• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Different Ruger American.

hornet shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
Canyon lake Tx
I got this rifle for free so i decided to upgrade it a little. I have only put a few rounds through it when it was stock with iron sights. I hope it turns out to be a shooter! I will have a full accuracy report in the next few days with the ammo pictured. All accuracy testing will be 5 shot groups at 100yds. I have yet to find a decent accuracy test on this rifle so maybe I will be first.
s1181.photobucket.com/user/chaltermann/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3370F38C-2C03-4346-BB67-E9061F17509D_zpsgn63h6xo.jpg.html]
3370F38C-2C03-4346-BB67-E9061F17509D_zpsgn63h6xo.jpg
[/URL]

here is mine. the group is 10 rounds from 50yds. this is pretty typical. i tried 100. lets just say those groups wont get posted!

most importantly, what stock is that?

Attachments

• IMG_20140111_174849.jpg
    IMG_20140111_174849.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20140111_165536.jpg
    IMG_20140111_165536.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 20
The stock is Boyd's Tacticool in American Walnut with high luster finish. your rifle looks like shoots half decent. Have you tried any match ammo? other than that 1rd flyer looks like you are right around 1 MOA.

Last edited:
i have not tried any match ammo. the ammo for that pic was remington golden bullet bucket o' bullets.

i have cci standard that does much better. i don't have much of that, so i tend to chew thru the remington. i like to put lolly pops on the berm at 50yds and shoot those. when you do that with subsonics, the smack from the lolly pop blowing up is quiet impressive!

i have been thinking of getting the boyds stock, in black synthetic though. how is the fit? is the stock pretty stiff? what are your thoughts on the stock? the ruger stock is kinda flimsy, as you know.

i also had mine cut down to 16" from 20".

I love the Boyd's stock this is my second one. You can not beat them for the price. Fit and Finnish is excellent on this stock. No inletting was required. The fore end is very stiff you can load nicely on a bipod. Just FYI all of Boyd's stocks are made of wood. Even the black textured model, it's just painted laminate. My Ruger is also cut, recrowned, and threaded at 17".

Ummm yeah... I think I am going to keep it!

I am going to try and shoot a few fox with a buddy this weekend and wanted to use this rifle. So I zeroed at 50yds and moved back to 110yds for some quick dope. I shot these three 5 shot groups prone off of a bipod with no rear bag using CCI Segmented
Hollow Point Subsonic.

I found this rifles go to round. Eley Match Subsonic hollow point is where it's at, they do great on small game as well. I shot 9 fox last night from 10yds to 120yds and every one was DRT. Here is a pic of one that took a round through both shoulders at 100yds. He didn't make it a foot from where he was shot.

I ended up having some time to try the Eley before the hunt and they are crazy accurate out of this rifle. The main reason I used the Eley was that the rifle was zeroed for it when I left. The CCI would have been plenty accurate though.

I found this rifles go to round. Eley Match Subsonic hollow point is where it's at, they do great on small game as well. I shot 9 fox last night from 10yds to 120yds and every one was DRT. Here is a pic of one that took a round through both shoulders at 100yds. He didn't make it a foot from where he was shot.
hornet shooter
heck yea,
we now have night hunting, an ol gray is one of my fav`s
I also use a 22lr an try an call them in close,
but I am having a short barrel 221 FB built, an plane on using a can, because some times ol yote shows up.
still one of our senior shooters at the range was shooting one of these new rugers an must say he shot it dam well
his had the best factory trigger I have every pulled for factory,set
how was yours, did it feel great, are was his just a exception
o by the way damm good shooting, I really need to get out to TX to do a preditor hunt some time
YO

hornet shooter
heck yea,
we now have night hunting, an ol gray is one of my fav`s
I also use a 22lr an try an call them in close,
but I am having a short barrel 221 FB built, an plane on using a can, because some times ol yote shows up.
still one of our senior shooters at the range was shooting one of these new rugers an must say he shot it dam well
his had the best factory trigger I have every pulled for factory,set
how was yours, did it feel great, are was his just a exception
o by the way damm good shooting, I really need to get out to TX to do a preditor hunt some time
YO

Predator hunting in Texas is awesome! The best fox night was 52 grays in 11 hours. My go to predator rifle is a Ruger M77 .22 Hornet that shoots 34gr vmax into one hole. I was actually alittle disappointed with Rugers trigger. From factory it pulled around 6/7lb but I have adjusted it all the way down. The trigger now breaks at around 3lb but has more creep than I like. Still it's not bad for a factory trigger on a $250 rifle. The coons were out hitting the protein feeders hard, we ended the night with 11 coons and not single one came to the call. Just popped them off of the feeders. Lol

All targets were shot at 110yds outdoors.

CCI Velociters.

CCI Mini Mags

And... The winner! Eley Match Hollow Point.
s1181.photobucket.com/user/chaltermann/media/Mobile%20Uploads/5D5168C3-9D80-4FCD-947C-E1308F3A9655_zpsvmskq6qz.jpg.html]
5D5168C3-9D80-4FCD-947C-E1308F3A9655_zpsvmskq6qz.jpg
[/URL]

The Velociters and mini mags actually did better than I expected.

Subsonics are all too often overlooked as hunting rounds.
When I lived in a small town, my neighborhood was overrun with ornamental eaters.
The last year I was there, I took out about 14 of them with sub-sonics, ranging from 15 yards to 125 yards.
The goal was to not drop them in their tracks (a yard), but to give them enough bad medicine to allow them to slip off into one of the several nearby woodlots and lay down somewhere.
I could always tell when the shot was successful, because of the unmistakable puh-lop sound a gut shot makes. That and the circling buzzards the next day or so.

The fun of the challenge was time the shots when there was no car traffic, police patrol, or foot traffic. Having a subsidized housing complex at the end of my street meant comings and goings (drug traffic I imagine) at all hours.

I did mis-calculate one night in a damned blizzard and dropped one just about where it stood.
Nothing like a 3 AM drag in a snowstorm to get the cardio workout.

...The fun of the challenge was time the shots when there was no car traffic, police patrol, or foot traffic. Having a subsidized housing complex at the end of my street meant comings and goings (drug traffic I imagine) at all hours.

I did mis-calculate one night in a damned blizzard and dropped one just about where it stood.
Nothing like a 3 AM drag in a snowstorm to get the cardio workout.

LOL... Can't help but to chuckle at this. Never crossed my mind to wound them and let them run off and die. I've always gone for the "drop it in its tracks" shot just because. I'll have to try it your way!

-Kid

LOL... Can't help but to chuckle at this. Never crossed my mind to wound them and let them run off and die. I've always gone for the "drop it in its tracks" shot just because. I'll have to try it your way!

-Kid

It's very practical for discreet pest control. Not something you'd want to do as a trophy hunter, but you do learn a lot about how ridiculous it is to hunt whitetails with a 300 mag.

I picked up a Ruger American in .22 MAG this past weekend and was finally able to get to the range today. At 100yds it wasn't pretty. I will have to try different ammo, I was using Remington 40gn stuff. Nice rifles though.

I'm lovin' the look of this stock so much that I've ordered one in maple for my Savage Mk II. Not fond of the "Tacticool" moniker, but it looks like a good target rifle stock.

a young man showed up at range today, with one of these in 22mag
he had many different loads, but i think his best was a 50gr win

Hornet, how is it going in Tx my friend, still wacking an stacking,them Gray's
some day, some day, will make that trip out there,
what is the best time of year, for a do all hunt(hogs, dogs,fox)
an let me not to forget some fine TX bobbie's
YO

Last edited:
a young man showed up at range today, with one of these in 22mag
he had many different loads, but i think his best was a 50gr win

Hornet, how is it going in Tx my friend, still wacking an stacking,them Gray's
some day, some day, will make that trip out there,
what is the best time of year, for a do all hunt(hogs, dogs,fox)

an let me not to forget some fine TX bobbie's
YO

Early spring! I have my best results in Febuary-March. Here is a small cat I got early in the year.

I picked up a Ruger American in .22 MAG this past weekend and was finally able to get to the range today. At 100yds it wasn't pretty. I will have to try different ammo, I was using Remington 40gn stuff. Nice rifles though.

Try the federal 50 gr hollow point. My savage loves them and they'd do well on game as well.

I'd love to, if I could find them haha. We have a limited selection available in the area. I have some hornady 35gn I'm going to try today and I have some 45gn stuff I have to try as well.