• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dicks reniging on their orders

Jerrrrstanley

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2012
Lebanon, VA
On 11-21-12 I ordered my Troy battle rifle from dicks. I was told it would be in within 7 to 14 days. Today I called and they said they cannot fill anymore orders and corporate would call me about my refund. This has pissed me off to no end seeing as how you can't find an ar for a reasonable price right now. I will never go into another dicks store after this.

Re: Dicks reniging on their orders

30 Day Ban.

Is that what you heard or you just saying? The store wouldn't tell me anything other than corporate will contact me. I emailed them and called the corporate number but they work Monday through Friday so I am guessing they won't be back in until the 26th. I'm livid.

As a couple other threads have mentioned, this anti-gun craze is certainly revealing which businesses should be boycotted. Dick's, Cheaper than Dirt, etc are all on my list, among others.

It is also possible that Dick's will offer AR's for sale at a later date, with an extra $1,000 tacked on to the price.

s

Well I am going to ask an attorney friend of mine just to see if we had entered into a contractual agreement since I paid for and received a receipt for a rifle. I have a strong suspicion that if there had not been a school shooting then the orders would still be getting filled. I am also going to call Troy after Christmas to see what they have to say about this deal.
I had read the post about someone getting the 30 ban for the same stuff I just didn't know it was Dicks.

Just an update. I called customer service today and that guy wasn't any help. He just kept saying you're not getting your rifle. When I asked for a number to someone higher up to discuss this with he said there wasn't one.
So, I called the store I ordered from and spoke with a manager. He was nice and helpful and called his district manager to see how to direct my call since their was nothing he could do at the store level. He wound up sending my name and number to a corporate complaint department where I am waiting to hear back from.
This has been a pain in my ass but I would like some answers and for someone other than an operator for dsg to know a lot of people are pissed about this.
Also, I read on another forum a lawsuit is already in the works. Don't know how far it will get but I'm sure it will get some attention.

If you put it on a credit card cant you just have them cancel the cahrges and buy elsewhere? Tell, Dick to go suck his own?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you put it on a credit card cant you just have them cancel the cahrges and buy elsewhere? Tell, Dick to go suck his own? </div></div>

yes, you can if its on a CC, but thats not the point. right now the ar is pretty much impossible to find and if you do its way way way more than they paid.

to the OP, do you have any paperwork or anything else? they may have in the fine print they can cancel at any time.

Its wide spread through all of the dicks stores. I do have paperwork and none of it says they can cancel. I can't remember if I signed anything on the electronic pad at the register like a terms of use. I know its a losing battle but I'm trying to spread the word and let dicks know I am spreading it. The store manager was not pleased with this as well because it hurts his stores income. He was for the ideal of a like rifle at a good price but he said he would be fired if any "modern sporting rifle" left his store. I hate dealing with corporate stores and would much rather buy from my normal dealer but I liked the troy and only dicks had it . From now on if I have to pay $100 bucks more for the same rifle from my local shop it will be worth it.

You need to talk to a lawyer as this sounds like breach of contract since money changed hands and you were simply waiting for delivery. I would also contact the better business bureau.

I bet if YOU canceled there would be a restocking fee etc. I would go small claims for $5K saying that they are not available any more and will no longer be made because of impending ban. Who knows maybe you will score. "F" them

Dumb question but is it possible that they just sold out before they could fill the order?
EDIT: That link posted indicates they have them in stock - I cannot locate them on their website.....assuming AR-15.

It's bad business but they read that they have X amount in inventory and the next day they have zero.
Or is this because the price went up - and they DO have them in stock? - THEN you'd have a gripe.
Otherwise it's just corporate America selling first come first serve and there's almost always a claus in there about that.
Not picking sides, just saying, you're doing the right thing by letting people know but if they start accepting orders at a higher price keep it up - and if NOT because inventory is out then you just got screwed.

Definitely sucks on missing out on the deal and +1 on taking your business elsewhere, HOWEVER ...

Those of you ______s that are spitting out that "call a lawyer"/"sue them" bullshit are prime examples of the worthless American mentality pervading our culture.

Well the BS thing that they ARE doing happened to me with a wood stove -

I sank $2500 down on a wood stove and the installer gets here and says if he installs it I will burn my house donw, the guy KNEW based on what fireplace I had....so having paid in cash I went RIGHt back down to the store.

They said they would cut me a check fromcorporate in the next 6 weeks. WTF??? I just GAVE THEM $2500 in cash!

I ended up getting a hearth mounted soapstone wood stove and am quite pleased with it, and corporate expedited my check to 3 days....

As posted by Troy on Facebook just now.

Troy Defense (Troy), adivision aTroy Industries,Inc.,was deeply dismayed and shocked to hear through national media outlets that Dick’s Sporting Goods (DSG) made the decision to stop selling the Troy Carbine along with other modern sporting rifles. DSG did not contact or inform Troy of this decision prior to notifying the public. Nor was Troy informed by DSG that cancellation letters were being sent to customers, set to arrive on Christmas Eve (a day Troy was closed).

Troy has invested millions of dollars in its facility and operations to bring its first ever modern sporting rifle to the market under an exclusive contract with DSG. In selecting DSG as the sole distributor of the Troy Carbine, Troy relied on DSG’s high sales forecasts and sales potential prior to undertaking the significant financial and corporate commitment necessary to design,develop, manufacture and bring a new modern sporting rifle to the marketplace. Based on DSG’s press release, DSG’s anti-gun stance is clear – DSG will not continue modern sporting rifle sales and Troy will sadly not see its Carbine readily available — despite the outlay of millions of dollars by Troy and its commitment to support DSG in its distribution efforts.

Troy is currently researching other channels to ensure continuous and consistent distribution for its rifles. But please note, Troy’s pricing to DSG was based upon volume sales. It is unlikely that pricing to any other outlet in the future will support the pricing granted to DSG. Troy understands the anger of certain DSG customers whose purchases have been cancelled – you got a great price from DSG. However, Troy, itself,cannot come anywhere close to offering the Carbine at the price DSG was offering it. DSG devalued and diluted Troy’s brand when it offered for sale the Carbine at a steeply discounted price during Thanksgiving week. As a result of the sale price set by DSG, DSG oversold and overpromised its inventory. Nonetheless, the current ill-will could have been avoided had DSG not terminated modern sporting rifle sales, promptly canceled overpromised orders, and forthrightly communicated with Troy.

Troy is hopeful that it will soon identify a new distribution channel for its Carbine. We ask for your patience and support during this difficult and transitory time.

Best regards,

Stephen Troy CEO & Founder The Troy Group www.troydefense.com www.troyind.com www.troyprepared.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those of you ______s that are spitting out that "call a lawyer"/"sue them" bullshit are prime examples of the worthless American mentality pervading our culture. </div></div>

Enforcement of contacts through legal means is the backbone of capitalism, and highly appropriate in this situation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E. Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those of you ______s that are spitting out that "call a lawyer"/"sue them" bullshit are prime examples of the worthless American mentality pervading our culture. </div></div>

Enforcement of contacts through legal means is the backbone of capitalism, and highly appropriate in this situation. </div></div>

no shit, huh? It's not like the dude spilled coffee on his lap and said it was too hot.

KSwift, what other recourse would you suggest? Oh, that's right. Taking his business to another store. Likely he's going to find a Troy carbine for that price in this political economy...that shit would be 5 times the price, easy. If OP hadn't relied on that, he probably could have done as you suggested, but now it is too late. Unless they come back down, OP was screwed over. A legitimate gripe? Most definitely.

If Dick's breached a contract, those fuckers should pay, do you not agree? That is a legitimate legal recourse. It's easy to stand by and say "take your business elsewhere," when it's not you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E. Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Enforcement of contacts through legal means is the backbone of capitalism, and highly appropriate in this situation. </div></div>

Assuming you meant "contracts", then yes. But all of you are pulling it right out of your ___es that Dicks breached any contract. All you know is they cancelled his preorder. For fucks sake people, preorders/reserved prices/held inventory get cancelled all the damn time.
If preorders were a lawsuit-targetable subject, whiney people like yall would be suing all the time about cancelled music concerts, oversold plane tickets, downtime on 365/24/7 service contracts, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
E. Bryant said:
KSwift, what other recourse would you suggest? Oh, that's right. Taking his business to another store. Likely he's going to find a Troy carbine for that price in this political economy...that shit would be 5 times the price, easy. If OP hadn't relied on that, he probably could have done as you suggested, but now it is too late. Unless they come back down, OP was screwed over. A legitimate gripe? Most definitely.

If Dick's breached a contract, those fuckers should pay, do you not agree? That is a legitimate legal recourse. It's easy to stand by and say "take your business elsewhere," when it's not you. </div></div>

First off, what recourse? None. There was no breach of contract, and anyone reading this thread with a shred of common sense knows that.

Dicks Sporting Goods didn't become a major nationwide retailer without having many well paid lawyers go all over their business model with a fine tooth comb. In fact, that's much more likely the reason they're not selling AR-15s anymore, instead of the "anti-assault attitude" BS that lots of people are making up. You guys really think that the bean counters/corporate suits at Dicks said yah, let's throw away millions of dollars of profits this next year because we think guns are evil?

Did anyone on here, especially the actual buyer, have any proof of a breach of contract? Does anyone here really think that Dicks didn't put into their preorder fine print that they could cancel at any time and that inventory and price are subject to change without notice? The buyer has NO legal recourse to pursue in any court of law.

If anyone can show me that the preordered reservation is a binding legal agreement that DSG did NOT have the option of cancelling, THEN a suit to enforce contract terms would be appropriate, and I'll admit complete incompetence in this matter.

And finally, you guys are all whining about DSG being anti-AR and complaining about the runaway pricing with "gougers" and "dishonest sellers", <span style="font-size: 14pt">where's the FUCK TROY INDUSTRIES sentiment?</span>

Talk about being hypocritical, did anyone actually read and think about the Troy announcement posted earlier in this thread? They blamed DSG for underpricing their guns and "devalued/diluted" the brand, then saying that they can't offer their own gun for as cheap as their distributor. <span style="color: #FF0000">WHAT?!</span>

Anyone with the fainest inklings of business know this is complete bullshit and Troy did an decent PR job of blaming someone else and justified their own price increase, to profit from the market shift.

Troy didn't lose money selling rifles to DSG, and DSG didn't lose money selling them in store. Troy could easily turn to ANY nationwide distributor and contract their entire manufacturing capability out in a heartbeat.

So now, you're going to see a HUGE price increase in Troy Carbines, to stay relative to the inflated gun prices, and Troy will pretend like it was an inconvenience to find another buyer during this "difficult and transitory time", as if there was a single pro-AR gun store chain in the entire country who doesn't wish he could order more AR-15s right now.

Troy just turned the situation around to reprofit up to $500 EXTRA on EACH one of their rifles starting yesterday, and you all are dumb enough to think that DSG should be sued.

You mean Troy has counters nationwide, that they can sell guns to the general public over? Guess they don't have any around here... Pull out your handy dandy notebook and calculate the difference in cost to package, handle, and ship individual rifles as oppose to a truckload. They'll have to hire an entire department to handle just the distribution. Not to mention office space and computers and shit.... There is a large difference in manufacturing and distribution and that's coming from someone that doesn't know two shits about either business!

KSwift- First, it's called economy of scale. Second, I'm glad I never served with you because I would've had to cover my own 6. Just like any of the shitheads that backed out of sales here when prices began to rise, Dick's is deliberately leaving their customer's out to dry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Assuming you meant "contracts", then yes. But all of you are pulling it right out of your ___es that Dicks breached any contract. All you know is they cancelled his preorder. </div></div>

Yep - I meant "contracts". Sorry 'bout the typo.

With all due respect (sincerely!), I think you'd best read up on the definitions of contracts and sales agreements:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3752080

DSG offered an item for sale. Pre-orders were paid in advance if I recall correctly (I nearly did one myself), so the buyer has performed their obligation - now Dick's needs to follow through with either the promised item, or something of equal value. Given the present situation, one can easily argue that a refund plus a $100 gift card does not add up to "equal value", but I'm not sure how that would play in court.

With regards to Troy's role in this whole mess, I think they generally got fucked, and from what I read into their Christmas Eve response, it seems like a substantial amount of that fucking came from inexperience and ineptitude. I don't know how things will work out between them and DSG, but some lawyers will definitely make enough to put another new Porsche in the garage next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
no shit, huh? It's not like the dude spilled coffee on his lap and said it was too hot.
</div></div>

Nice example. I think you'd sue too of your coffee did this to you. Yes, this is the lady you're referring to as having a frivolous lawsuit.

Link
McDonalds1-thumb-350x270-43300.jpg

As far as Dicks- I'm done with them.

On a separate note, the word is "Reneging"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt">reneging</span> present participle of re·nege
Verb
Go back on a promise, undertaking, or contract.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Nice example. I think you'd sue too of your coffee did this to you. Yes, this is the lady you're referring to as having a frivolous lawsuit.

Link
McDonalds1-thumb-350x270-43300.jpg

As far as Dicks- I'm done with them.
</div></div>

So what? If you are dumb enough to put hot coffee between your legs, you are personally responsible when...predictably...it spills.

Some of you give a large corporation far too much credit for thinking things through and acting rationally. I work for a Fortune 100 company and by the end of the first year I was dumbfounded that corporations function at all.

Actually ATH, if you read the link, she deserved pretty much all she got and more (and it wasn't millions as people think). Plus they had memo's as evidence from McDonald's warning the stores that their coffee was too hot, causing the cups to basically disintegrate and it was dangerous.

Back on topic, I hate Dick's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what? If you are dumb enough to put hot coffee between your legs, you are personally responsible when...predictably...it spills.

Some of you give a large corporation far too much credit for thinking things through and acting rationally. I work for a Fortune 100 company and by the end of the first year I was dumbfounded that corporations function at all. </div></div>It sounds like you didn't read the McDonalds case. Because the fact of the spilling wasn't the issue. The reasons you just gave: a) Corporations not following their own rules; and b) managers of fortune-companies who are too arrogant to educate themselves about an issue, is exactly why the jury awarded so much money that the judge had to decrease the amount of the award.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Troy just turned the situation around to reprofit up to $500 EXTRA on EACH one of their rifles starting yesterday, and you all are dumb enough to think that DSG should be sued.</div></div>

I doubt it's as simple as you're making it out to be. Not choosing sides here, but I'll wager that Troy had to massively ramp up their production to meet the deal with those Dicks, and getting the door slammed shut was a big deal. And I do think it would be tough to find another supplier that are as big of Dicks. (no grammatical error there, I am both naming and referring to them as Dicks)

Plus, as Troy notes on their site, they have another massive problem too -- all this shit they invested in their manufacturing could all be worthless if the fuckheads in DC pass legislation that knocks them out of business. They are also trying to use this time (with inflated market value) to recoup some of their R&D losses, as those costs are usually regained over a long period of time after the R&D process churns out a successful product. This could be the difference to the survivability of the company.

*shrug*

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To the OP:

"Dick’s Sporting Goods customers are threatening a class-action lawsuit after the company allegedly refused to fill gun orders made weeks before the school shooting in Newtown, Conn."

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top...er-gun-ban.html </div></div>

I hope the sue the shit out of those Dicks!