• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desperately looking for a 6.5 Grendel type 2 AR bolt.

meyersa88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2012
Houston, TX
As the title says, I'm desperately looking for a 6.5 grendel bolt. My barrel should be coming in the next 8 weeks. Due to midwayusa cancelling my original order that came with bolt and barrel, I'm now on the search for a bolt so when I get my barrel I can actually shoot the damn thing.... Would a gunsmith be able to recess a 7.62x39 bolt face back .01"? I can find 7.62 bolts but not a 6.5 bolt. Any help would be great.

As the title says, I'm desperately looking for a 6.5 grendel bolt. My barrel should be coming in the next 8 weeks. Due to midwayusa cancelling my original order that came with bolt and barrel, I'm now on the search for a bolt so when I get my barrel I can actually shoot the damn thing.... Would a gunsmith be able to recess a 7.62x39 bolt face back .01"? I can find 7.62 bolts but not a 6.5 bolt. Any help would be great.

Go to the direct source of the Grendel...not sure if they're in stock, but, it's worth a try?

Alexander Arms Online Store - 6.5 Grendel Bolt Assembly - Bolts and Extractors by Alexander Arms®

Alexander Arms Online Store - 6.5 Grendel Hard-Use Bolt Assembly - Bolts and Extractors by Alexander Arms®

I ordered one through Alexander Arms about a month ago and nothing yet. They did not give me any estimation for a delivery time, either.

I put in an order with AA about a month ago as well and still nothing. Les Baer Custom told me they have .264 LBC bolts in stock. And since my BHW barrel is a .264 LBC I'm thinking of getting it from them since they said they have them in stock. Also, I have a Les Baer bolt carrier so it would be fitting that I got a bolt from them as well.

Meyers, did Les Bear say they would sell individual components? I called a couple months ago and they said they would not. Hopefully that has changed I would like to get a barrel from them.

Not sure, I'll give them a call.

Edit: Just got off the phone with them. Ordered me a new complete bolt for $80 + $7 for shipping. Should be here next week.

Last edited:
I have a bolt, and lothar Walther barrel on a rifle I want to convert to 5.56x45. If I could work out a swap for a 16-20 inch barrel with a threaded muzzle, I would have a number of extra grendel parts.

Only other AR barrel I have is my 16" on my S&W MP15, factory barrel. Probably not what you're looking for, but thanks any ways.

I will jump on this bandwagon as well, I need a type 1 bolt for a build I'm trying to get done before deer season!

I'm running a 6mm Fat Rat that uses a new production AA 6.5 Grendel bolt. Just out of my own need for education, what's the differance between the Type 1 and Type 2 bolt?

FYI I know AA just filled back orders for bolts that were placed 6 months ago. My upper was delayed because the barrel maker couldn't get bolts and he chambers them specifically to the bolt.

On a side note the makers of another caliber similar to what I have called the 6mm AR Turbo 40 Imp has bolts made for him by someone else and normally list them in stock on his site. They may cross over to your needs. Just google the caliber and you'll find it. I'm on my phone so links are a little difficult.

The first time I saw the terms "Type I" and "Type II" was from Black Hole Weaponry. They originally had bolts and headspaced barrels for a .124" recess, then went with what AA uses: a .136" recess.

The only Grendel industry standard is the .136", which will have the most availability of parts to support it. The reason the bolt face is recessed is so the extractor can keep a thick enough lip, since the Grendel/7.62x39/6mm PPC cases have a much thicker rim than 5.56 does. This choice in bolt face depth was actually pioneered by Colt when they did the 7.62x39 Sporter II in the 1980's. There is a lot of engineering sense behind it. The after-market just figured they could use the 5.56 bolt face depth and all would be well, but the trail of broken 7.62x39 extractors is a testament to that idea's usefulness.

There is currently a Grendel bolt group-buy going on, where an OEM BCG manufacturer with a long history in the OEM BCG business is tooling up specifically for us. I think an ASTM 9310 bolt is in the works right now. I spoke with the guy running the machine shop, and he is using his engineers to make sure that they approach this correctly. They have made 7.62x39 BCG"s before with a deeper recessed face, that were torture-tested in full-auto applications.

Last edited:
Please allow me to intrude..I have a new 6 RAT upper that a guy in Portland made and he used my old but unmarked bolt I had from an earlier RAT that was supplied by AR Performance. (I believe the builder got it there) The gun shoots flawlessly, but I have looked for a spare bolt that will work and I can get one from AR-X. They offer a bolt with a .125 clearance which is what they recommend for the 6AR and they also have a bolt with the .135 clearance. I measured the bolt I have and it appears to be .125 and it has had probably 3,000 rounds through it. So, what should I order?
Thanks, John