• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Different sight for an AK47

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    I finally bought my first AK (PSA ak-47 GF4) after sticking to mostly bolt actions and AR's. Any recommendation on what kind of sight and mount (AK comes with side mount ready for something like a midwest industries mount) to put on this this?

Here are a few requirements:

1. I would like something different than I already have on my other rifles, so preferably no aimpoint T1, aimpoint m3 type, eotech red dot, regular scopes.

2. It's also an AK that will basically just be used for fun and absolutely nothing serious, so I've been thinking about going cheaper than the "gold standards" I usually go with (aimpoint/eotech/trijicon). Preferably sub $500 with mount.

3. I've been thinking of trying something with magnification for a change. ACOG like. But this isn't a requirement and I'm not sure if it's right for something like this that won't see much range.

Suggestions?

Primary Arms has several prismatic type optics with fixed power from 2X-5X and they use the ACOG mount pattern. Many optic rail options for those as well. Not too expensive and seem to be legit for your needs. I run Aimpoints on my AK platform rifles but have been toying with running a 2X for the 5.45. Do a search for Rob Ski on Youtube. He has lots of videos with optics for the AK platform. He's also entertaining.

Reactions: army_eod
    I put the MWI rail on and have a vortex dot and magnifier. Works well (AK default sights SUCK--biggest weakness of platform). Nice for a toss around range toy.

I'm running a Vortex Crossfire on an UltimAK rail. IMO its a fantastic setup and not particularly expensive. I've run it out to 500 yards and had no issues hitting man sized steel reliably. Which is good enough for that rifle for me anyway. It really shines from point blank out to ~200 yards though.

Primary Arms has several prismatic type optics with fixed power from 2X-5X and they use the ACOG mount pattern. Many optic rail options for those as well. Not too expensive and seem to be legit for your needs. I run Aimpoints on my AK platform rifles but have been toying with running a 2X for the 5.45. Do a search for Rob Ski on Youtube. He has lots of videos with optics for the AK platform. He's also entertaining.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out Rob Ski.

How is the Primary Arms stuff compared to Vortex? I have alot of respect for vortex as I have had a few of their items, but no experience with PA.

I don't own any of their magnified optics. My friend has one for his 300 BO and it was pretty decent. The glass was good for the price. His is the 1st or 2nd generation and I had no issues with it. That's why I started looking at the 2X for the future. I feel the 7.62 x 39 is good for about 300 yards but I know they are capable to hit further. The reticles are made with a drop compensator type reticle for the cartridge you have. The one for the 300 BO was pretty much dead on for both his subs and supersonic loads, well good enough for man size targets.

You could always go with the Russian 4x type optics (PSOP I think?). They come with a mount. There are several Russian optics on the market but many of them sit pretty high off the gun for a chin weld.

The 3x primary arms prism scope and the RS Regulate side mount to mount it is a nice setup for a 7.62x39 AK. I would suggest you get good with the iron sights and worry about optics later if you choose. Its fun plinking with irons all in itself. You will find out that with a little practice an ak or sks can make short work of man size tatgets at 400 yards with irons alone. Anyone that says an AK is ineffective at carbine distances doesn’t know what they are talking about. 7.62x39 is very unforgiving in the wind but you got 30 chances and more in the pouch.

Anyone that says an AK is ineffective at carbine distances doesn’t know what they are talking about. 7.62x39 is very unforgiving in the wind but you got 30 chances and more in the pouch.

I have come to accept that the vast majority of shooters have never shot past 200 yards, and have no idea what happens after that point.

x39 suffers from the same ballistic rumors as 308 where It magically falls out of the sky at x distance. I have almost no interest in the caliber, but it hits steel with authority at 400 yards.

Last edited:
    Reactions: wade2big
    The 3x primary arms prism scope and the RS Regulate side mount to mount it is a nice setup for a 7.62x39 AK. I would suggest you get good with the iron sights and worry about optics later if you choose. Its fun plinking with irons all in itself. You will find out that with a little practice an ak or sks can make short work of man size tatgets at 400 yards with irons alone. Anyone that says an AK is ineffective at carbine distances doesn’t know what they are talking about. 7.62x39 is very unforgiving in the wind but you got 30 chances and more in the pouch.

I am comfortable shooting with iron sites.....I didn't have a problem hitting the 4" gong at 100 yds at the range after sighting it in. (Which is a huge target compared to what I'm used to for bolt actions ha) We still have a fire hazard in effect here in AZ so I haven't had a chance to take it out further yet. I don't need a sight, it's just nicer using a sight.

Looks like alot of people are vouching for the Primary arms, so I'll take a hard look at that!

Last edited:
    Reactions: wade2big
    For AK related items:
    "ROBSKI" is a great source!
    *PrimaryArms (AK Optics)
    *Eastwave (AK Optics , Night Vision, mounts, etc.)
    *Kalinka Optics (AK optics, accessories and parts)
    *Kvar (AK parts and accessories)
    *DesertFoxSales (AK parts and accessories)
    *RTG Parts (AK Parts and accessories)

73EE7C65-A95F-4714-99C5-CAA7BC8B128D.jpeg
    GGG has the cat’s ass in rear sight leaves. I took off my optic when I installed one.

I wouldn’t think this sight is more than a gimmick considering the peep is so far from the shooter’s eye. I have never tried one and considering your opinion, I may be wrong.
    You are wrong. It works very well. I hate the stock AK sight. With this I can rapid fire accurately. GGG doesn’t make stupid things. They work.

For optic mounts here are some options:

RS Regulate
    Master Mount
    Midwest

KNS has a new iron sight for AK’s.

For optic mounts here are some options:

RS Regulate
    Master Mount
    Midwest

KNS has a new iron sight for AK’s.
    Yea, I've narrowed it down to either Midwest or AK Master Mount. Any pros/cons

As for the scope itself, I will likely go with the primary arms 3x.

I’ll second the Ultimak gas tube/rail.

I’ll put in another vote for Primary Arms I only have the SLx Red Dots but I really like them. They have 50,000hr battery and are pretty damn crisp for a $130 red dot.

Reactions: EastBayRidge
    I’ll second the Ultimak gas tube/rail.

I’ll put in another vote for Primary Arms I only have the SLx Red Dots but I really like them. They have 50,000hr battery and are pretty damn crisp for a $130 red dot.
    He doesn’t want a red dot so both your choices are out. Lol

Yea, I've narrowed it down to either Midwest or AK Master Mount. Any pros/cons

As for the scope itself, I will likely go with the primary arms 3x.
    I have a Master Mount on a MAK and am waiting on a RS for a ZPAP. The MM is a good piece of hardware but I think the RS gives more flexibility.

I mounted a PA Gen 3 3x on a VZ58 and like it. The PA 2x prism is supposed to be an excellent optic. Steiner makes two lines of prism optics that look very good. If interested in an ACOG check out Browe for a very interesting alternative.

Yep. I have two of the PA 1x prism optics. They are made in China. I don't care. They are great products. I have an Arsenal detachable optic mount for the AK, however, as I mentioned, I removed the mount because I like to keep the AK more basic and as light as possible. I am running the Arsenal SG-21 banned by Obama AK..