• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Did I buy the wrong scope??

Key0nee

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2014
Hey guys,
I've been lurking here a while silently learning a few things... I recently got into shooting and after recently making a 300yd shot (with my RRA bull and my Bushnell elite 6-24), I was hooked.. I am starting my journey into the world of "longer ranger shooting" with my first purchase. A Sightron SIII 10-50X60 that I found used for a great price. I jumped on it quickly maybe too quickly... The scope reticle is fine cross hairs.

My intentions once I get a bolt gun is just paper punching, hopefully in the 600yd.+ range. Can anyone comment, give pointers, or direct me to some info on learning to use a fine cross hair reticle??? I understand that a less busy reticle will give you an uncluttered sight picture and some say this is important. But I'm not sure I understand how to gauge corrections using this reticle.

My current scope is a mildot with .1 mrad turrets and I am slowing learning to range and "read" the reticle to make shot corrections. Although all my learning at this point has been limited to ranges that I can see my shot thru the scope.

As always... Questions, comments, and just plain wise cracks remarks are all welcomed...

thanks
k

If your not planning on shooting competitions with it, or running matches, you should be fine for just bench rest shooting, as there are converters and ballistic programs to help you determine what adjustments you need to get out to distance. I am guessing this is 1/8th click adjustments? So you will just need to enter you data, (muzzle velocity, DA, click value: 1/8th, etc.) in to a ballistic program, which you can get on your phone, etc., and it will do the math for you.

Only problem is you will not have mil-dot or MOA markings for hold overs, or quick adjustments.

If that is a problem, then you might want to reconsider the purchase and sale.

I'm not sure I understand how to gauge corrections using this reticle.

That's the issue with using a standard reticle with no measurments or bracketing of any kind. A unmarked reticle is like using a tape measure without any numbers on it. If your reticle is a duplex, you can use the section where it goes from heavier to fine as a reference, but it is very difficult to do this with any degree of accuracy, not to mention you are dealing with a 2nd focal plane optic.

Sorry if thats not the answer you wanted to hear.

That's the problem with a fine reticle, no basis to measure from for corrections, you mainly dial and hold center. Its hard to be consistent for follow up shots if youre trying to hold wind or elevations with that reticle. Most benchrest type scopes though are fine or some form of target dot so your scope should be fine for your intentions. If you want to shoot lots of different ranged steel or any kind of practical rifle then I'd probably get a new scope with some form of mil style reticle.

I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 EBR-1 reticle, Mil/Mil caps. I may be interested in working out some sort of deal if you do want to get rid of that sightron. Shoot me a PM if you want to, it's brand new with the box.

Thanks for the replies guys... I guess I kinda already felt what you guys cleared up.. I hope is normal to be a little OCD, and buy happy when you first get into this...

I'll try it out and if it doesn't work maybe try to trade for a different reticle

Thanks again
K

I just picked up the same scope but in MOA-2 reticle. I almost went with the fine cross hairs since most of my shooting is off the bench. The only reason i went with MOA is there is "enough" times i am shooting at different elevations (different ranges/desert shoots) i wanted something I could range better with (hold overs / windage).

I didnt see if u were shooting a 223, 308, or other. IMO, if its on a 223, I wouldnt worry. NOT saying a 223 cant go past 600 yards, but you are starting to push its limits and a FCH reticle should be fine. if 308, I would say get better / practice with the rifle and use that scope and when you are running into enough times you NEED a different reticle, then change it. *dont forget, Sightron lets u change reticles. u just got to send it in.

Hey Aziroc,
Thanks I didn't know the reticle could be changed... I'll have to check that out. Any idea on price?

Hey guys,
I've been lurking here a while silently learning a few things... I recently got into shooting and after recently making a 300yd shot (with my RRA bull and my Bushnell elite 6-24), I was hooked.. I am starting my journey into the world of "longer ranger shooting" with my first purchase. A Sightron SIII 10-50X60 that I found used for a great price. I jumped on it quickly maybe too quickly... The scope reticle is fine cross hairs.

My intentions once I get a bolt gun is just paper punching, hopefully in the 600yd.+ range. Can anyone comment, give pointers, or direct me to some info on learning to use a fine cross hair reticle??? I understand that a less busy reticle will give you an uncluttered sight picture and some say this is important. But I'm not sure I understand how to gauge corrections using this reticle.

My current scope is a mildot with .1 mrad turrets and I am slowing learning to range and "read" the reticle to make shot corrections. Although all my learning at this point has been limited to ranges that I can see my shot thru the scope.

As always... Questions, comments, and just plain wise cracks remarks are all welcomed...

thanks
k

It wouldn't be best suited for what most of the shooters here would be into i.e. tactical/practical shooting, but it would be great for Benchrest, and/or F-Class, i.e. bench/prone target/group shooting. Personally, I have an old Weaver T36 (36x) with a fine crosshair that I use quite a bit for working up loads on various rifles. I have it in a detachable Larue mount that I can quickly swap on/off whatever rifle I'm working a load up for. The advantage of the high magnification and fine crosshair when working up a load is that you're able to hold an EXTREMELY tight point of aim when shooting - that way you're truly holding on an aiming 'point' rather than the nebulous 'space' you might be shooting at with a lower magnification and thicker reticle. My bet is your groups will improve quite a bit with this scope and you'll have a much better indication of the accuracy of your rifle,... Long story short, it just removes another variable that a lot of shooters don't think about - the amount of target area their lower magnification, thick-reticle scope actually covers/occludes when shooting,... Give it a shot!

Ry

2e4gad1.jpg

Hey Blurry,
Thanks...yeah I plan to give a shot before changing it or trading... I can't wait I will be ordering an ssg3000 .308 in a couple of weeks (waiting for a sale) and dying to get out in the desert.