• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Digital powder scales good or bad?

stradibarrius

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2017
I currently have a Redding beam scale but am thinking about a digital scale. Opinions pros and cons. Also good models

Not sure if the price of a really good digital scale is worth it. I use my chargemaster lite then run it over my 505 scale. I’d like to also hear everyone’s thoughts on this and is there a digital scale that’s worth using but not overly expensive.

$500 plus, really if it’s effective and makes a big difference then that’s not unreasonable but I probably can’t shoot better than the difference this makes. I could be wrong.

I have 3 beam scales, a Lyman, Lee safety (HAHAHAHA) and a new old stock RCBS 10-10.
I also have an older RCBS Powder Pro scale with matching powder dispenser.
I trust my beam scale 100% and use it to check my electronic scale.
YMMV

I have 3 beam scales, a Lyman, Lee safety (HAHAHAHA) and a new old stock RCBS 10-10.
I also have an older RCBS Powder Pro scale with matching powder dispenser.
I trust my beam scale 100% and use it to check my electronic scale.
YMMV

Yeah same here with the beam. I’ve heard of good digital scales drifting My RCBS will drift a /10th but the beam keeps it honest. If it’s going to make it less consistent then not worth the price.

Reactions: Caveman Jim
$500 plus, really if it’s effective and makes a big difference then that’s not unreasonable but I probably can’t shoot better than the difference this makes. I could be wrong.

You can get a new FX120i for under $500 from the distributors that offer the autotrickler - just don't get the trickler with it. More accurate, quicker to settle. This is probably one of the best upgrades I made to my reloading bench (was using a $300 Sartorius prior).

Why would you want an electronic scale if you have to keep checking it for accuracy?

I only run a beam scale but my buddy runs a digital and he is constantly having to check it and re-zero it so im not a big fan, plus my beam scale will never run out of batteries.

Not sure if the price of a really good digital scale is worth it. I use my chargemaster lite then run it over my 505 scale. I’d like to also hear everyone’s thoughts on this and is there a digital scale that’s worth using but not overly expensive.
How far off is your charge lite, if it is. I have one myself but never ckd it with anything else. Just wandering

Going through this dilemma myself. Very hard to find a good digital scale that people done have problems with for under $200-$300 it seems

Started with a Denver Instruments APX-153.
Also have AND FX120i, Entris 64.

quality electronic scale isn’t cheap but is darn consistent.
Guys constantly checking their electronics scales have low quality scales and/or haven’t purchased quality check weights.
Like most things, you pay for quality.

Can you shoot difference?
RCBS ChargeMaster set for 44.0, only used charges metered by CM that showed 44.0 gr.
Varied on my DI APX-153 from 43.96 to 44.04 when said 44.0 for each.
308 sized case, 1 gr is worth about 80 fps.
0.1 gr is 8 fps.
.08gr is 6.4 fps

Case capacity increases, charge weight matters less.
Case capacity reduces, charge weight matters more.
300 BO subsonic, charge weight matters a lot if you want quiet and accurate.

Closer I can make everything to exactly the same, better it is between my ears which usually correlates to better groups on targets at distance.

AND FX120i is my lower limit for a quality electronic scale.
YMMV

Very hard to find a good digital scale that people done have problems with for under $200-$300 it seems

True, but for a couple hundred more, you can get one. (120i). I tried finding lower cost scales, moving up one at a time. Had I just started with a 120i, I would have saved $$.

Reactions: mtnhunter22
I've been using my RCBS beam scale for many years, great results, and the price was right.

how accurate is your chargemaster checked on the beam scales

Based on @FCS info... I'll stick with my Chargemaster. More than accurate enough for anything I'm shooting.

Hell, the neck tension differences are probably enough to have more effect than .1gr difference from the scale.

Reactions: PAYDIRT
Start with the fx120i.

Cheap scales are horrendous and vary wildly. The Hornady auto-thrower scale was maybe within a .1, usually .2

My groups shrunk with a fx120. At $450 I won't ever bother with a $120 gempro or the likes again.

Everyone pisses on the CM Lite like it’s some cheap Chinese piece of sh... wait...

I use a CM Lite exclusively and have zero issues with it. It’s as fast as I am, maybe 5% overthrows and nets me consistent velocity, SD’s and ES’s that work beyond competition range.

Id use an FX120i again if you gave me one. But honestly, for loading lots of precision ammo within my particular circumstances, the CM Lite was a better scale for me.

I use a CM lite as well. I get single digit Sd's . I have found that keeping dryer sheets underneath and wipeing around the out side keep the static out which make it drift less. Also a piece McDonalds straw helps with over throws tremendously.

I used the RCBS Charge Master. I love it. I've found it to be extremely accurate with its charges when I checked it by beam scale.

It comes with two 50g checkweights so every 10 rounds or so, I put one on and just check to make sure it's coming out exactly as it's supposed to.

I purchased the Lyman Gen6 Powder Dispenser in Q3 of 2019 and am very pleased with it after about 600 reloads. Easy calibration, quick operation and measures consistently to 1/10th of a grain with extruded Varget powder. It removes the tedious hand-scale measuring and let's you focus more on the process. It is also rather compact and tucks away nicely. Perhaps 1 load in 15/20 it might under-load by 1/10th of a grain. If I feel so inclined, I toss in a smidgen of powder to bring it up.

Having used some Lyman case preparation tools in the past, including their nice ultra-sonic cleaner, I was confident in the company.

However, in the end, it often depends on how each tool fits with your actions.

FX-120i. Mine does.not.drift. While I have a class-1 100-gram calibration weight for it, I can quickly check calibration at the beginning of a session using the pan from my beam scale. It weighs 145.10 grains.

If it varies even 0.02 grains (grains, not grams) - the limit of the scale - I check leveling and environmental factors. My loading table is fairly small and was moved to a heavy-pile-carpeted room a couple of months ago. The scale has a sensitive, built-in bubble level, which would move slightly as the table settled into the carpet. It has been stable now for a few weeks.

I also know exactly how close the head of my 1960s-era swing-swivel-arm florescent desk lamp can get before it affects the scale (which is plugged into a high-quality power-filter strip). I know that, on really cold days, air currents can have an effect when the heat comes on; I have mitigated that via where the table is placed.

Bottom line is I can't imagine a more stable scale than the FX-120i without spending a lot more money and putting it on a really heavy/stable bench.

Reactions: spife7980
Everyone pisses on the CM Lite like it’s some cheap Chinese piece of sh... wait...

I use a CM Lite exclusively and have zero issues with it. It’s as fast as I am, maybe 5% overthrows and nets me consistent velocity, SD’s and ES’s that work beyond competition range.

Id use an FX120i again if you gave me one. But honestly, for loading lots of precision ammo within my particular circumstances, the CM Lite was a better scale for me.
I’m in the same boat
I use the Hornandy version.

The only reason I’d upgrade is to get faster throw times.

I’m in the same boat
I use the Hornandy version.

The only reason I’d upgrade is to get faster throw times.
Not because its pimp too?
Image result for the other guys gator gif

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
As far as shooting the difference between a cheap scale and expensive scale......everyone can shoot the difference if the scale gives enough variance for ES to be enough to miss your target size.

So, check the target size vs distance vs ES your scale is producing. If the ES is enough to miss the target when aiming at the center (high or low), then you can absolutely shoot the difference.

People mainly think about groups at close distances when they talk about “shooting the difference.”

You can get a new FX120i for under $500 from the distributors that offer the autotrickler - just don't get the trickler with it. More accurate, quicker to settle. This is probably one of the best upgrades I made to my reloading bench (was using a $300 Sartorius prior).
Why should one NOT get the trickler with it?? I have the auto throw and trickler and I really like it.

Started with a CM and Gempro250. Even with a custom reducing insert it still would overthrow 1 every 10-20 rounds. That was enough for me. Not to mention it is slower at dispensing full charge weights once you get up above the 70 grains of powder. Sold both of them and bought an FX120i with autotrickler and full Area419 accessories. Best reloading investment I've made. saves time. It's faster. and it's more precise. Don't have to wait for a beam to settle either. I check mine at the beginning of a loading session with a F1 class 100g weight that I bought with the kit. Have only had to re-calibrate it twice since owning it and its partially due to the fact that it's settling on a bench/desk that is on carpet so it wasn't perfectly level. Less time at the bench loading = more time shooting (or doing other life stuff) is a win-win for me. Save up and buy one you won't regret it.

Why should one NOT get the trickler with it?? I have the auto throw and trickler and I really like it.

Cost vs volume I load. Though I will say that I'm considering the auto trickler.

I’ll jump on the fx120i with the auto throw and trickler wagon! I had a PACT scale with a thrower and it worked ok. but I got so tired of recalibration and constantly checking for drift. So when, after years of service, it started giving me issues I got the fx setup. WOW! It is so fast. You calibrate and set wt with your phone, adjust the thrower to be close for the powder you are using and get after it. For a few hundred rounds, like reloading for a prairie dog shoot, it sure makes reloading fast!

I'm in the CM camp. I calibrate at start of every reloading secession . Yes I do get a few over throws but I learned that if you set the charge weight a couple tenths under your charge you can trickle the rest and it works out pretty good. Bought one of those inserts to help with over throws. IT worked OK but it slowed down the process so much I took it out. I'm sure better shooters would find problems with my ammo but guess I'm not good enough to notice. ;)

If I trickle up with the pan on a chargemaster, the scale will get off by a tenth after a while. Works better for me to use the chargemaster to get close and trickle on a beam. YMMV

I’ve used my CM 1500 for years, now. I run it plugged into a power cleaner, and the straw mod. It’s been a very consistent scale for me. Every once in a while it will drift zero down 1/10th of a grain, but I just rezero and move on.

One day I’ll get a FX120i, but this is working perfectly for me across the 4 calibers I currently shoot.

+1 for the CM 1500. I make sure it's on >30 minutes before I use it and calibrate before every load session. You can always verify that it's holding calibration by making sure the check weights attain the correct mass reading. I have a beam scale, but it just collects dust.

I deliberate with myself whether I should spend the money for something more precise, but honestly I don't think the +/- 0.05 gr is the limiting factor in my personal shooting precision.

I don’t use a straw mod, but one thing that drastically reduced overthrown charges for me was turning the front 2 feet way out so it’s leaning back.

before you shit a cinderblock, I haven’t been able to get the scale to read any different based on level or leaning.

Doubtful that scale can be had for under $500.

Someone just posted a link up the other day where it was available for $450. IF you go right to CE products page, you can input their coupon code thats on the first page and it takes it down to $500 even.

Someone just posted a link up the other day where it was available for $450. IF you go right to CE products page, you can input their coupon code thats on the first page and it takes it down to $500 even.

Got it. Thanks.

Others mentioned how to do it, so I won't repeat. One thing to add is that when you order the "reloading version" (the "lab version" is ~$800-$900 - they are the same scale), it comes set to grains as the default unit of measure. I'm sure you could figure out how to do this on your own, but it's nice when it comes ready to go for reloading.

Interesting, I went onto the web site to order one and it wouldn't take my order. " do not offer shipping to California"

Interesting, I went onto the web site to order one and it wouldn't take my order. " do not offer shipping to California"

I live in CA and the place that I got mine from shipped direct to me. I'll see if I can find which one I got it from - it was one of two that offered the auto trickler.

Started with a Denver Instruments APX-153.
Also have AND FX120i, Entris 64.

quality electronic scale isn’t cheap but is darn consistent.
Guys constantly checking their electronics scales have low quality scales and/or haven’t purchased quality check weights.
Like most things, you pay for quality.

Can you shoot difference?
RCBS ChargeMaster set for 44.0, only used charges metered by CM that showed 44.0 gr.
Varied on my DI APX-153 from 43.96 to 44.04 when said 44.0 for each.
308 sized case, 1 gr is worth about 80 fps.
0.1 gr is 8 fps.
.08gr is 6.4 fps

Case capacity increases, charge weight matters less.
Case capacity reduces, charge weight matters more.
300 BO subsonic, charge weight matters a lot if you want quiet and accurate.

Closer I can make everything to exactly the same, better it is between my ears which usually correlates to better groups on targets at distance.

AND FX120i is my lower limit for a quality electronic scale.
YMMV
Awesome post, thanks