• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

designing a firearm

Intrepid4576

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2011
Honesdale, PA, USA
Ive recently been playing with the idea to design and produce a firearm, but i have no idea where to start.

I have a few idea's floating around in my head that i would like to start manifesting

What im looking for at this point is any info on how to actually go about bringing those idea's into form...If i have "blueprints" on what i want it to be should i try and find a company that can build what i want? or is there equipment that would allow me to form the raw materials in a garage / home environment?

any input or reading material that can be offered will be appreciated
smile.gif

I understand this is a major endeavor and very well may require alot of money

I would like to eventually start selling some so i would even consider taking out a business loan if that much money was required

Really just brain storming this point in time
smile.gif

Re: designing a firearm

Well you'll need some modeling software right off. I use Pro/E but it's $10,000/license so that's probably out. There are several free/cheap programs out there that are just as good though.

I have a buddy who is a fellow mechanical engineer and is currently redesigning a firearm, it's pretty interesting. Prototyping and R&D is expensive though so you're looking at dropping some significant money on this project. The machining and materials, heat treating, etc. gets costly real fast.

In short, you've got to make the drawing, send it off to a job shop to be made and then you put it together and pull the trigger and then start all over again with revisions.

I just left that industry just over two years ago so feel free to PM me and we can hit the details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In short, you've got to make the drawing, send it off to a job shop to be made and then you put it together and pull the trigger and then start all over again with revisions.

I just left that industry just over two years ago so feel free to PM me and we can hit the details. </div></div>

Ok cool man thanks for the info / offer to help
smile.gif

Ill start coming up with some drawings over the next few weeks

A good friend of mine invented the Calico Weapons System,and most recently the SRM Arms 16 Round Semi-Automatic Shotgun.
The R&D is a crazy process not to mention a long process.Every little piece has to be milled,fitted,tested,pulled re-milled,tested,etc...
It has to be a "labor of love"as he said.

And you will likely need a Class II (or similar) manufacturers license.

ATF has some pretty strict rules when it comes to production. I believe that you can design and prototype and build 'yourself' something. But there is a line at which you could be making improvised firearms, guns that lack serial numbers, etc. etc. etc.

It just bears looking in to before you start. At least reading the regs, which are online, may give you a basis for understanding where your designs become something that is covered by regulations. And you don't want to cross any lines... The BATFE has no sense of humor that they are aware of.

The world needs more good gun designers! Definitely pursue your ideas!

Cheers,

Sirhr