• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Diagonal Stringing

Re: Diagonal Stringing

If at first you don't succeed...Fuck it.

It it draws criticism...Whatever.

As a method, the above have their flaws.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jay: RL25 is temp sensative and may be part of the problem. What are you build specs, scope, and how are you shooting the rifle, i.e., free recoil, bags, bipod etc.? </div></div>

All this relevant information would have been useful three pages ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bottom line: Not sure I would want a youth interested in the shooting sports to read this rubbish.</div></div>

Don't know what he's talking about, I'm having a great time...

For the love of God, there are a couple simple things you can do to improve your situation: post a legitimate 5x5 target (hell, at this point I don't care if it's a 3x3), tell us more about whoever is building your rifles and the relationship he has to have to the Lord to put out such fine rifles, and quit talking back to these guys, because they will only strive to piss you off more. Do the first two and the third will solve itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jay,

Engaging you in a civil discussion and asking for reasonable information is tantamount to

head-against-wall.jpg
</div></div>

That's funny - my wife could have posted that. </div></div>

Perhaps your comment is more telling than you understand. Food for thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and quit talking back to these guys, because they will only strive to piss you off more. Do the first two and the third will solve itself. </div></div>It's a bit mean-spirited, but at least we have some analysis now taking place on this Thread.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If at first you don't succeed...Fuck it.

It it draws criticism...Whatever.

As a method, the above have their flaws.
wink.gif
</div></div>

when you don't like being questioned.....send a Mod Alert.

That was memorable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when you don't like being questioned.....send a Mod Alert.</div></div>I should have added that one.

It's the moral equivalent of picking the fight, then running to the teacher to be the first to complain.

I believe that I speak for most of us here when I say that group you posted a picture of is what a lot of our rifles can do. And most of us are happy with that. If your searching for ways to fine tune your ammo you should read that article again. It talked a lot about fine tuning and how to oper or close up a group. If you want some advise I would sign up on the bench rest forums and see what that have to say.

Amen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jay: RL25 is temp sensative and may be part of the problem. What are you build specs, scope, and how are you shooting the rifle, i.e., free recoil, bags, bipod etc.? </div></div>

All this relevant information would have been useful three pages ago.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a better than average group than what it has done so far
25h08x5.jpg

3 rounds, 100 meters.
</div></div>

No4THPS174Gr100m190411.jpg

Jay, get rid of the rifle...it's clearly a dog and no better than my war-weary '44 No4 Enfield with a 70 year old x3.5 scope with 1 MOA clicks!
wink.gif

The two targets above are fairly meaningless in isolation. Although you post yours as indicative of a problem, to many that would look pretty good!

But the target I post was an exercise (5 @ 100m, click value check, off a bench with front rest) to check a specific scope issue (which it did to my satisfaction). Of course the Enfield isn't a .275 MOA rifle "all day,every day", nor can I guarantee to make it so, but some might interpret the target differently. Some may even say it shows vertical stringing in the main body of the "group"...?

For your issue, you cannot "know" your rifle is capable of anything. A combination of parts might be an indicator of or create an expectation of potential, or you just might like to think/genuinely believe/suspect that your prized rifle may be capable of a certain accuracy (many of us are guilty of this I'm sure)....but that does not <span style="text-decoration: underline">prove</span> anything.

As for the stringing....I see a three shot cloverleaf on your target, the bottom two are offset, but is that "diagonal stringing"? If you know your capabilities/rifle and can say 100% it is, then I respect your abilities and confidence in them.

IMHO you need more shots per group and more targets to really know/show/prove the point and that a problem exists...not only to yourself, but certainly to the guys here who you asked for help if this thread is to be productive for you.

Don't waste time on the "handbags at dawn" routine, it's clearly counter-productive.

Good luck with the problem.

jayman, I have experienced vertical stringing before, try holding the fleshlight out a little further to allow more time for the baby batter to stabalize first, hope this helps

Guys

We all know (well atleast most of us) know that when people say there rifle shoots in the 1's, 2's, 3's,etc. what they really meant to say was there rifle HAS. I'm pretty sure all of us have probablly shot a .1 five shot group in our life. Does it do it every day all day, day in and day out? FUCK NO!!!!

Hell I've shot a .1 group with my 16" barrel AR. Would I come on here and say its a .1 rifle. NOPE. I wouldn't even try and pass off its a .5 rifle. Wouldn't bet very much all day every day no matter what it's a 1moa rifle.

My point is at one point of my shooting life I prob thought it was. Give these guys some time and they will figure it out (if they actually pop a few primers ). We started somewhere too.

PS my prev post was supposed to say CANTING. That chanting shit is for the birds and I never had much success with it
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beyond all this discussion Jay, you can honestly tell nothing about how a rifle groups with 3 rounds.

Generate a fourth degree polynomial with three points.

There are far TOO MANY unknowns to answer your question (assuming there is a question to answer)
</div></div>

Here's a perfect example on why this ^^^ is true. This 3 round group was shot with my Marlin 45/70 @ 100y using a 3.5x leupy scout scope and factory hunting rounds during initial sight in when I first shot the darn thing,

IMG_0807.jpg

This does not mean I have a sub moa rifle, it just means I got LUCKY! I think I would have better odds of winning the super lotto before I could reproduce that group using my 45/70.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We're looking at 3 round groups. And yes I know the rifle will do it, but thanks for asking. </div></div>

If you "know" this to be true then there should be something that supports that knowledge. Perhaps you can show me the flaw in that logic?

That sure looks like you are saying it can do it. Or perhaps I am reading that wrong? </div></div>

I am saying I am convinced it can do it, based on a similar build, albiet different caliber. My main point is I know it can shoot better, hence the search for the cause of the peculiar stringing. This is a better than average group than what it has done so far
25h08x5.jpg

3 rounds, 100 meters.
</div></div>

This is ridiculous. This photo tells you two things. Jack and shit and Jack's left town. You can't come to ANY kind of conclusion with a 3 shot grouping. Do a few more groupings with a larger number of shots fired and you might be able to see a trend. What you've posted shows nothing meaningful. I'm surprised that a .1 all day every day shooter doesn't know this.

[/quote]

IMG_0807.jpg

[/quote]

You've got some verticle stringing going on there.......................

Hey guys. I have no idea how this thread has dragged out this long. Few people here read the first post - I am not asking for someone to diagnose the problem with my rifle. I am asking for someone who has experienced diagonal stringing to share their experiences.

The picture I posted was the only one I had on my phone. It is a good group - but imagine if you can the group spread wider along a diagonal line (same direction)and you have an idea of what I am talking about. I reviewed targets yesterday that show this pattern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want some advise I would sign up on the bench rest forums and see what that have to say. </div></div>

The smartest thing anyone has replied with yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im in agreements with chiller. I read that article and have met one of the men in that article, Don Geraci. He lives here in independence la and he's the smith who built my .308 bolt gun. I have personally seen what this old fart can do with a rifle and it is amazing. At 300 yards his groups are a lot tighter than mine are at 100. I have witnessed this man shoot and can vouch for his skill. My best group ever at 100 was 5 shots at about .375". If theres someone out there doing .1 moa with a 300 win mag there better be proof or the bullshit flag will wave for all to see from me </div></div>

I am the OP. Please point out where I said I am shooting 0.1 MOA with a 300 WM? I said I was convinced the rifle can do it. The claim is based on a similar build I own in 260 Rem. I don't really care who in cyberspace believes me or not. <span style="font-weight: bold">And if I told you the builder many more may agree.</span> But it's a moot point. My question is if anyone had experienced regular diagonal stringing before and what they did about it.

Thanks anyway. </div></div>

Remarks like the one above are what makes us call BS. You KNOW the gun will shoot in the ones but it does not. Logic would imply, because you're shooting off a beach/rest, the gun or you does not shoot in the .1s. Why don't we get to know the magical gun smith or barrel maker? Again BS.

Why would you come on a tac rifle board looking to resolve "stringing" in a three round group in the .3s? Again BS.

How about this. If you want to get some answers from us have some damn respect for the people on the board and post something useful. If you really wanted help I would start by posting a video of you, and one of the target, as you shoot five ten round groups. This will give us a better idea of whats going on.

Then what type of barrel you are using, What prep work have you done to the brass, What bullet prep, What the chamber specs are, What the neck clearance is, neck tension and what you are jumping.

Then maybe let us in on your special gun smith and barrel maker. I suspect you will not and you'll continue to post BS in hopes of WHAT?

Let me help your stringing issues.

- Your barrel sucks
- you can't shoot in the .1s
*can you tell me how much you bullet moves per 1mph of wind at 100 yards
*can you tell me the affect of mirage on you POI
*can you show me a five round group with anything you've shot in the .1s
*(I'm sure non of the above is an issues as your .260 shoots in the .1s all day)

- your gun is not that accurate
* Poor bedding
* cheap stock
* inadequate tolerances
* .1 MOA is within margin of movement of your scope

- your loads are not that accurate
*Brass not uniform
*Neck tension not consistent
*Seating depth not consistent
*the fact it is a 300WM
*you bullet prep is not done
* you not in OBT

Now go away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have tried to be soft about it and let you think it though. Let me be BLUNT.
If and that is a big IF you can hit in the .1 “any day….any time” you are on the wrong forum. There are multiple BR guys out there who hold significant records that would not make that claim.

I know call me silly.....

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek077/

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek0101/

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek071/
</div></div>

Chiller - do you have any experiences of diagonal stringing to share? No? Then please leave.
Or are we just going to spam everything in sight tonight?
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hey shithead, you need to quit typing what your cock holster is saying. .1 MOA consistently? You are full of shit. Wanna make some real money? Start taking bets from people on here. We'll get someone near you to validate your claim. Money will be in escrow. If you don't want to do that, go back to giving rimjobs at truck stops. Pull your pants up and put away the lotion. This isn't fantasy here. If you shot that well, you wouldn't be asking us wtf you are doing wrong. You fail at the interweb son. The only thing you are diagonally stringing are the beads hanging out of your ass.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step up or shut up. I have a $1,000.00 to start things off.</span> </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'm waiting Jaysuxdix10x</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys. I have no idea how this thread has dragged out this long. Few people here read the first post - I am not asking for someone to diagnose the problem with my rifle. I am asking for someone who has experienced diagonal stringing to share their experiences. </div></div>

I had it happen a while back at 100yds. First shot was dead center, second was a little bit up and to the right (imagine at a 40-45 degree angle) about .2 inches away from the first shot (center to center). Third was between the two but on the same line. Fourth was down and to the left of the initial shot again on the same line barely touching the first hole. Fifth shot was touching the first hole but about .25 inches high. The total group was about .6 MOA when it was all said and done.

I had about a third of my groups that day do something similar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want some advise I would sign up on the bench rest forums and see what that have to say. </div></div>

The smartest thing anyone has replied with yet. </div></div>

25ib52f.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
tard.jpg
</div></div>

Sloth LOVE Chunk!

I have read through this entire post, but I still do not understand what Diagonal Stringing is. I personally just don't get why 0.3 MOA is a problem. I also don't understand how one could achieve 0.1 MOA. I am probably just way out of my league for even posting in this thread, but I am curious and I do not understand what this is all about. So if it is not to much trouble, could someone please explain this to me and show me an example of exactly what Diagonal Stringing is? Not that it would ever pertain to me, but I would like to have a better understanding of this.

I have a Surgeon that and if I do my part will punch one hole groups @ hundred yards, or what looks to be one hole. I have never measured the one hole group but I would figure that it's around a .25 MOA group. For me that is just fine and I personally don't see how it could get any better. But what the hell do I know.

Diagonal Stringing = A waste of three pages on this forum and countless peoples time.

I have more than one Surgeon. Life is good Aye?
I love my 260. Never shot it at 100 except to get the scope sighted in. I got .4 MOA at 285 yards.

Nothing in this thread that we need to worry about
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a Surgeon that and if I do my part will punch one hole groups @ hundred yards, or what looks to be one hole. I have never measured the one hole group but I would figure that it's around a .25 MOA group. For me that is just fine and I personally don't see how it could get any better. But what the hell do I know. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayman_10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: s.i.t.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im in agreements with chiller. I read that article and have met one of the men in that article, Don Geraci. He lives here in independence la and he's the smith who built my .308 bolt gun. I have personally seen what this old fart can do with a rifle and it is amazing. At 300 yards his groups are a lot tighter than mine are at 100. I have witnessed this man shoot and can vouch for his skill. My best group ever at 100 was 5 shots at about .375". If theres someone out there doing .1 moa with a 300 win mag there better be proof or the bullshit flag will wave for all to see from me </div></div>

I am the OP. Please point out where I said I am shooting 0.1 MOA with a 300 WM? I said I was convinced the rifle can do it. The claim is based on a similar build I own in 260 Rem. I don't really care who in cyberspace believes me or not. <span style="font-weight: bold">And if I told you the builder many more may agree.</span> But it's a moot point. My question is if anyone had experienced regular diagonal stringing before and what they did about it.

Thanks anyway. </div></div>

Remarks like the one above are what makes us call BS. You KNOW the gun will shoot in the ones but it does not. Logic would imply, because you're shooting off a beach/rest, the gun or you does not shoot in the .1s. Why don't we get to know the magical gun smith or barrel maker? Again BS.

Why would you come on a tac rifle board looking to resolve "stringing" in a three round group in the .3s? Again BS.

How about this. If you want to get some answers from us have some damn respect for the people on the board and post something useful. If you really wanted help I would start by posting a video of you, and one of the target, as you shoot five ten round groups. This will give us a better idea of whats going on.

Then what type of barrel you are using, What prep work have you done to the brass, What bullet prep, What the chamber specs are, What the neck clearance is, neck tension and what you are jumping.

Then maybe let us in on your special gun smith and barrel maker. I suspect you will not and you'll continue to post BS in hopes of WHAT?

Let me help your stringing issues.

- Your barrel sucks
- you can't shoot in the .1s
*can you tell me how much you bullet moves per 1mph of wind at 100 yards
*can you tell me the affect of mirage on you POI
*can you show me a five round group with anything you've shot in the .1s
*(I'm sure non of the above is an issues as your .260 shoots in the .1s all day)

- your gun is not that accurate
* Poor bedding
* cheap stock
* inadequate tolerances
* .1 MOA is within margin of movement of your scope

- your loads are not that accurate
*Brass not uniform
*Neck tension not consistent
*Seating depth not consistent
*the fact it is a 300WM
*you bullet prep is not done
* you not in OBT

Now go away.

</div></div>

Hey 264Charlie,

Where did I ask anyone to diagnose the stringing with my rifle? I asked for people to share experiences.

Whether my rifle can do 100 MOA or 0.01 MOA doesn't concern anyone here. And why would it?

Reading some of these responses is like regressing back to crayons and cave talk. As I've said before if I don't believe someone on the internet I ignore. I don't have to swear, write in drunken stupor, or <insert the above>. Thankfully this is not my life. Good bye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweetheart.... </div></div>

"Laffin'"

smile.gif

I've got nothing else to add except the 'Tinker Toy' rifle is cool.