• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Did I load to short...just measured ogive

Lrdchaos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2011
Oklahoma
I loaded my first round of 308 shells. I was measuring to the tips and was getting different readings. My factory 168gr measures 2.216-2.220. My 175 smk that I loaded measures 2.208-2.210. Should I pull the bullets and start over? Theae shells will be for my ocw load development.

Loaded rounds measure 2.799-2.806 Oal.

Last edited:
no, you can only compare bullets of the same model/weight, they cant be mismatched for an accurate comparison with a comparator. based on the COAL they are fine, 2.80 is a standard length for .308.

If you measure the bullet OAL, you will probably find the same variance as you getting for COL for the loaded cartridge. Tips vary all the time (inspect them and see how they vary—damage during processing and shipping). Ogives can vary depending on the swaging die used to create the bullet and the pressure used and variations in the components. COL variations within 0.010" is really not an issue, even in handguns, but really NOT for larger rifle cases.
As far as I can tell, the whole worry about COL started when it was shown that a 9mm being shoved 0.25" deeper into a 9x19 case during feeding would raise pressure up to around 65000 psi and the great COL phobia began.