

someone may have mentioned, but you can piece it all together (without optic) for $2800-3000 with used A1 chassis and new bolt, magazine and Barrel from ES Tactical. Or save even more and buy a used barrel for $600-750 off here in the PX.

I love my A2 Covert. No regrets. Of course there are trade offs but for what I wanted it’s great. Compact. Accurate. Multi caliber. Let me get a high end scope (single platform, one scope). Use for target, competition and hunting.

good advice above. Try to shoot one before buying, just to be sure it works for you.

Thanks for all the replies. I do need to find a way to get behind one. I appreciate all the advice.

A little late to this thread, but I just picked up an A2 chassis. I’m not a big long range precision shooter, but I wouldn’t rule out doing an occasional PRS match. I’m more of a USPSA/multigun guy because that is what is convenient for me where I live. I’m also interested in hunting occasionally.

I’m also running out of space in my safe. This allows me to buy one chassis that takes up less space, and I can change calibers easily and cost-effectively, and I only have to buy one optic, making it easier to stomach dropping $4k on something I’m not going to use a ton.

If I was a serious PRS shooter, I’d get some custom deal, but for my current needs, the A2 is perfect.

SRS A2 338 lapua 26” conversion… barrel threaded in 3/4x24 or 5/8x24? I’m seeing conflicting information.

Have some experience with A1's between myself and a friend. Some thoughts. Very accurate, and just as accurate as any custom rifle with a custom barrel spun by TS customs, SAC etc., trigger is pretty decent (A1 has a rounded trigger shoe I was kinda mehhh over), bolt throw isn't that smooth and is right under your cheek however you get used it. Feeding isn't always perfect, have to run the bolt. Mine didnt single feed well. Balance was excellent and works off a tripod or barricade well. Best multiple caliber quick barrel change system on the market in my opinion, barrel change zeros are repeatable.

Also it was my first bolt gun. You can start with whatever you want.