• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

determining if I got a "good" Leica CRF 1600B

scudzuki

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2012
Philadelphia suburbs
After some research I picked the Leica over the Swaro Laser Guide because of the narrow laser dispersion.
I was a little concerned after reading reports of some units functioning far worse than others.
In one thread I found, the OP sent a CRF 1600B back to CameraLand NY as it would not range reliably much beyond 1000 yards.
An employee of CLNY tested a handful of 1600B units and found that some would range buildings only to 950 yards, while others would range all the way out to 1500 or so, and the OP was shipped one of these cherry picked units and lived happily ever after.
Well, I made that last part up.

When I called CLNY to order, the fella I was transferred to told me that Leica had eliminated the issue and all current manufacture units perform "up to snuff".

As it turns out I was talking to Doug, and Doug has gone to great lengths to get me some incredible deals on equipment... not the hard sell type.

I finally remembered to bring the 1600B along today in my travels to put it through its paces.

It was a somewhat bright afternoon, pretty clear, with some snow still on the ground.
I could routinely range buildings 760 yards away but when I tried to hit another house farther out (another 200 yards or so) or the trees up on the ridge, another few hundred yards, I got nothing.
Of course the trees have lost all their leaves, so maybe I'm expecting too much there, but the house presented a target 4 mils square at least.
I then turned the CRF on a building in the other direction and got sporadic hits at 800 and change, but 60% of the time I got nothing.
The outside walls I was scanning were at least 7 mils x 7 mils and I was supporting my arms on the hood of my car.

In another direction there was a lone tree with no leaves but a pretty good size trunk, but at 1300 + yards still not a very big target.
In scan mode I got a range of 1348 one time only, and I tried for a while, half a dozen scans and a dozen single scan attempts trying to reproduce the one successful reading.

I then drove a few miles to an overpass on a highway but, once there, I could not range one single highway road sign, which were quite large at around 400 yards... maybe the nature of the paint they use on the signs, though.

From the overpass I could see a building about 3/4 mile away, and I had an unobstructed shot at 2 large yellow brick walls, both at about a 45 degree angle (I was facing the corner).
I could not get one single range out of dozens of attempts. Again I was able to range a closer building (600 yards) as well as a D-9 Cat (or something close) parked outside, but not consistently, maybe a 50% success ratio.

Am I expecting too much?

Anybody in the SE PA (Chester County-ish) area have a working unit I could benchmark mine against?

Joe

Last edited:
Skudzuki,
I just received a brand new 1600B from Leica as a replacement for a 1600 which decided to create it's own micro weather system inside (fog). Leica replaced without question with the newer 1600B. GREAT customer service.
The new unit seems to work fine but I honestly don't remember if I have ranged beyond 1000 yards with this new unit. The older one never had any issues at those distances.
I'll run a few tests and report back to you. If push comes to shove, I might just send you my unit and you can compare.
I would however, contact the folks at their customer service if your unit is problematic. My guess is they'll replace with a new unit. I'll get back to you shortly.

Assuming there aren't other factors effecting your ranging and you are using the unit correctly, there must be something off. THe only reason I say this is because my older 1200 will range everything including trees up to 800 easily. And one of my shooting friends has a newer 1600B. It works amazing. I was able to range a hillside covered in trees at 2000y. It took around 5-6 attempts but it ranged it. His will easily range our 12x24" steel at 800y almost every time even without a tripod or rest. I used his to range a toyota at 1585y last month. Again, it took a few tries but had consistent readings when it did. I've since moved along to a Terrapin, but am keeping my old 1200 for hunting.

In my opinion there must be something wrong with it, I have the original 1600 model not the B and it still reaches out to mid 1900's during good conditions. i have never used the scan mode but sometimes i would have to range 2-3 times to get the 1600-1950 range. I would get ahold of CS and tell them you want a replacement before the time flies by and the warranty runs out. They really are a super impressive unit and i have loved mine so far.

I'm with Cannonman. My first 1600 (non-B) was only ranging houses out to 750-900. I would have kept my POS Leupold. Sent it back-received prompt and reliable service. My new 1600 (still non-B) routinely picks up my 19x35 steel target at 1689 (confirmed range with GPS) and in proper conditions will pull mid to high 19's. I also never use the scan feature. I obtain my best readings on hot days at dawn or dusk, so you might do the obvious things: change batteries, try a variety of distant targets at different lighting conditions, etc. Stuff I'm sure you thought of anyway...

I gave it another try on Sunday.
It was a dull gray day with light rain falling.
I kept moving closer the treeline up on the ridge until I got my first 1550-ish yard reading. Apparently my internal rangefinder sucks.
I then ran off 20 or so attempts at various spots up on the ridge returning distances from 1350 to 1550 with only 3 failures.
Did I mention it was raining?

In the meantime a Hide member/Leica employee shot me a PM with his contact info (after reading this thread) and we spoke a bit.
If I'm not out of the woods, I'm confident I will be.
I also got a tripod adapter at half price from CLNY so I'm gonna try hitting some small targets, too.

Thanks for all the guidance, guys, and Merry Christmas.

Joe

I sold my 1600(A) for a Terrapin, but in some ways, I wished I still had the Leica. The ergonomics are better and it is more compact. My problem came when I tried to range relatively small objects at close to moderate distances and had a difficult time getting a consistent reading without making several tries. Without a doubt, the performance of the Terrapin is better from a rangefinding perspective, but the Leica is so much smaller and easier to use... it might be a tad better for hunting, or at least it fills the need well enough that there is no difference.

Enjoy your Leica 1600.