• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Dichroic Reticles

Never seen anything like that before. Quite a beautiful idea if it works as advertized. Seems as if the reticle “knows” a color on the pallet to best suit the background, interesting technology.

Never seen anything like that before. Quite a beautiful idea if it works as advertized. Seems as if the reticle “knows” a color on the pallet to best suit the background, interesting technology.
Right PB, seems intuitive to the background, but I wonder if it really only works best with a duplex style reticle or if there is application for a mil based hash/christmas tree style, could you even see the thin line change color?

Scroll to the bottom of the page you linked and they show three different reticle designs with dichroic tech applied. Including a mildot and a small tree.

It seems quite interesting to me. I'll wait to see what comes of it in 2020, when it's actually available.

^^^ I saw the diagrams but am curious to see how thick the hash lines need to be for the system to work. Anyone here trained on the TOW missile launchers?

I am also curious, but according to the teaser page, thickness wouldn't matter that much since you can see through the dichroic reticle anyway. Any additional non-dichroic lines could be as thin as you wanted without interfering with the end view. In other words, based solely on that page and what I saw there, the dichroic part of the reticle is not going to be the whole thing and one can still have aiming points, mil-hashes or wind dots that are standard and usable on small or long distance targets. The reality should be interesting. We'll have to wait and find out.

Dichroic filters are just mirrors that reflect certain wavelengths and allow others to pass through.

It would be interesting to know how they made only the lines on the reticle in to a filter but I'm slightly doubtful of the dusk effect image they have.

To make that happen you would need a filter that cuts the wavelengths between red and green and then the target and background would have to be very specific colors.

My bet is that the effect in normal situations is probably not terribly pronounced.

It might be useful on a TOW because the background is usually blue sky.

Contact numbers at the bottom. Call them and ask. Seems like a novel idea. Not sure how beneficial it would be to me, personally. But hey it's a cool option.

Hey everyone; just wanted to add a few thoughts to the discussion. First, we are very excited about this technology and hope you'll keep checking our website as we get closer to January! The most immediate application for this technology is low-light hunting. The current red dichroic reticle changes to an almost Hi-Viz green color in low light, allowing the reticle to be clearly visible to the user long after a standard black reticle would not be seen. Yes, there ae illuminated reticles for that as well, but this gives you a visible reticle without the potential for wash-out with a bright center dot. Also, because of the dichroic filtering, different wavelengths of color passing across the green reticle in low light could cause it to change back to red as seen in the still picture on the website. I have not had a chance yet to personally test this reticle out in a hunting or field setting, but from the time I have spent with it I noticed that the reticle changes color against the background of a black bullseye target, so there certainly could be other applications outside of hunting with different color/reticle configurations.

I want to see this on a R2 2.5-15x56 with a FFP small tree. Been waiting for a FFP R2 for awhile now. Whenever that arrives, I'm sold.

Or a Meotac, hopefully with more than a 4x zoom.

Hey everyone; just wanted to add a few thoughts to the discussion. First, we are very excited about this technology and hope you'll keep checking our website as we get closer to January! The most immediate application for this technology is low-light hunting. The current red dichroic reticle changes to an almost Hi-Viz green color in low light, allowing the reticle to be clearly visible to the user long after a standard black reticle would not be seen. Yes, there ae illuminated reticles for that as well, but this gives you a visible reticle without the potential for wash-out with a bright center dot. Also, because of the dichroic filtering, different wavelengths of color passing across the green reticle in low light could cause it to change back to red as seen in the still picture on the website. I have not had a chance yet to personally test this reticle out in a hunting or field setting, but from the time I have spent with it I noticed that the reticle changes color against the background of a black bullseye target, so there certainly could be other applications outside of hunting with different color/reticle configurations.
It's always great to see representation from the mfr's, thanks for that note Erik, obviously hunting applications are first order but I'd be curious to see if their could be benefits to FFP as well.

I want to see this on a R2 2.5-15x56 with a FFP small tree. Been waiting for a FFP R2 for awhile now. Whenever that arrives, I'm sold.

Or a Meotac, hopefully with more than a 4x zoom.

For the remainder of this year, the Dichroic Reticle is going to be made available in the R1 3-12x56 FFP and SFP. More options are definitely in the works, however...

Reactions: maysys
I find illuminated scopes with large objective lenses, on the low power settings, allow me to clearly see the game and center the reticle where I want it during the predawn or after sunset. I'm not saying this isn't useful and kewl, but it's not suddenly a solution to an unsolved problem in the hunting world. Maybe it's a better solution, but I can't think of a time I've missed a shot because of low light in at least ten years... Modern, illuminated, tier I scopes seem to handle handle low light situations exceedingly well. I've got no complaints with the illuminated NF and Vortex on my hunting rigs.

I find illuminated scopes with large objective lenses, on the low power settings, allow me to clearly see the game and center the reticle where I want it during the predawn or after sunset. I'm not saying this isn't useful and kewl, but it's not suddenly a solution to an unsolved problem in the hunting world. Maybe it's a better solution, but I can't think of a time I've missed a shot because of low light in at least ten years... Modern, illuminated, tier I scopes seem to handle handle low light situations exceedingly well. I've got no complaints with the illuminated NF and Vortex on my hunting rigs.
Absolutely, illuminated reticles will always have a place. Dichroic reticles have the added advantage of, for lack of a more scientific word, messing with light to potentially reveal what may not have been clearly visible (think thick brush) where the filter can "mute" certain colors and bring others out more clearly. It is pretty interesting stuff!

I was actually thinking of this in "conventional" scopes the other night while hunting coyotes. My buddy has an Nvision halo and his reticle changes color when it hits a contrasting background. I thought, this would be handy in a lowlight scenario.

Yup, I have had one and they work well for hunting. I have a buddy, who is also on SH, that went to Africa with one and said he would not go there again without a dichroic reticle. He was very impressed with it.
Here is some indoor/outdoor pics of mine at a lot of different angles.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190516091725305_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190516092030698_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190516092438040_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190518170321689_COVER (2).jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190518170404964_COVER (2).jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190518170513367_COVER (2).jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190518170448573_COVER (2).jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190518170616914_COVER (2).jpg

I was hoping to use this as an LPVO. I don't think the center dots will be bright enough. I was hoping to use it like a Nightforce or a Accupower.

I tried one, sent it back for the battery operated one. For my eyes it just did not work. The dot against a dark object in the woods was not illuminated enough for me to see it any better then if there was no illumination at all. My eyes are nor real good & I use illuminated rets even in daytime. The one I got with the battery, is awesome. I have it at the hydro dipper as well as my rifle stock & parts. Hope it survives the dip.

Dichroic filters are just mirrors that reflect certain wavelengths and allow others to pass through.

It would be interesting to know how they made only the lines on the reticle in to a filter but I'm slightly doubtful of the dusk effect image they have.

To make that happen you would need a filter that cuts the wavelengths between red and green and then the target and background would have to be very specific colors.

My bet is that the effect in normal situations is probably not terribly pronounced.

It might be useful on a TOW because the background is usually blue sky.

It doesn’t really work I’ve owned mine for a while now and have shot it during different times with different light low and high and even in cold weather and it’s still red. About the only thing it does is get darker.