• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Digital fingerprints for e-file

samb300

GCP Rifle Co. Accuracy Obsession Vision Products
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have a suppressor waiting for me to do paperwork, and my dealer said they are now doing e-files.

It's easy to do a digital passport photo, but all my copies of fingerprint cards are printed out. For a non Silencer Shop dealer, does it make more sense to just mail the fingerprint cards in separately for the e-file? Or should I try to find a place with a high res scanner to digitize the print cards I have?

From what I can tell, Silencer Shop won't give me a digital file of prints if I get them done at a kiosk.

Thanks,

Sam

I have submitted 50 or 60 sets of fingerprints now to BATFE. Getting a state CCW permit requires fingerprints. This past week just got 6 more sets to have available to submit with future eForm 1's. The nice fingerprint lady at the Sheriff's substation said she has been doing it for 30 years and it drives her crazy that at least in FL, even Florida Dept of LE will not accept electronic fingerprints. It took 2 days to get the ink out from the fingernails and I keep them close cropped. I am pretty sure the first step @ the BATFE is to scan the hard copy fingerprint cards into their data base system. Not sure about the next statement, but I believe an electronic fingerprint system which I have done for other agencies, is a lot more accurate in documenting unique whorls of the finger tips than the variable of how hard your fingers got rolled in ink / how much ink applied etc during the archaic process of ink-on-paper.

I would like to see the BATFE adopt two policies. Accept electronic fingerprints from a bonded source and once you have successfully submitted an application you get a 5 year window of their acceptance for any other individual eForm applications. Scorched your fingerprints in fire ? Doctor note required.

Reactions: Clyde-O
    If you can find a SS kiosk, then I recommend goin the digital route. Faster, easier, and stays in their system forever. Makes buying a can SUPER easy from now on. 👍🏼

When E-Filed a couple of SBR’s last year I just mailed in the prints USPS Priority… Still approved in 14 days

Haven’t used personally but was researching before going alternate route.

Reactions: 1911hombre
    I would like to see the BATFE adopt two policies. Accept electronic fingerprints from a bonded source and once you have successfully submitted an application you get a 5 year window of their acceptance for any other individual eForm applications. Scorched your fingerprints in fire ? Doctor note required.
    Me too, except that would be logical and make things easier for everyone which is the point of the gubmint, make it difficult and time consuming with maximum hoop jumping. Also after your first stamp already listed it would take 5 minutes to look up your ID and list of stamps in the database, check one thumb print, NICS and approved. Literally the same day. But that also would be logical which nothing in the gubmint is, especially the AFT......... Woe is me!!
    FJB

PSA-so why not accept electronic fingerprints for Form 1's?? And how is it okay to accept "electronic documents" for eForm1's and not fingerprints ?

Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 5.41.58 PM.png

Reactions: lash
    I have a suppressor waiting for me to do paperwork, and my dealer said they are now doing e-files.

It's easy to do a digital passport photo, but all my copies of fingerprint cards are printed out. For a non Silencer Shop dealer, does it make more sense to just mail the fingerprint cards in separately for the e-file? Or should I try to find a place with a high res scanner to digitize the print cards I have?

From what I can tell, Silencer Shop won't give me a digital file of prints if I get them done at a kiosk.

Thanks,

Sam
    Silencer Shop has cards that you can buy and once completed, you send them back, and they put them in their system. It would be worth a look.

Thanks,

Sam
    My buddies place does it that way with every efile. It does not matter one bit. It doesn't slow it down at all. I know because my buddies place does it so much and tracks their stuff. He says ghe SS fee is just too much so he stopped being a SS dealer, but he makes suppressors and e-files them with regular fingerprint cards and it works great and fast.... when the nfa site works and all that is

Silencer Shop has cards that you can buy and once completed, you send them back, and they put them in their system. It would be worth a look.
    I was wondering this, I know Capitol armory scanned my dads physical card in so I don’t have to resubmit print him each time as he is on the trust but doesn’t live in this city.

Thanks,

Sam
    I believe UPS stores do digital fingerprinting. Not sure in what form they give the file to you.

I have submitted 50 or 60 sets of fingerprints now to BATFE. Getting a state CCW permit requires fingerprints. This past week just got 6 more sets to have available to submit with future eForm 1's. The nice fingerprint lady at the Sheriff's substation said she has been doing it for 30 years and it drives her crazy that at least in FL, even Florida Dept of LE will not accept electronic fingerprints. It took 2 days to get the ink out from the fingernails and I keep them close cropped. I am pretty sure the first step @ the BATFE is to scan the hard copy fingerprint cards into their data base system. Not sure about the next statement, but I believe an electronic fingerprint system which I have done for other agencies, is a lot more accurate in documenting unique whorls of the finger tips than the variable of how hard your fingers got rolled in ink / how much ink applied etc during the archaic process of ink-on-paper.

Getting electronically produced fingerprints for my state CCW went through just fine, even though the machine marked several as bad. I am assuming that if I tried the electronic print route and the machine griped about some of the prints, the BATF would send them back to be redone. Has anyone had this happen?

The problem is that I'm getting up there in years and the skin on my fingers is so thin that prints are really hard to get, even when done by people who have done it daily for decades. For instance, of three Form 4s that I've submitted (using inked print cards done by the sheriff's office), two came back to have prints redone.

Thank you,
    Richard

Resurrecting an old thread. Yesterday, I asked SS to give me a copy of my kiosk-scanned fingerprint file.

They refused.

The employee who was on the other end of the chat stated that employees can not obtain their fingerprint files either. I asked if I was allowed to remove the file from their system. They said "Yes, and contact SS Compliance Team". So, I have some control about what happens to my information in their system, but I can not get a copy of the eFile that I want.

Now looking for other options than just SS purchases, because my next purchase may not be available through SS.

From experience:
    The quality of the prints from a digital scanner is shitty.
    For them to be any good, the platen should be cleaned between each scan. Not sets of prints, but between each individual finger. Otherwise, the oil fills in or smears.
    Properly done ink prints are much better.
    How the hell did you get ink under your fingernails?
    I just did 11 sets of prints for a guy a couple of weeks ago (22 cards) and he didn't have ink under his nails after we were done.

Definitely do digital fingerprints for the ATF. Last year paper prints were taking much longer than those who submitted paper prints. Plus, you can keep using the digital prints so after the initial cost there’s not any charges going forward. A lot of the UPS stores do digital prints. Easy and quick from my experience.

Reactions: mebgardner
    From experience:
    The quality of the prints from a digital scanner is shitty.
    For them to be any good, the platen should be cleaned between each scan. Not sets of prints, but between each individual finger. Otherwise, the oil fills in or smears.

If you were me standing in front of the UPS Person getting scans, would you tell them to do this while they were pulling your prints?

Resurrecting an old thread. Yesterday, I asked SS to give me a copy of my kiosk-scanned fingerprint file.

They refused.

The employee who was on the other end of the chat stated that employees can not obtain their fingerprint files either. I asked if I was allowed to remove the file from their system. They said "Yes, and contact SS Compliance Team". So, I have some control about what happens to my information in their system, but I can not get a copy of the eFile that I want.

Now looking for other options than just SS purchases, because my next purchase may not be available through SS.

I have bought stuff through my local dealer that has a kiosk that wasn't ever in silencer shops inventory. They can run anything through the system, doesn't have to come through silencer shop.

I do know my store paid a good chunk of $ to buy a kiosk.

It makes sense that they're not giving fingerprint cards out in digital form. Too many opportunities for fraud.

My sheriff's dept does electronic fingerprints and just prints as many cards as you want. I used to have to get them done yearly for the wife's business, and I'd just have them print me 16 copies for $5. Give the wife her copy and then I had enough left for 5 stamps...

• Haha
    Reactions: mebgardner
    Last year I just went to a local sheriffs office and they did digital prints that came out better than any I’ve done on cards with ink. They printed out as many copies as I wanted and told me that I could come back anytime to get more copies.