• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did I choose the right caliber ?

If elk bugle in your dreams, get a 308 Win barrel spun up after you decide that you either love or hate the rifle ( we‘re all betting that you’ll love it ) and find a heavy partition type hunting bullet load that the barrel like and go slay a fat cow or a monumental bull.

If it will make you feel better or worse, I shoot 130’s in my 6.5 MPA and have no real issues with recoil or spotting hits/misses. As far as a rifle to hunt elk, get whatever caliber in the MPA for range / target work and get a hunting rifle in something lIke a 280 or 30-06 or better for the elk and moose. (I like my 35 Whelen) In theses days and times, decent hunting rifles can be purchased for a song, and do the job without worrying about scratching or denting. (To be perfectly honest, the MPA is a bit heavy for hunting in the field. but boy does it shoot)

If elk bugle in your dreams, get a 308 Win barrel spun up after you decide that you either love or hate the rifle ( we‘re all betting that you’ll love it ) and find a heavy partition type hunting bullet load that the barrel like and go slay a fat cow or a monumental bull.
Haha...yeah they still do...nothing on earth like it in my opinion...calling them in and each one is different but...the ones tearing the woods up in a straight line too you ...those ones play over in my head the most 👍

Haha...yeah they still do...nothing on earth like it in my opinion...calling them in and each one is different but...the ones tearing the woods up in a straight line too you ...those ones play over in my head the most 👍
Then you have your answer...

If it will make you feel better or worse, I shoot 130’s in my 6.5 MPA and have no real issues with recoil or spotting hits/misses. As far as a rifle to hunt elk, get whatever caliber in the MPA for range / target work and get a hunting rifle in something lIke a 280 or 30-06 or better for the elk and moose. (I like my 35 Whelen) In theses days and times, decent hunting rifles can be purchased for a song, and do the job without worrying about scratching or denting. (To be perfectly honest, the MPA is a bit heavy for hunting in the field. but boy does it shoot)
So I have a question...my dads 30-06...he hunted with that thing since the 50's sometime...if I wanted to hunt with it for elk...shouldnt it be like way over due for a barrel change ? He never used it at anything like PRS...but he got an elk almost every year I can recall except when he got real old so there have been a number of rounds down thru it...probably not enough to matter ? It's a Remington Woodsmaster Model 742...here's a pic...he had a 4 power weaver scope on it I pulled off.

20210426_200843.jpg

Put a new scope on that 742 & and see how it shoots. That thing will test your fundamentals.

Your PRS setup will weigh 18-24lbs don't even kid yourself about carrying that in the woods.

Every Deer I've shot the past 25 years has been with this rifle. They've all been DRT 1 shot. I have other options, but you know that old saying if it aint broke ____ ___ __! Trigger is god awful at about 7 or 8 pounds, but it gets the job done.
I check zero about every 3 years 3-5 shots + 1 if something worth shooting gets within range. That's only about 60 rounds in 25 years. This barrel should be worn out in about another 3-4 hundred years.
IMG_5852.jpg

Put a new scope on that 742 & and see how it shoots. That thing will test your fundamentals.

Your PRS setup will weigh 18-24lbs don't even kid yourself about carrying that in the woods.

Every Deer I've shot the past 25 years has been with this rifle. They've all been DRT 1 shot. I have other options, but you know that old saying if it aint broke ____ ___ __! Trigger is god awful at about 7 or 8 pounds, but it gets the job done.
I check zero about every 3 years 3-5 shots + 1 if something worth shooting gets within range. That's only about 60 rounds in 25 years. This barrel should be worn out in about another 3-4 hundred years.
View attachment 7613023
Well sweet...that would be kinda cool to go hunting with the old mans rifle 👍

And fifty pages later, we'll still be having the same conversation.

Now, shall we move onto something more relevant? Mils vs MOA or 9mm vs .45, perhaps?
with a 30 cal diameter suppressor that has been rokset onto threads, even

So I have a question...my dads 30-06...he hunted with that thing since the 50's sometime...if I wanted to hunt with it for elk...shouldnt it be like way over due for a barrel change ? He never used it at anything like PRS...but he got an elk almost every year I can recall except when he got real old so there have been a number of rounds down thru it...probably not enough to matter ? It's a Remington Woodsmaster Model 742...here's a pic...he had a 4 power weaver scope on it I pulled off.

View attachment 7613005
Holy fuck someone else has one! I have a 742 woods master in 30-06 as well that belonged to my fiancé’s uncle. He had taken a massive New Hampshire moose with it before he passed. It had a fixed 4x on it but I think I’m going to get a little 3.5-10 or a 4-12 to put on it.

I cant do the hattrick, i got the allie oop of rounds
30-06
300. Wby mag
338 lm
Lol its a hobby
I am a firm follower of this school of thought.
17HMR
22 short
22 Long
22 LR
22 WMR
223AI
243AI
280AI
7mm Rem Mag
30-06
300WINMAG
30Nosler
338Norma Mag Improved
20 gauge
12 gauge
10 gauge
32ACP
38special
357 magnum
9mm
10mm
40SW
45ACP
45 LC
454 Casull

I think I got them all

and duplicates of several of those along with some being pistol caliber carbines so that I can carry one ammo in certain situations.

Reactions: Gunner234
That Remington is probably a fine hunting rifle. Most hunting rigs are lucky to see 20rds a year. I could be wrong but I believe they started making them in 1960. I think that is a 2nd generation and likely even a little newer than that...I'd bet its seen less than a few hundred rounds. At any rate, give the bore a good deep cleaning and I bet she shoots just fine. And will be a joy to carry over your long range rig. And, in 3006 with a good hunting bullet, it'll kill elk at distances majority of elk are killed...aka within a few hundred yards.

I've found many "old timers" didn't clean bores much at all. Either Hoppes #9 or just oil patches. Which is why I recommend a good bore cleaning. I like using pull through bore cleaners on my Remington pumps...just because I don't like sending rods through the muzzle. A couple good soaks with Wipeout foam will get a good bit of the fouling out. Then a couple brushings, then alternate a good carbon and a good copper remover.

Last edited:
I reload for each. Each has its own reloading journal, i just buy the cheap leather bound journals from walmart. There is a round count, i draw pictures of the targets and where my hits were in relation. Info like time of day and temp ect. When i dont shoot one for awhile i bring the book out and it all comes right back fresh. It actually takes up way more time than i really spend shooting at this point, but to me its the fun part.
Same here sort of. I keep a log for each rifle...not the handguns or shotguns. I cut the target down to include the entire group (unless it was real crappy, then I just sketch it and include measurements) and paste that into the log on a page. I include weather conditions as accurately as I can, if not by instrument, then by my best guess.

I LOVE reloading and I LOVE finding what it takes to make a particular rifle shoot. I have a couple of friends that hand me brand new rifles and components and I figure out what it takes. My best friend likes to shoot, sees reloading as a necessary evil for true accuracy and despises that process. I just hand it all over to him. gratis...well, sort of. I drink his beer, eat his steak and I make him help when I need to figure out crap on my motorcycle.

Having said that, if I were just getting started, I'd give second thoughts to the belted magnums and would likely not do them again. I would also buy a rifle that I could buy factory ammo for in a caliber that I anticipate shooting ALOT as my first.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew

View attachment 7613005
I would wager that the barrel is JUST FINE!!! I'd scope it and either have the factory trigger tuned up or pull that factory trigger (save it) and install a trigger from Jewel, Timney, Trigger Tech or Shilen.

Reactions: Anointed1
Holy fuck someone else has one! I have a 742 woods master in 30-06 as well that belonged to my fiancé’s uncle. He had taken a massive New Hampshire moose with it before he passed. It had a fixed 4x on it but I think I’m going to get a little 3.5-10 or a 4-12 to put on it.
Yup...just like my dads...he had a fixed 4x Weaver on it.

Reactions: Krob95
I am a firm follower of this school of thought.
17HMR
22 short
22 Long
22 LR
22 WMR
223AI
243AI
280AI
7mm Rem Mag
30-06
300WINMAG
30Nosler
338Norma Mag Improved
20 gauge
12 gauge
10 gauge
32ACP
38special
357 magnum
9mm
10mm
40SW
45ACP
45 LC
454 Casull

I think I got them all

and duplicates of several of those along with some being pistol caliber carbines so that I can carry one ammo in certain situations.
Geez...that's a list...it would take a safe just for the ammo lol

Reactions: Aftermath
That Remington is probably a fine hunting rifle. Most hunting rigs are lucky to see 20rds a year. I could be wrong but I believe they started making them in 1960. I think that is a 2nd generation and likely even a little newer than that...I'd bet its seen less than a few hundred rounds. At any rate, give the bore a good deep cleaning and I bet she shoots just fine. And will be a joy to carry over your long range rig. And, in 3006 with a good hunting bullet, it'll kill elk at distances majority of elk are killed...aka within a few hundred yards.

I've found many "old timers" didn't clean bores much at all. Either Hoppes #9 or just oil patches. Which is why I recommend a good bore cleaning. I like using pull through bore cleaners on my Remington pumps...just because I don't like sending rods through the muzzle. A couple good soaks with Wipeout foam will get a good bit of the fouling out. Then a couple brushings, then alternate a good carbon and a good copper remover.

Nope that's exactly right...now I got to look the serial # up and see when he got it...i know it wasnt long after that because he started taking me with him when I was six...mom had enough of me crying for days when he left so he just up and took me pajamas and all lmao...I'm 60 now and its funny the things you remember. I remember that early morning because it was dark out still and it scared me...i remember eating beans out of a can...and him carrying me thru the woods and over the top of snow...the man was a tank...what a sacrifice he made to take his son...that was where it started I think...he never went anywhere without me except to go to work. How different would society be if all kids were raised that way.

So I bought a bunch of cleaning stuff and kits in preparation for the MPA...not that I know how to use any of it yet...I'll take a pic of it and you can tell me which to use and how on his rifle if you wouldn't mind ?

I LOVE reloading and I LOVE finding what it takes to make a particular rifle shoot. I have a couple of friends that hand me brand new rifles and components and I figure out what it takes. My best friend likes to shoot, sees reloading as a necessary evil for true accuracy and despises that process. I just hand it all over to him. gratis...well, sort of. I drink his beer, eat his steak and I make him help when I need to figure out crap on my motorcycle.

Having said that, if I were just getting started, I'd give second thoughts to the belted magnums and would likely not do them again. I would also buy a rifle that I could buy factory ammo for in a caliber that I anticipate shooting ALOT as my first.
That sounds like so much fun to me...I got to get reading about reloading so I understand what's needed. And what bike...street or dirt ?...I've been riding for years now...up until the cancer crap hit anyhow...I got issues with my back now that I have surgery scheduled for this Thursday...I havent been able to walk for over a year this past March...can only stand for a few minutes...going to ask for a few prayers in a seperate post...here's a pic of what I was riding and what's waiting on me 👍

20180419_151353.jpg

20210419_143659.jpg

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew

View attachment 7613005
Beautiful rifle. First, clean that chamber, clean it like it is your mother’s son’s mouth got cleaned after your mother’s son just let out a line of foul four letter words. then, clean that chamber again. When you are done, give the chamber a good cleaning.

Why, those chambers tend to rust. When they do, the action won’t eject rounds. Then, get it out to the range (after a good cleaning) and shoot some factory ammo. Then put a 1x5 power scope on it (or in the old days in Louisiana, a scope with tip off mounts or see through mounts (Once heard an old timer say; “if a man don’t have those mounts, he don’t have nothing.”) I missed a deer once as a very young man because I did not have those type of mounts so there was truth to what he was saying.

Next, keep the chamber clean and will oiled.

Next, load up some good 180 grain Nosler Partitions, in new, full length sized cases.

Next, kill elk/moose/whitetail of your choice.

Next, eatin good in the neighborhood.

Beautiful rifle. First, clean that chamber, clean it like it is your mother’s son’s mouth got cleaned after your mother’s son just let out a line of foul four letter words. then, clean that chamber again. When you are done, give the chamber a good cleaning.

Why, those chambers tend to rust. When they do, the action won’t eject rounds. Then, get it out to the range (after a good cleaning) and shoot some factory ammo. Then put a 1x5 power scope on it (or in the old days in Louisiana, a scope with tip off mounts or see through mounts (Once heard an old timer say; “if a man don’t have those mounts, he don’t have nothing.”) I missed a deer once as a very young man because I did not have those type of mounts so there was truth to what he was saying.

Next, keep the chamber clean and will oiled.

Next, load up some good 180 grain Nosler Partitions, in new, full length sized cases.

Next, kill elk/moose/whitetail of your choice.

Next, eatin good in the neighborhood.
Haha...I remember that day lol...she actually used a bar of soap...i can almost still taste it all these years later lmao 🤣

If you think your on borrowed time (hopefully you stay clean and become old and nasty lol)...

use what you picked out, it’s more than fine

Take a class or 2 (best money you will ever spend pertaining to shooting)

Reloading is useful but go out and shoot
Factor Ammo is excellent now
No one likes to reload as much as they do shooting

if you worried about the elk trip you may never take, buy a rack grade bolt action 30 cal of your choice and let it sit the rest of the year. Your not looking to print groups at 500 yards with it.

If you think your on borrowed time (hopefully you stay clean and become old and nasty lol)...

use what you picked out, it’s more than fine

Take a class or 2 (best money you will ever spend pertaining to shooting)

Reloading is useful but go out and shoot
Factor Ammo is excellent now
No one likes to reload as much as they do shooting

if you worried about the elk trip you may never take, buy a rack grade bolt action 30 cal of your choice and let it sit the rest of the year. Your not looking to print groups at 500 yards with it.
I certainly plan on doing just that...got to figure out still which ones in my area or somewhere i can fly too...my wife works for the Airline Industry so i can fly just about anywhere for almost free. My issue right now is I can't walk or stand...got a surgery in a couple days that will hopefully fix that...about to post a thread in the bear pit asking for a few prayers in that regard 👍

Same here sort of. I keep a log for each rifle...not the handguns or shotguns. I cut the target down to include the entire group (unless it was real crappy, then I just sketch it and include measurements) and paste that into the log on a page. I include weather conditions as accurately as I can, if not by instrument, then by my best guess.

I started reloading about a decade ago when i bought a vanguard in 300 wby mag. 75 bucks a box for ammo was just out of my leauge then, but i had allready bought the rifle in a pawn shop. Whats wrong with reloading belted cases?

That sounds like so much fun to me...I got to get reading about reloading so I understand what's needed. And what bike...street or dirt ?...I've been riding for years now...up until the cancer crap hit anyhow...I got issues with my back now that I have surgery scheduled for this Thursday...I havent been able to walk for over a year this past March...can only stand for a few minutes...going to ask for a few prayers in a seperate post...here's a pic of what I was riding and what's waiting on me 👍

View attachment 7613064
View attachment 7613060
You know, they make a trike kit for your bike. Worse case scenario that would make a kick ass roundabout lol.

• Haha
Geez...that's a list...it would take a safe just for the ammo lol
Thats just some of my rifles, shotgun ammo takes up the most space, and i have about a dozen handguns too..... its like lays potato chips when you really find out what ya like lol.

Analysis paralysis...I suffer from it myself.

6.5 Creed is the new 308. Its does everything. It slices, it dices, it makes Julianne Fries--it will not break (Warranty void if it breaks).

PRS is all about the sixes. 6BR, 6Dasher, 6 Creed, 6BRA, 6GT, 6GTFO, etc.... (I may have made that last one up and someone is pissed i left their caliber off).

There are top tier shooters who shoot 6.5 Creed although its like a 10:1 ratio. Hunting wise though, elk--she a big beastie, 6 may not be enough.

Couple of solutions--get the 6 Creed as a PRS rifle. If you need an elk gun just get yourself an el-cheapo 30-06 Tikka/Bergarra (or 308 or 6.5 Creed, etc...) I say 30-06 cause it never goes outta style and EVERYONE has it (cept right now). I say "el-cheapo" but both a damn fine rifles, but compared to comp rigs, well...they save a pretty penny. Slap on a decent scope like a burris XTR II or similar. Thats a hunting gun 99% of america can't outshoot.

Or just buy in 6.5 Creed.

Neither one is a wrong option.

my plans still are using my sa 6.5 creed for 100 - 1 mile and 1 mile and out a sa 7mm saum using the same chassis for a semi fast switch between the two . not that I know anything about how either would be as a hunting round but good luck with which ever options you decide to with .

PRS is all about the sixes. 6BR, 6Dasher, 6 Creed, 6BRA, 6GT, 6GTFO, etc.... (I may have made that last one up and someone is pissed i left their caliber off).
Lmao...i thought that was pretty dang funny...intentional or not 🤣

I know that 6mms are the hotness right now, 6mm BR (and variants) in particular. I would tell you that if you're doing it for fun and you wanna one gun it across multiple endeavors, then don't worry about the "right" decision so much...right is whatever you want and enjoy shooting.

I shot an F-class match this past weekend (my first). I did that with a "normal" 12.5 lb (maybe 13 or so with bipod) rifle in 6.5 CM...could hardly pick a worse rifle setup for that game. I went anyway, had a good time and learned a bunch. Not having an optimal setup won't keep you from getting into the game and it won't keep you from learning. Unless you preternaturally gifted or already a solid competitor there's a good chance you'll be through that first barrel before you're competitive as a shooter anyway.

6.5mm, .264, IS kinda the sweet spot with wind resistance and velocity retention. May be the reason it works so well in the 6.5X.284 for 1000 yd. comps. On the other hand 6mm, .243, dominates out to 300 yds in the 6mm PPC. Sounds like your gun is the PRS; I'm not familiar with that, but if it's a semi, reloading takes on some extra precautions, compared to bolt guns. Reloading is great and the feeling that you get when your rounds are all in the same hole is fantastic (but doesn't happen very often)! I FINALLY found the sweet spot for the first time in a 6.5 Grendel after a number of load trials. As soon as I got there, Hornady quit production of THE bullet that was key for my gun! Need to start over again, but not in this ammo shortage nightmare. Good luck and have fun; either caliber will do just fine.

Reloading is an awesome pursuit for guys who aren't married, don't have children and don't have a demanding career. I saw at least 30 boxes of 6mm C Match sit on the shelf at Sportsman's Warehouse for several weeks recently. 6.5mm C Match always sells out on the same day. I think 6.5 C is the obvious choice for all around shooting judging by its popularity across the board.

Bah...thought I had this figured out but maybe not. Here's as much background info as I can give you without a novel. Never shot a rifle with a scope on it my entire life...an M16 at camp Pendleton in boot, and a tommy gun a friend bought a few years back for a few minutes...that's it...been a bowhunter all my life. Own a bunch of pistols but no rifles until recently other than what my dad left me when he passed. I'm 60, just went thru chemo and stem cell transplant, cancer free right now but who knows what the future holds time wise. Only a few things in my bucket list, PRS is one of them. Ordered an MPA PMR Pro initially in 6.5 creedmoor...for two months I tossed around that decision between it and 6mm creedmoor. I read about the advantages of less recoil with the 6mm and seeing hits and making corrections...and you can hunt with it just as well as the 6.5 except Elk really. Factory ammo is available for the 6mm creed...and I eventually want to load my own anyhow as I want the full experience. Is there enough time before I die to learn everything ?...I don't really know but... after seeing this chart...last week I got ahold of Woody at MPA and changed the caliber on my build to 6mm Creedmoor from 6.5 Creedmoor.

View attachment 7612736

Felt good about it for a couple days figuring the only real compromise was if I wanted to hunt elk but, who says I can only have one gun....maybe I buy another one for really big game like elk and moose...not that I would ever go moose hunting but who knows. Then I read this thread here on the hide and it put me right back on the fence about my caliber choice.

I wasn't even looking for a thread like this but once I read it...crap...did I make the right call ?...it's not too late to get ahold of Woody and change it back if I do it soon...I feel like I've thought about it so much now that I can't even figure out how to think about it anymore 🤯 ....short barrel life and the additional cost...recoil is actually a good thing in that it helps you lock in the fundamentals better as far as position while shooting...availability of ammo...just looked on Gunbroker...5 pages of ammo for 6mm Creedmoor...25 pages for 6.5....how long does it take to learn how to load your own and get good enough so your stuff is better than factory ?...unknown to me...I have enough money where the extra barrels wont shortchange the ammo and force me to practice less.

What I want is to bang some steel out to 1200 yards and beyond in windy conditions by using things to factor in the right environmentals and get correct dope, apply it and be successful using it...and I know I got a lot to learn. I also want to get involved with PRS, hunt some stuff with my father-in-law which may include Elk which then may require a different rifle and probably another scope...I don't think with my level of experience I would want to be moving a good scope back and forth on rifles. The scope I just bought is the Razor 4.5-27X56 MRAD with EBR-7C reticle. Super excited to get my first scope...now if I can just feel settled with the caliber choice. What you guys think ?
I started with the 6.5CM as my first prs rifle but have since changed to 6cm. I to was worried about factory ammo at first which is why I went that route. Now that they offer factory 6cm is a no brainer for me. Reloading is just one of the steps that make it fun for me. I like reloading the heavier 115gr dtac at 2900fps, you can't buy those factory.

I shoot 6mm Creedmoor and have no regrets. I'm thrifty with ammo and it will take a long time to fire the 2,000 rounds I've read it takes to eat up a barrel. I shoot long range for personal pleasure and don't compete. I've had very little trouble finding match ammo at around $35 for 20 rounds while the 6.5 Creedmoor space on the shelves has remained empty. Should someone try to debate the merits of another caliber with me, I just smile and say "that's nice." Whatever caliber you end up with, there'll be someone out there who will poo-poo your choice.

I would recommend 6mmarc if you want to shoot prs. The ballistics on that cartridge is crazy/nuts!! Just got my first 6.5cm and it has been a blast super accurate pretty much no kick and has ran out to 800 easy got a 20” barrel but intend to push it further. Favorite round hands down is my 300 win mag. Now days there are some many offerings slap a muzzle break on it and let it loose. Check out 300prc if you want a 30 cal

I my opinion the 6.5 CM is the best choice for you. It is not a high recoil round, and it will do everything you want to do. As you stated ammo is more available, and priced reasonably. 147 gr Hornady ELDM is a great choice for factory ammo. You don't need to hand load, buy some good ammo and go shooting.

Find a good long range shooting class and go through about 400 rounds under an accomplished instructor. I took my first one at 62 with a .338 Lapua mag. They said I would never make it to the end, but I did. There was no question about whether I hit the target or not, in fact they asked me if I would mind not shooting the steel targets under 400 yards because I was breaking them off the post's!

The 6mm's are great for the prs game, but only if they have hit indicators on the targets. Really?
The 6.5 147 geain is much better for taking game animals than the 6mm, deer out to 750 yards, Elk out to 400 yards. You need enough energy for hunting. Honestly, unless you are a top tier shooter, and only shooting prs matches you won't see or need the gaming advantage of the 6mm. And to go there you will need to get serious about reloading.

Check out Nathan Foster's Terminal Balistics Research site, he has an incredible amount of information on what rifle cartridges will and will not do or should be used for.

Sorry for adding this to your confusion, I get a little passionate about a rifle being capable of doing more than just putting holes in paper. And I do love accurate long range rifles. No one cartridge everything well, some will more than others. The intended target, needed energy, and the range to the target dictate the minimum cartridge you need. Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy your new shooting hobby. God bless!

I've never quite understood why the same guy who says a 3xx Laudenboomer is required for elk will turn around and buy a 243 Win for their wife or daughter to hunt those same elk with. :unsure:. Five decades ago I killed my first six elk (age 14-20) with a stock 6mm Remington and factory 100gr CoreLok ammo. Fact is, the rifle you're best with is the one you should hunt with. I personally believe that better decision making, better shooting, and cleaner kills comes with "just enough" gun. I don't recommend a 22-250, but I've seen it done by a guy that shot that rifle almost every day of the year.

If you get to where you can ring steel at 300-1200 in windy conditions with a 6CM, you certainly ought to be able to make a killing shot on an elk at ethical hunting distances. The most critical factor in the accuracy of ANY firearm is not load or caliber or bullet or twist, it's trigger time.

I started reloading about a decade ago when i bought a vanguard in 300 wby mag. 75 bucks a box for ammo was just out of my leauge then, but i had allready bought the rifle in a pawn shop. Whats wrong with reloading belted cases?
The area of the case just above the belt is nearly impossible to resize with standard dies. This generally leads to case failure a that point. With my 300WINMAGs, every 3 reloadings, I use this:
It cures the problem and has allowed me to go from only getting 3-5 loadings on a case to cases I have as many as 10 reloads on. It's an extra step that is just sort of a pain in the ass.

Bah...thought I had this figured out but maybe not. Here's as much background info as I can give you without a novel. Never shot a rifle with a scope on it my entire life...an M16 at camp Pendleton in boot, and a tommy gun a friend bought a few years back for a few minutes...that's it...been a bowhunter all my life. Own a bunch of pistols but no rifles until recently other than what my dad left me when he passed. I'm 60, just went thru chemo and stem cell transplant, cancer free right now but who knows what the future holds time wise. Only a few things in my bucket list, PRS is one of them. Ordered an MPA PMR Pro initially in 6.5 creedmoor...for two months I tossed around that decision between it and 6mm creedmoor. I read about the advantages of less recoil with the 6mm and seeing hits and making corrections...and you can hunt with it just as well as the 6.5 except Elk really. Factory ammo is available for the 6mm creed...and I eventually want to load my own anyhow as I want the full experience. Is there enough time before I die to learn everything ?...I don't really know but... after seeing this chart...last week I got ahold of Woody at MPA and changed the caliber on my build to 6mm Creedmoor from 6.5 Creedmoor.

View attachment 7612736

Felt good about it for a couple days figuring the only real compromise was if I wanted to hunt elk but, who says I can only have one gun....maybe I buy another one for really big game like elk and moose...not that I would ever go moose hunting but who knows. Then I read this thread here on the hide and it put me right back on the fence about my caliber choice.

I wasn't even looking for a thread like this but once I read it...crap...did I make the right call ?...it's not too late to get ahold of Woody and change it back if I do it soon...I feel like I've thought about it so much now that I can't even figure out how to think about it anymore 🤯 ....short barrel life and the additional cost...recoil is actually a good thing in that it helps you lock in the fundamentals better as far as position while shooting...availability of ammo...just looked on Gunbroker...5 pages of ammo for 6mm Creedmoor...25 pages for 6.5....how long does it take to learn how to load your own and get good enough so your stuff is better than factory ?...unknown to me...I have enough money where the extra barrels wont shortchange the ammo and force me to practice less.

What I want is to bang some steel out to 1200 yards and beyond in windy conditions by using things to factor in the right environmentals and get correct dope, apply it and be successful using it...and I know I got a lot to learn. I also want to get involved with PRS, hunt some stuff with my father-in-law which may include Elk which then may require a different rifle and probably another scope...I don't think with my level of experience I would want to be moving a good scope back and forth on rifles. The scope I just bought is the Razor 4.5-27X56 MRAD with EBR-7C reticle. Super excited to get my first scope...now if I can just feel settled with the caliber choice. What you guys think ?
You're overthinking it, friend. Pick one, shoot the hell out of it, smile while you do, and don't look back. There is no wrong answer between the 6CM and 6.5CMs, especially for your uses. Factory match ammo is available for either. Recoil is mild for either. Cool kid factor exists with either. You literally cannot go wrong.

The area of the case just above the belt is nearly impossible to resize with standard dies. This generally leads to case failure a that point. With my 300WINMAGs, every 3 reloadings, I use this:
It cures the problem and has allowed me to go from only getting 3-5 loadings on a case to cases I have as many as 10 reloads on. It's an extra step that is just sort of a pain in the ass.
I actually would neck size with a collet die and was getting around 7 to 10 reloads. I only ever had 40 rds of ammo for the 300 wby mag and i still have about 30 of the rounds. Pretty sure i lost more cases getting stuck from not using case lube back then.... and thought neck sizing and fl sizing every third was the way to go. Im gonna have to try one of those fl collet dies.

View attachment 7612736

I’m a noob re long range range. Have several friends who are heavy involve. When following their advice I’ve never been steered wrong. Like you after a ton of research I started with a build in 6x47 Lapua. From there I can go 6/6.5 almost anything. You decision isn’t wrong. 6 or 6.5 Creed are a great choices.

I just went through the same process. I ended up going with the MPA PMR Pro in 6.5 CM.

I have another 6.5 and have some ammo and reloading components in hand. I would have had to start from scratch with a 6mm. There is some factory ammo out there (6mm Creedmoor), but finding reloading components is tough. Even finding dies is a stretch. I figured I could go to the 6mm once this barrel is spent and the current ammo/reloading madness has hopefully subsided.

Personnaly, I wouldn't even think about elk hunting with the PMR Pro, at least not where the Elk hang out around here. That M24 barrel is heavy and fully loaded mine is over 17 lbs. As others have suggested, I would pick up a light weight rifle in your caliber of choice for elk. Something like a Tikka T3x Lite is a great rifle at a reasonable price.

I just went through the same process. I ended up going with the MPA PMR Pro in 6.5 CM.

I have another 6.5 and have some ammo and reloading components in hand. I would have had to start from scratch with a 6mm. There is some factory ammo out there (6mm Creedmoor), but finding reloading components is tough. Even finding dies is a stretch. I figured I could go to the 6mm once this barrel is spent and the current ammo/reloading madness has hopefully subsided.

Personnaly, I wouldn't even think about elk hunting with the PMR Pro, at least not where the Elk hang out around here. That M24 barrel is heavy and fully loaded mine is over 17 lbs. As others have suggested, I would pick up a light weight rifle in your caliber of choice for elk. Something like a Tikka T3x Lite is a great rifle at a reasonable price.
I just got my first rifle and went with 6mm CM after i got it I had some buyer remorse and thought i should of gotten a 6.5 CM for better barrel life. But now im actually glad i went with 6mm CM because i can actually find ammo for it right now. I can always just grab another barrel in any short action cal if i need to.

I also agree hunting elk with a 17lb rifle does not sound fun at all.

View attachment 7612736

A few years back, bought a Savage 6.5 CM, loved it so much that when Ruger announced their Precision Rifle in 6.5, got myself one of those, best rifle I've ever had. Shoots flat as heck and the barrel has really held up. I do my own precision reloading, which I also started and began learning 4-5 years back. If you worry about time, find a competent shooter/reloader and pay them to guide your reloading education. Mine was a hoot, tons of time on youtube and more tons of trial and error, all of it was fun, none of it was too pricey......but none with an experienced teacher except online. Sometimes wish I had shortcutted the education. But the education is ALWAYS ongoing........part of the appeal.

Same thing with learning precision shooting; if a goal, take the one day and two day courses, or the longer pro courses if you can afford to, get a handle on it quicker.

Have no experience with the 6 but am sure from what I hear and read that it will do you proud, too.

Good luck and have fun!

either way as long as it makes you happy you choose the right round . best of luck

giphy.gif