• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Detachable Mags - Benefit?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I really like the look of detachable mags, but for my shooting off a bench, not sure there is any compelling reason for them. Fact is, on my AR15, the mags are a pain to remove since they hit the bench before clearing the mag well (unless I use a 5 round mag) But, maybe there is some other advantage to having a mag, other than quick reloads. A decision on whether to have a mag or not will determine whether I consider a chassis or a cheaper stock without a mag.

Thanks.

- Phil

Re: Detachable Mags - Benefit?

its alot better than loading a internal mag when your in a hurry. just drop out one and put in ten more. i went to a tactical match and had to load the last shots needed and the other guys just put in a new mag.

I am just shooting off a bench in a non-competitive environment, so speed is not a concern. I can see how it would be in other situations.

- Phil

Other than the obvious tactical coolness factor, there is the oft-overlooked advantage of quick <span style="font-style: italic">unloading</span>. Popping the mag release is a lot easier than racking the bolt 3-4 times.

Good point, when my firing range says "1 minute to cease fire" and I just loaded 5 rounds in the mag. I am used to just dropping the mag out of the AR15 and ejecting the round in the chamber.

- Phil

For your purpose, faster loading and unloading... Looking cool doesn't really do a whole lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pritch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not having to shift your face off the cheek peice so u can maintain the exact same eye relief </div></div>
Why would you have to shift your face on the cheekpiece? Both DBM and non-DBM can be loaded easily and still stay on the scope.

Keith

my buddy needs to see what hes loading. so i can see lifting your cheek. he does every time

If u don't need the quick reload.... Save your money

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If u don't need the quick reload.... Save your money </div></div>
what he said. my bdl works great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than the obvious tactical coolness factor, there is the oft-overlooked advantage of quick <span style="font-style: italic">unloading</span>. Popping the mag release is a lot easier than racking the bolt 3-4 times. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good point, when my firing range says "1 minute to cease fire" and I just loaded 5 rounds in the mag. I am used to just dropping the mag out of the AR15 and ejecting the round in the chamber.

- Phil </div></div>
Unless you're shooting a non-floorplate "blind" magazine rifle such as a Remington 700 ADL, you don't have to cycle the bolt to get the rounds out. You just hit the floorplate release and catch the rounds in your hand (as with a Remington 700 BDL). Unless your shooting or plan to shoot tactical matches in the future I'd just go with a floorplate-type action and stock.

And <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Phil3</span></span> -

In furtherance of what you have surmised and <span style="font-style: italic">j-newton</span> pointed-out, a the benefit of a DBM is really speed of reloading. Tactical matches are typically time-sensitive so people running non-DBM rifles can be at a serious disadvantage because top-loading rifles are much slower to load than DBM-equipped rifles. For example, say you have to run to a firing point, load the (cold) rifle, then locate and engage three (3) targets, placing two shots on each target. Thats' six shots.

If you're running a top-loading rifle it will probably take you <span style="font-style: italic">at least</span> five seconds to load four or five rounds, and assuming a solid hit with every round, you'll still need to load at least one round after you run the rifle dry. Then you'll take another couple of seconds to pull a round from a loop and chamber it, hopefully without taking you eyes off the target. And thats' without fumbling any rounds. Remember, you're under time pressure.

On the other hand, a DBM-equipped rifle can load five or more rounds in about two seconds, allowing you to get on engage the targets faster, saving valuable seconds. And if you're running a DBM rifle and using a 10-round magazine you won't have to reload during the stage saving a few more seconds there as well.

Keith