• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Diamondback HP or Viper HS?

chasingTail

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
Cross post from Rifle Scopes. Being as I'm looking for a hunting scope, I thought you guys might be able to help in my decision as well.

Depends on what you are hunting and where. In the woods and thicket, the HS in 2.5-10. In flatland / prairie the 4-16x44

Depends on what you are hunting and where. In the woods and thicket, the HS in 2.5-10. In flatland / prairie the 4-16x44
I'll mostly be hunting whitetail east of the Mississippi. However, if it could flex into an occasional hunt out west that would be ideal too. I like the 2.5-10 because of the lower min magnification and the much larger field of view. I think 10x is plenty for anything I'd be going after. My only concern with the 2.5-10 is the lack of parallax adjustment, I've read arti that say you want it and others that say you don't need it really. That really is my only sticking point I think. If the 2.5-10 had the parallax adjustmet it would have been a no brainier for me. Thanks!

Most scopes I have seem that are x12 and below do not have variable parallax as they are fixed at 100. As you mentioned, I also like lower powered scopes for the wide field of view, and when hunting in the mountains, i also like the weight savings. Honestly the max point blank range on a 6.5 with 140's is probably 250-300Y. Even a minor amount of parallax would be negligible at those ranges on deer.
Lastly, I like Talley removable mounts, they are pricey, but I can swap scopes on and off as I need them. This way you can pick up the 2.5-10 now and a 4-14 later.