• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Different ammo for 100m than 50m?

Hawk45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2002
Ohio
Really getting back into shooting more .22 and broke out my old stash of ammo. Wanted to take a more serious look at what my rifle shoots best, so I took some mid level stuff out to the range to see how things grouped.

The 50m results were fine, but I was surprise how bad groups were at 100m with ammo that shot well at 50m. Do you shoot different ammo for 50m and 100m, 200m etc?

Here is how things ranked in testing for 5rd groups out of my CZ452 American:

50M:
1. Eley Target (yellow)- Tightest by far
2. Wolf MT - Decent but flyers
3. CCI Standard - meh..
4. Federal GM 711B - Suck
5. Eley Club (orange) - Suck

100M: None really great
1. Eley Club (orange) - most consistent
2. Wolf MT - MOAish
3. Eley Target (yellow)- MOAish
4. Federal GM 711B - MOAish w/ more fliers
5. CCI Standard - Suck

Re: Different ammo for 100m than 50m?

Same thing here too, CCI subs will shoot almost single hole in my MKII savage with maybe 1 flyer at 50yds. When I got out to 100yds CCIs look like a shotgun pattern but the Wolf target shoots moa.

Re: Different ammo for 100m than 50m?

I like doing it all with one ammo, it keeps it simple and I don't need to clean and re-season my bore if I do it this way. Alot of people don't have a problem making a compromise with one ammo. I'm one of them
smile.gif
But for others who want the most their setup can produce, might look for the best ammo for each range. I read somewhere that RWS R50 didn't shoot very well at short range (ironically what it was intended for... hence R"50") but really stabilized at long distances, even rivalling the shooter's personal favorite type of ammo. If I remember right it worked better but I could be wrong. Anyways, yes, some bullets just can't make it long range. To put it into perspective, short range bench rest is best shot with flat base bullets. They're proven to be more accurate in most cases. But at longer ranges they fall apart and leave the shooter in need of something with better aerodynamics and better ballistic coefficients. So having different bullets and loads for centerfire shooting in different scenarions essentially. The same can be said for rimfire shooting.

-Dylan