• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Diet Coke Blues!

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    Just thought I needed to share this......
    I'm not the health nut I need to be, I'm 30 and a little overweight. But the real problem I've ran into is the health effects of diet drinks. I honestly think I was addicted to them, when I drank one, it just made me want another. It got to where I drank 8-12 cans a day.
    Then it happened, at night mostly, I started having heart palpitations. Plus I just felt pretty much like s#%t! Couldn't figure it out.....then it dawned on me, it might be all this artificial sweetner I've been consuming.
    Well, it's been over two weeks since I drank one, and believe me I had withdrawals for the first few days. But, I feel better than I have in a long time, no palpitations, and I've lost over 10 pounds!
    I know there are no warning labels on diet cokes, but I guess anything in excess is unhealthy.......I know it's water and sweet tea for now on for this guy!
    Phillip

Re: Diet Coke Blues!

Sweet tea isint that bad for you as long as you use a good sugar substitute and drink it in excess , probably 20% of my water intake is from green tea sweetened with Stevia

buy some limes at the store and cut em up and put em in your water glass.

Ads a little flavor and its a bit different then lemon/water.

Stay away from tea's. Theres tons of caffiene in a lot of it.

Tea also has health benefits, especially green tea. The caffeine is tolerable in moderation. ALL things in moderation.

BTW- green tea acts as a natural appetite suppressant

If you sweeten it, try using honey or stevia

Yea the kidneys dont tolerate its well same goes for coffee but in moderation and if their is plenty of water in the diet it will help keep the kidneys flushed and happy , you can also drink 6-8 ounces of pure cranberry juice or extract will have good healthy benifits too , i use pour cranberry , black cherry and pomagranet juices to flavor my water and sweeten with a little stevia. This allows me to nearly double my water intake because it taste good

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Traditional iced tea, whether sweet or unsweet, is inherently not good for you. A good friend of mine who is a urologist told me it's one of the leading causes of kidney stones. </div></div>

This is incorrect/incomplete information.

Tea is not "inherently bad" for the health, and neither is caffeine. Your urologist friend apparently failed to mention that tea consumption is only really a concern for those people who have a history of kidney stones, which is about 6% of the adult male population in the U.S. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kustats/index.htm#kidney

The rest of us can still enjoy our tea, along with the 35 other foods chronic kidney stone sufferers have to limit in their diet including beer, blackberries, chocolate, instant coffee, leafy vegetables, nuts (including peanut butter), and strawberries. You wouldn't suggest that beer and peanut butter are "inherently bad" for anyone?
    smile.gif

On the other side of the coin, some claim tea is actually good for disease prevention, but even that is questionable according to the Mayo Clinic: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080402212206.htm

I think the best advice is probably "everything in moderation."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucky_Number49</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Traditional iced tea, whether sweet or unsweet, is inherently not good for you. A good friend of mine who is a urologist told me it's one of the leading causes of kidney stones. </div></div>

This is incorrect/incomplete information.

Tea is not "inherently bad" for the health, and neither is caffeine. Your urologist friend apparently failed to mention that tea consumption is only really a concern for those people who have a history of kidney stones, which is about 6% of the adult male population in the U.S. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kustats/index.htm#kidney

The rest of us can still enjoy our tea, along with the 35 other foods chronic kidney stone sufferers have to limit in their diet including beer, blackberries, chocolate, instant coffee, leafy vegetables, nuts (including peanut butter), and strawberries. You wouldn't suggest that beer and peanut butter are "inherently bad" for anyone?
    smile.gif

On the other side of the coin, some claim tea is actually good for disease prevention, but even that is questionable according to the Mayo Clinic: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080402212206.htm

I think the best advice is probably "everything in moderation."

</div></div>

Please cite your source as to where it tea causing stones is only prevalent in those with a history of stones. Because unless you can site a white paper, peer journal review, or some other credible source, your refute is not valid. I'll take the advice of a highly respected and published board certified urologist.

It is also documented there are ample negative effects of caffeine as well.

But I will agree that anything in moderation is key.

I take a pitcher, slice two whole pieces of fruit, fill with water and leave in fridge. Cold, always available, and I eat less too.

I thin things like kidney stones are like cholestrol , their is a huge genetic part that plays a role , i know people who nearly live of Popeys fried chicken and their diet is completely horable yet their cholestrol isin't "that" bad but others who take reasonable care to try to keep their high cholestrol at bay are still on meds to help it , same with high blood pressure , some of us are just geneticly marked for some health issues.
    Like those of us who have a history of adult onset diebetic , its in my family and generaly comes about in the mid to late 40's but looking at the history of diet of these people their diets were high in precessed grains and breads , I know that i've very carb sensitive so i stay away from them limiting myself to only about 1/4 or the RDA and half of that comes from fresh fruit!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please cite your source as to where it tea causing stones is only prevalent in those with a history of stones. Because unless you can site a white paper, peer journal review, or some other credible source, your refute is not valid. I'll take the advice of a highly respected and published board certified urologist.

It is also documented there are ample negative effects of caffeine as well.

But I will agree that anything in moderation is key. </div></div>

From the <span style="font-weight: bold">National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases</span>, a division of the <span style="font-weight: bold">U.S. Department of Health and Human Services</span> comes this direct quote...

"Doctors do not always know what causes a stone to form. While certain foods may promote stone formation in people who are susceptible, scientists do not believe that eating any specific food causes stones to form in people who are not susceptible."

The link for you: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/stonesadults/ Just skip to the section titled "What causes a stone to form?"

You will also find on that page a list of foods, in order from highest concentration to lowest concentration of oxelate. Oxelate is the naturally occurring chemical that may aggravate stone development in those who are susceptible to stone development. Tea finishes tenth, behind spinach, peanuts and chocolate. So are we all supposed to avoid Reese's Peanut Butter cups too, according to your doctor friend?

Ah, hell! What do I know? I am board certified, but not in urology. And I have never been published. We can discuss caffeine next if you like? I have read some very interesting studies on the health benefits of moderate caffeine consumption.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn dudes. Just drink beer. Problem solved. </div></div>

I prefer bourbon. But be warned of the worst side effect of all...it makes you willing to sleep with ugly women.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucky_Number49</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn dudes. Just drink beer. Problem solved. </div></div>

I prefer bourbon. <span style="font-weight: bold">But be warned of the worst side effect of all...it makes you willing to sleep with ugly women.</span>
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

You don't know the half of it. Trust me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crazy bay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shank, why the skinny girl in your avatar? <span style="font-weight: bold">Are you converting?</span> </div></div>

NEVER!!! I just wanted give the internet booty-scratchers here some new stroking material.

I just read a paper this morning about the side effects of aspartame. Aspartame, found in diet soda, causes excessive thirst and increased craving for sweets. Another page or so of symptoms that are broken down into bodily groups that can be effected. Among the most serious, it lists palpitations, tachycardia, irreversible brain damage, birth defects (including mental retardation), peptic ulcers, sever depression, aggressive behavior, suicidal tendencies, and death among the most sever symptoms of aspartame toxicity. It also mentions aspartame's additive qualities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucky_Number49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    From the <span style="font-weight: bold">National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases</span>, a division of the <span style="font-weight: bold">U.S. Department of Health and Human Services</span> comes this direct quote...

"Doctors do not always know what causes a stone to form. While certain foods may promote stone formation in people who are susceptible, scientists do not believe that eating any specific food causes stones to form in people who are not susceptible."

The link for you: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/stonesadults/ Just skip to the section titled "What causes a stone to form?"

You will also find on that page a list of foods, in order from highest concentration to lowest concentration of oxelate. Oxelate is the naturally occurring chemical that may aggravate stone development in those who are susceptible to stone development. Tea finishes tenth, behind spinach, peanuts and chocolate. So are we all supposed to avoid Reese's Peanut Butter cups too, according to your doctor friend?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes, you are</span>

Ah, hell! What do I know? I am board certified, <span style="font-weight: bold">but not in urology</span>. And <span style="font-weight: bold">I have never been published</span>. We can discuss caffeine next if you like? I have read some very interesting studies on the health benefits of moderate caffeine consumption.</div></div>

Interesting about your food ranking with regards to the level of Oxelate.

Here is an abstract from Kidney International showing that many of the tests performed to measure Oxetate may not be accurate, and that the parameters may vary greatly leaving tea as being "tenth" questionable at best.

http://www.nature.com/ki/journal/v57/n4/full/4491506a.html

With references.

Robertson, WG & Hughes, H: Importance of mild hyperoxaluria in the pathogenesis of urolithiasis: New evidence from studies in the Arabian peninsula. Scanning Microsc 1993 7:391–402, | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |
    Wandzilak, TR, D'andre, SD, Davis, PA, Williams, HE: Effect of high dose C on urinary oxalate levels. J Urol 1994 151:834–837, | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |
    Holmes, RP, Goodman, HO, Assimos, DG: Dietary oxalate and its intestinal absorption. Scanning Microsc 1995 9:1109–1120, | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |
    Williams, HE & Smith, LH: Primary hyperoxaluria, in The Metabolic Basis of Inherited Disease, 1983, edited by Stanbury JB, Wyngaarden JM, Fredrickson DS, Goldstein JL, Brown SMS, New York, McGraw-Hill, pp 204–208
    Holmes, RP, Goodman, HO, Assimos, DG: Metabolic effects of an oxalate-free diet, in Urolithiasis 1996, 1996, edited by Pak CYC, Resnick MI, Preminger GM, Dallas, Millet the Printer, pp 167–168
    Horner, HT & Wagner, BL: Calcium oxalate formation in higher plants, in Calcium Oxalate in Biological Systems, 1995, edited by Khan SR, Boca Raton, CRC Press, pp 53–72
    Lane, BG: Oxalate, germin, and the extracellular matrix of higher plants. FASEB J 1994 8:294–301, | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |
    Sanz, P & Reig, R: Clinical and pathological findings in fatal plant oxalosis. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 1992 13:342–345, | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |
    Allison, MJ, Daniel, SL, Cornick, NA: Oxalate degrading bacteria, in Calcium Oxalate in Biological Systems, 1995, edited by Khan SR, Boca Raton, CRC Press, pp 131–168
    Holmes, RP: Measurement of urinary oxalate and citrate by capillary electrophoresis and indirect ultraviolet absorbance. Clin Chem 1995 41:1297–1301, | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |
    Menon, M & Mahle, CJ: Ion-chromatographic measurement of oxalate in unprocessed urine. Clin Chem 1983 29:369–371, | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |
    Hagen, L, Walker, VR, Sutton, RA: Plasma and urinary oxalate and glycolate in healthy subjects. Clin Chem 1993 39:134–138, | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |
    Libert, B & Franceschi, VR: Oxalate in crop plants. J Agric Food Chem 1987 35:926–938, | Article | ISI | ChemPort |
    Brinkley, L, McGuire, J, Gregory, J, Pak, CY: Bioavailability of oxalate in foods. Urology 1981 17:534–538, | Article | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |
    Brinkley, LJ, Gregory, J, Pak, CYC: A further study of oxalate bioavailability in foods. J Urol 1990 144:94–96, | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |
    Zarembski, PM & Hodgkinson, A: The oxalate content of English diets. Br J Nutr 1962 16:672–681,
    Kasidas, GP & Rose, GA: Oxalate content of some common foods: Determination by an enzymatic method. J Hum Nutr 1980 34:255–266, | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |
    Brezinski, E, Durning, AM, Grasse, B, Fusselman, E, Ciaraldi, T: Oxalate Content of Selected Foods. 1996 San Diego, University of California
    Hodgkinson, A & Zarembski, PM: The determination of oxalic acid in urine. Analyst 1961 86:16–21, | Article | ISI | ChemPort |
    Holmes, RP, Assimos, DG, Goodman, HO: Genetic and dietary influences on urinary oxalate excretion. Urol Res 1998 26:195–200, | Article | PubMed | ISI | ChemPort |

Mike,

Your article doesn't disprove what I posted. It definitely doesn't make your urologist right. We all make mistakes, doctors included. No point in debating the subject any more.

Pour yourself a drink and have a good night. Just make sure it's not tea.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucky_Number49</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

Your article doesn't disprove what I posted. It definitely doesn't make your urologist right. We all make mistakes, doctors included. No point in debating the subject any more.

Pour yourself a drink and have a good night. Just make sure it's not tea.
    smile.gif

</div></div>

I'm going to have something a little stronger than tea.

And I toast to us hitting our targets downrange.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crazy bay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shank, why the skinny girl in your avatar? <span style="font-weight: bold">Are you converting?</span> </div></div>

NEVER!!! I just wanted give the internet booty-scratchers here some new stroking material.</div></div>

Fair enough. I better get to stroking. Leave it on there a few more days.

What ever you do dont start back on them. I went about a month without drinking a coke, and like an idiot i drank a vault. Within minutes I was sick as a dog. I know a vault was about the worst I could drink but dang, I felt horrible.

If you have up Diet Coke and went to sweet tea you are not doing yourself any favors. I would cut the sweet tea and stick to water, crystal light is an alternative as well for flavor. I have seen my dad drop weight super fast just by going with waters and putting in a packet of crystal light. I cant drink diet drinks, the nutrasweet gives me headaches.

I stick to water and G2 Gatorade primarily. Milk and juice in moderation helps. But I stick to one weight range, to help me lift, I need the calories and protein.

8-10 a day and goofy heart rhythm. might have also been the caffeine.

FWIW artificial sweeteners make my joints hurt.

amen to club soda. i drink it like... water.
    smile.gif

I've leaned off the sweet tea since I first posted.....drinking lots of water. Feel really good too! Sweet tea has always been in my family, it just feels natural to have it with meals. Water takes a bit to get used to, I know if I don't make lifestyle changes my lifestyle may change me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5rshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What ever you do dont start back on them. I went about a month without drinking a coke, and like an idiot i drank a vault. Within minutes I was sick as a dog. I know a vault was about the worst I could drink but dang, I felt horrible.</div></div>

I used to drink that shit a lot, gave it up because it was giving me the shakes. I was also had one once when I was on a thermogenic... that was stupid, I thought I was gonna die.

Way too much stimulant crap in those drinks.

Wow I never thought that artificial sweeteners and or caffeine could cause heart palpitations etc. I at times am a half gallon a day diet dew drinker. I used to be addicted to blue monsters. Would go through 3 Sams club cases a month..thought might not be the healthiest and switched to diet mt dew thinking maybe a little better...well I guess I was wrong

like I said in another thread, it's a "start" but not a "solution", since diet sodas have their own problems.

I drink diet coke occasionally, maybe 2-3 a week, sometimes less. All things in moderation!

Diet Coke= Very Addictive.. I am an outside salesman and have been for years. Here was my cycle.
    Breakfast= Coffee (1-cup)
    10:00am= 1 12oz Can Diet Coke
    Noon Meal= Large Diet Coke, usually in glass or cup from Rest.
    1400= Stop to get another 120z Can
    1700= Dinner with Large cup and usually one refill.
    I had the heat palipatations and headaches getting off the stuff. Was hooked on the phosporic acid reaction on the tongue fix, I went to Pellagrino and Perrier Water, hopefully I can get down to non-carb water. I occassionally do the 1/2 sweet 1/2 unsweet tea... I can tell you to me it is much harder habit to break than the pack and a half a day smokes....
    Good Luck. Glad I woke up.
    George of the jungle

At one point I was drinking 12 or so Diet coke or pepsi cans a day. My body was just not feeling right and I could actually start to feel my kidneys and it was not good. I went to coffee in the morning and water or gatorade during the day. I feel ten times better. I didnt realize that I was addicted until I drank it like that for over a year.I dont think that one here or there will hurt but nobody should drink more than 3 cans a day. Its worth it to kick the habbit.

There was a piece on the national news last night (ABC & CBS) about some possible connections between diet sodas and strokes.It is VERY preliminary but you can probably get more information on their websites.

BTW- the King Soopers (aka Kroger) chains are now carrying a line of sodas made with Stevia. I have no idea how good they are, I have yet to try them, but I did see it in passing the other day. Check it out if you are looking for something different.

I had the same symptoms with the palpitations at night, etc... though I did not drink that much diet soda (maybe a can or two a day), it was more of dehydration from lack of water. Drinking a minimum 64 oz everyday cured the symptoms.