• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Did your tacticool fit your 455 out of the box?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
I got my Boyds Tacticool for my CZ 455 Varmint, the barrel channel isn't large enough for my factory varmint contour barrel. I know exactly how to fix it, I was just curious if this is a common issue with these stocks? I selected bull barrel when I ordered.

Ben

From the Boyd's Tacticool webpage:

These stocks are designed using the 455 heavy barrel or bull barrel and we use an inlett trigger guard and floor plate. All finished parts have been CNC inlet to Boyds' House Action. Variations may exist from firearm to firearm, minor fitting may be required to get that perfect fit to your firearm.

How bad is it Ben?
Too tight the entire length of the channel
or is it just one side/bottom?

good stuff to know as i just ordered one this week same barrel contour and such...

i don't mind doing a little sanding and such for fitting, but i hope it's not a major undertaking.

I had the same experience. Had to enlarge the trigger guard layout as it didn't align with the screws. I was finally left with such a bad taste in my mouth that I ditched the Boyds and bought a Manners and let me tell you what a difference. The theory you get what you pay for sure comes into play in this situation. As a matter of fact I'm trying to unload the Boyds for $50 but now I'm thinking if anyone wants to try it before they order one I'm willing to send it out as long as they cover shipping costs. I'd feel much better about doing that than selling it. Anyone interested let me know

Locobear, is that stock for a regular barrel or a bull barrel?
I just ordered a .22 WMR barrel kit and was wondering about changing the stock.

Locobear, is that stock for a regular barrel or a bull barrel?
I just ordered a .22 WMR barrel kit and was wondering about changing the stock.

It is for a Bull/Varmint Barrel.......BUT.......After installing to the proper torque settings it did not pass the free float paper test. The paper actually would go in about 1/4 way, loosened the screws about 20% for the paper to slide through barrel and stock. The Manners was another story, Perfect in every way with the paper flowing freely between the barrel/stock after being torques to specs.......which amplified the Boyd's flaws that much more.

The Barrel in the picture is the Factory CZ455 Fluted Varmint Barrel(Hard to see from this pic)

Attachments

• IMG_1190.JPG
    IMG_1190.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Mine didn't quite touch the barrel, but a dollar bill would get stuck, so I had to open it up a bit with a sandpaper wrapped socket. Other than that no issues.

Every tacticool I've done requires a little sanding in the barrel channel. Everyone of them is also a candidate for pillar bedding at the min and glass bedding. Lay your action in the stock with the screws removed and push it forwards, backwards, and side to side. You should get 1/16" to 1/8" movement which is not good for accuracy! This isn't limited to just the tacticool either. All stocks for the 455 will most likely have this issue. I've seen it on the manners stocks also. This issue is also common on many other rimfires as well. You'll never get the perfect fit like from a good glass bedding job!

I know the gun needs to be constant each time it gets put into the stock, that is where my "mini-chassis" is going to come in to play. I was just wondering if anyone else had issues with the barrel channel. It is evenly touching both sides so some sanding should do the trick!

Ben

ben I have both a manner's & boyds
2 boyds 1 for a savage mkii, 1 for a cz 455, I was not worried about perfect fit out of the box, as I was going to bed an pillar both
also did custom paint job on both, an yes they needed to be opened a little, no big problem, with a socket an sand paper/\ about 10 min of work was all. both rifles shot great. just shot the MKII Saturday, with some 922a fed ammo, very happy,
as for the manners you could drop in, but as dj said it also needed bedding to get action to set perfect.
which stock would I buy, if price not a bigy go manners, but with a little do it youself, go Boyds, both stocks, prone, or off bench fit me the same, all but the grip, manners fell cooler.but as most know not going to grip my stock much if I am shooting for groups,
we have more Boyds stocked CZ's then maybe 1 manners stock at the TSC
ben will be looking forward to your mini chassie updates, also have a few that want bolt knob work but will be late October before TSC over
good luck
PS DJ trigger guard bad a$$
yo

Last edited:
ben I have both a manner's & boyds
2 boyds 1 for a savage mkii, 1 for a cz 455, I was not worried about perfect fit out of the box, as I was going to bed an pillar both
also did custom paint job on both, an yes they needed to be opened a little, no big problem, with a socket an sand paper/\ about 10 min of work was all. both rifles shot great. just shot the MKII Saturday, with some 922a fed ammo, very happy,
as for the manners you could drop in, but as dj said it also needed bedding to get action to set perfect.
which stock would I buy, if price not a bigy go manners, but with a little do it youself, go Boyds, both stocks, prone, or off bench fit me the same, all but the grip, manners fell cooler.but as most know not going to grip my stock much if I am shooting for groups,
we have more Boyds stocked CZ's then maybe 1 manners stock at the TSC
ben will be looking forward to your mini chassie updates, also have a few that want bolt knob work but will be late October before TSC over
good luck
PS DJ trigger guard bad a$$
yo

I agree I like my Manners better than this Boyds I will admit that! But not sure if I like it $300-$400 more. I may end up selling it and using the money on another rimfire scope. If anyone is interested in a project Manners stock hit me up lol! It need pillar and glass bedding and maybe some paint. It is a wonderful stock tho!

Ben