• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Dick's Sporting Goods - Rem. 700-V: Range Report

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods - Rem. 700-V

I called Remington and asked the very question that you put forth, Little.

The tech rep informed me that the barreled actions are exactly the same as any of the other varmint barreled actions.

The only differences being in a different trigger mechanism and stock.

Thanks Killer! Looks like I'm gonna have to scoop that up for around $350 and strip it to the bare action to do a build on.

Welll, just an off shoot on the build . .

I elected to go with the Jewell trigger. It is sweet. I have Timneys and they are nice, but this Jewell is so crisp! No creep, no crawl, no after pull. It's just . . . THERE.

The only other trigger I wish I could have is a Canjar.

I bought the rifle with scope and all that crap for $549 plus tax. I got a $50 rebate from Dick's and then I sold the scope and mounts for $50. So, I'm into the barreled action for $449 plus tax. I'm giving up on tax because of the present administration, but I'll endeavour to avoid any political discussions on this board because they don't need to be here.

Anyway, I know the purists are going to lambaste me about not going Schillen barrels etc., but hey, that's OK, they don't have to meet all my bills every month.

I do my shooting, work on those things which I feel I need to work on from the shooter's perspective and see how "Craker Jack" toes the line.

All I do is pull the trigger . . .

Update:

Did a wee bit of adjustment on the butt piece and cheek pad. Concentrated a bit more on sight picture and used the bipod and one of my scuba diving lead "soft weights" as a butt rest:

2 min. 31 sec. elapsed time.

I'm thinking not too bad for a "factory" rifle and an 62 year old shooter.

I think I'll be keeping it.

DotDrill3.jpg

Any comments are appreciated.

(But iffen yer ain't got nuthin nice to say, shet the hell up!!)
I can say that. I'm an old fart.

Looks like a shooter to me.

I had one with a rifle basix trigger in an HS precision stock and got some .3 and .4 inch 5 shot groups off a bench.

Looks like your not gonna have much in the way of excuses for missing

Don't know what happened with #2. Didn't see it or feel it. But I thought the sight picture was there.

Ain't nobody perfect . . . .

I think I'm still having a wee bit of problem with parallax.

I've been toying with trying one of these for a while. Today, I was over at Bass Pro and saw a R700 SPS-V in .308 Win, NIB, that, with the Remmy rebate ($40) and two discounts from the Fall Hunting Special Sale (10%+10% = $114), reduced the price of the rifle to $425...almost a no brainer. I'll toss one of my spare scopes on it (I have a 3.5-10x40 Leupy VX-3 that I keep in a Basset mount for one of my M1As) while I contemplate what glass and what stock to put on it. If this one shoots as well as my R700 SPS SS .308 Win hunting rifle, still in the original stock (3/8" 3-shot groups with my hand loads using RL 15, 168gr SMKs, CCI BR2 primers, WW brass), it'll be a nice project gun.

I picked up some 175gr SMKs and 178gr A-MAXs...with some luck, I'll have a range session tomorrow.

FH

Good luck! I'm happy with my purchase. I'm sure it won't pass the muster of some, but, to each his (or her) own.

"Cracker Jack"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck! I'm happy with my purchase. I'm sure it won't pass the muster of some, but, to each his (or her) own.

"Cracker Jack"
</div></div>

Thanks and continued good luck with yours. My past long-range experience has been limited to military rifle matches using M14s and M1 Garands out to 600 yds with irons (and BIG bulls on the targets). After lurking here for a while, I decided to start again and see if, at age 65, I could still do all right at distance. My hunting shots are never longer than 300 yds, usually shorter.

As to not passing muster with some, I recall the cry of the average NHL defenseman: "Get the puck out of there!".

Cheers,

FH

Went to pick up my SPS-V today...total discounts on rifle+scope+reloading components came to $212 + I'll get a $40 rebate from Remington. Had the gunsmith mount the scope for me...range day mañana.

FH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However it really is cheaper in the the end just to buy a higher quality rifle to begin with as the Remington you just dumped a ton of money into ,is still just a Remington when your done and still worth what a Remingtons resale value is,which does not even come close too the holding value of a high end rifle. </div></div>

That is really going to depend on what you plan to do with it. Its kind of silly to buy a diesel dually if all you do is tote the kids to soccer.

As for resale value, take a look at what used GA Precision rifles go for. Many of those are still just Remington rifles that have been worked over in every way possible.

I would suspect that the vast majority of the shooters on this forum are running stock or mildly worked over mid-range factory rifles. Its a fact of life for many that its easier to buy a budget rifle and then build it out to suit as funds allow. </div></div>

I agree, lots of folks running modded versions of standard 700's and shooting very well. As far as resale value goes, I don't ever plan on selling any weapon I own. My rule is to never come home to few guns than were there when you left. I've traded one handgun in, but never dropped my total amount, haha.

There's also a certain satisfaction in doing the most you can yourself. I'd rather have a Remington that I did 50% of the work on than a super high end rifle that I did nothing on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flatbush Harry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went to pick up my SPS-V today...total discounts on rifle+scope+reloading components came to $212 + I'll get a $40 rebate from Remington. Had the gunsmith mount the scope for me...range day mañana.

FH </div></div>

6 weeks and I'm still waiting for my rebate from Dick's to show up.

Yep, I'm thinking the rifle can do a whole lot better than I can. A little more practice and I think I'll be able to punch the dot every time.

Need to start reloading . . . this can get expensive when buying from a retailer.

Reloading is great. I hand load for all my guns. Very satisfying to develop loads that are ideal for your rifle and offer better accuracy and consistency than factory...even Fed Gold Medal Match.

Good luck,

FH

Flatbush,
Having worked for Starrett Tools, and being as analy compulsive as I am, about what am I looking at cost wise for a top of the line reloading setup?

OK, all the tweaking is done.
Finally got to a good range with some solid, stable concrete shooting platforms and some good sand bags. Made one helluva difference.
Removed the bipod and used just the stock fore end for resting.

Range: 100 meters
Temp.: 53 Deg.F avg
% Hum.: 47%
Altitude: 620 +/- 10 ft.
Wind: 0
MV: 2657 Avg.

The shot group is the one dated 12/2.
The group consists of 10 rounds of SMK 168 gr. <span style="color: #FF0000">(outlined in red)</span> shot at increments of 15 to 20 minutes between each shot.

Each shot was pretty much a cold bore shot.

Wish I hadn't screwed up #1, but it is what it is.

Shot 2 rounds of SMK 175 for drop comparison. I was somewhat amazed at the difference in the 2 different rounds at 100m. Be interesting to compare some out of my tube at 500m.

This was one of those days at the range that just makes ya get warm wet spots where ya shouldn't oughta . . .

My build has been renamed "Addonexus" after it's baptismal by fire yesterday evening. 2 does, one at 318m and the second at 378m.

Needless to say, I'm quite happy with this build.

OH!!! And I finally got my rebate 2 weeks ago.

Dec210ShotGroupcopy.jpg

Well, had a good day at the range this past Thursday. 5 rounds . . . < .375".

I can't shoot as good as this rifle can. Not bad for a cheap piece.