• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Devcon question

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    All, I've got a stock coming that fits a Rem700 SA and I have a Defiance SA with longer tenon. This stock has a mini-chassis, and so I'll have to add a dab of bedding compound inside the recoil-lug's well, to fill the "gap" between the lug on my action and the face of the well. The smith that built this rifle on my McRees did this and it worked great...now I don't have that McRees anymore.

I cannot find a local (Denver, CO) gunsmith who can do this in time for me to shoot the Sniper's Hide Cup, so I'm going to have to do it myself...gulp!

I've seen Devcon tubes at the local Do It Best, but not the 10110 Plasti-steel kind that's been recommended. Any ideas where I can purchase? Any other options/ideas I can try to get this done asap? PC-7? I still have load testing to do and time is running out!

Thanks in advance!

All, I've got a stock coming that fits a Rem700 SA and I have a Defiance SA with longer tenon. This stock has a mini-chassis, and so I'll have to add a dab of bedding compound inside the recoil-lug's well, to fill the "gap" between the lug on my action and the face of the well. The smith that built this rifle on my McRees did this and it worked great...now I don't have that McRees anymore.

I cannot find a local (Denver, CO) gunsmith who can do this in time for me to shoot the Sniper's Hide Cup, so I'm going to have to do it myself...gulp!

I've seen Devcon tubes at the local Do It Best, but not the 10110 Plasti-steel kind that's been recommended. Any ideas where I can purchase? Any other options/ideas I can try to get this done asap? PC-7? I still have load testing to do and time is running out!

Thanks in advance!

I am not too far from ya, I have both the J.B. weld and the steel Decon. if you want to pick it up
    I will be shooting Raton this weekend if you are there.

I get if from Grainger (PN 5A453), I have a near new tub and will leave it at TriggerTime tomorrow morning. Use what you need and return whatever is left whenever you get back to TT.

I only did one rifle with this tub, new its 0.9 lbs prob .75 lbs in it now. Should be more than enough. Devcon 10110

I've done exactly what you're doing with the PC-7 stuff. IT looks smells and acts just like Devcon. I had good results with it if you can't find Devcon

Make sure you tape up the recoil lug and after it starts to set up pull the action and trim any mess before it hardens

I've seen a bedding vid where someone taped the recoil lug, but if I'm applying release agent (shoe polish), do I still need the tape?

And how long do I let it set before it hardens too much, but after it's hardened just enough?

Yes, you need to tape it, otherwise the bedding will match the recoil lug so perfectly that it will be a nightmare to get the receiver in and out (you will constantly chip the bedding). As far as popping it out wet, I don't recommend that as you'll most likely ruin your bedding job by popping it apart too early. Happens to lots of people (myself included, once).

I would let the Devcon cure overnight, then pop it apart. If you really need to trim it, I would use a razor blade / sandpaper or as a last resort a dremel (if you don't have access to a mill). If you choose to use a dremel, go very slow and brace your hands well, a single slip and your finished product can turn very ugly. Try to use as little Devcon as possible and you won't have much clean up afterwards.

I let it set overnight. If you tape it right you will not have to worry. Just clean off any excess that squishes out with a pile of q tips. pulling it out too early will ruin your job.
    Remember to put a tape doughnut on barrel to keep it from oozing too far down the barrel channel.

Last edited:
    Like he said, tape the lug like two pieces thick so you can remove it later. They are both right, rather than risk pulling it early, have lots of q tips and paper towels ready. When you drop it in clean up whatever squishes out.

Tape the barrel so the action sits in the stock level and doesn't tip under the weight of the barrel.

If I might add a little more confusion, don't tape the lug on the surface that's going to transfer the recoil energy from the receiver to the stock. Use release agent on that surface. But tape the edges and front side of the lug with 2 or 3 layers of tape to create a little space around the lug on the surfaces that don't matter.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

OK, I get what you all mean, it makes sense. One question...can I use black Kiwi shoe polish? My barreled action is already Cerakoted black so I'm not worrying about staining, and I'm filling in a black mini-chassis...or is the neutral color of a different chemical make-up that releases better?

Lol, lots of ways to skin a cat, eh? As long as you aren't worried about the dyes in the shoe polish, I really don't think it matters one way or the other, just make sure you get good coverage with the polish and buff it nicely and you won't have any trouble.

What the hell?!?!?!

Thanks everyone for the help/advice, but it turns out that my action fit perfectly in this mini-chassis. I thought the Defiance Rebel had a longer tenon than a Remington. Maybe it's a difference between the McRees and a Manners? There was definitely Devcon added to fill the void behind the recoil lug in my McRees I had, but it wasn't necessary in this Manners.

I did a mockup yesterday with my daughter's play-doh to see how much Devcon I'd need and it smooshed it all out and there was none behind the lug. All I had to do with the stock was open the barrel channel and cut back the area around the ejection port as it was shorter than my action's ejection port. It turned out nice and it was satisfying doing the work myself. I used a 1" dowel with a piece of 120 grit sandpaper and a 1 3/8" pipe with the same. I still need to buy a torx bit large enough for the action screws so I can torque it down proper, but here she is.

Roggom, I want to thank you again for loaning me the Devcon even though it turned out I didn't need it. Thanks a million!

I am going to bed an action today, so I did a test of the Devcon last night.
    The stuff is only good for a year or two, so if it has been a few months, I always test it.
    Only buy a year's supply at a time, and write the date you got it on the containers.

Also Devcon will not only not go off if it is old NOR if it is cold at the time of mixing. I store the Devcon in the house, not the cold shop. It can harden in the cold shop after being mixed while warm.

If you hate fitting stocks, you will really hate digging out partially hard epoxy.

Devcon is no better than some cheap epoxy once hard. It is all ~ 20kpsi compression. The advantage of Devcon is extra work time and the viscosity.

Last edited:
    Glad it worked out for you. Now get your load development done and let me know if you need a chrono